Widgets Magazine

Thread: Springlake Amusement Park (insider addition)

Default Springlake Amusement Park (insider addition)

Before you jump my bones about being repetitive....I get it.

This isn't about the Big Dipper, games or rides, it's my view from being both a fan and employee. Besides working as a life guard, during my off-duty hours I could pick up extra bucks by running the rides on the midway.

One of my favs was the Calypso tilt-a-whirl by the Arcade....there were two controls and they were supposed to be operated simultaneously at all times but when I would get the occasional loud-mouth hero drunk, I could make them sick as a dog by shutting down the inside slower than the larger turning platform.....so if you ever got sick and was a loud-mouth obnoxious drunk at Springlake...it was me that did it.

Next, (if there's interest) I'll talk about the entertainers like Twitty and Cash (behind the scenes)and life at the pool.

Default Re: Springlake Amusement Park (insider addition)

I saw Twitty and Brenda Lee there. Great memories.

Wild Mouse!! Or was that Wedgewood?

Wild Mouse was at Springlake.

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    Wild Mouse was at Springlake.

Actually you're both right...both places had a Wild Mouse....Ahhh yes, Maurise Wood's Wedgewood Village....now there was a piece of work.....OKC society revealed....the emporers were naked after all.

I woked there myself in the arcade, it was so much fun!

Found this Springlake video on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnfc5aUOjJ0

Quote Originally Posted by rondvu View Post
    Found this Springlake video on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnfc5aUOjJ0
    Thanks for the memories. That was great!!!....ahh America, before greed consumed it.

Great video....Brings back some memories for sure. Why did springlake close down?

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Great video....Brings back some memories for sure. Why did springlake close down?
    I can tell you but it wouldn't be politically correct for this overly sensitive forum.

11. Default Re: Springlake Amusement Park (insider addition)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Vail View Post
    I can tell you but it wouldn't be politically correct for this overly sensitive forum.
    You have to tell us.

I was never aware there was another theme park in OKC.

Spill it.

It had nothing to do with Wedgewood. Integration had much to do with it, I would think..........

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    You have to tell us.

I was never aware there was another theme park in OKC.

Spill it.
    OK but just remember you threatened to water-board me if I refused. I lived thru this time so this is first hand knowledge.

Springlake was free to enter at one time and then the gangs began. Partial integration was a factor but the black problem was only part of the gang problem....there were roaming gangs at the state fair making the parking areas a war zone at times.

Springlake turned the several "free" entrances into pay...wasn't much because it was meant as a deterant....and then the parking areas became war zones as well. With cheap thugs roaming the midway it was hardly a wholesome family atmosphere.

Wedgewood was a little slower in developing this problem because of geography...Far out on the NW Highway at that time.....

While googling springlake i came across this pretty interesting site.......Enjoy if you havent seen it.
    http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2007/04/springlake.html

Noah Vail: Loved the Calyso Tilt-a-Whirl. Loved the Arcade. Was there a little caterpillar ride? I would love to hear about entertainers. Seems like I remember the Everly Brothers there. Thanks so much for your input.
    Janey Reynolds Ring

Noah Vail, umm, Calypso and Tilt-a-Whirl were two different rides, as you must certainly remember. Tilt-a-Whirls were at the State Fair but I never saw a Calypso other than Springlake.

Wild Mouse was at Wedgewood.
    JaneyReynoldsRing

Janey, I think there was a Wild Mouse at Springlake as well, in latter days, located in the northwest area of the park. I watched it a lot and decided it was too weird for me.

Never went to Wedgewood till the Johnny Dark Saturday night "hops" featuring usually The Noblemen, but they had the occasional famous groups like Bryan Hyland. Saw my first strobe lights with the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band. Yum. Once, I tried their roller coaster, my last time ever.

The Big Dipper somehow seemed safer, sturdier, what with the woodwork and all.

Yes, Springlake had a wild mouse as did Wedgewood. I think it was in their last few years.
    C. T.

Noah Vail: Yes, America before eveyrone had everything. Back then we enjoyed the simple things in life, like Springlake.
    JaneyReynoldsRing

21. Default Re: Springlake Amusement Park (insider addition)

The reason for Springlake's closing has been discussed in this forum in earlier threads. You can also find the reasons stated in my Springlake blog post and in my Springlake via Arcadia post.

Thread Information