Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New housing developments in Edmond

Default New housing developments in Edmond

Thought I'd start a thread on various new housing developments going in Edmond. Nothing extraordinary though.

Default Re: New housing developments in Edmond

I noticed they have started working on a new neighborhood on the north side of Danforth, between Coltrane and Sooner. I don't know anything at all about it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Debzkidz View Post
    I noticed they have started working on a new neighborhood on the north side of Danforth, between Coltrane and Sooner. I don't know anything at all about it though.
    Yeah, I think I know what you're talking about. I believe it is called something like "Town Square" by McCaleb homes, if I'm not mistaken. Weird name though. lol

5. Default Re: New housing developments in Edmond

McCaleb Homes is building Town Square Commons, which is going in at Crystal Creek and Danforth (north side of steet between Coltrane and Sooner) modeled after their homes in Arbor Creek. http://mccalebhomes.com/wp-content/u...aleb-Plots.pdf

There is also a new addition going in on the south side of Covell just west of Bryant

I noticed that. There is no one who has built on it yet. I'm guessing they're doing completely custom homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Thought I'd start a thread on various new housing developments going in Edmond. Nothing extraordinary though.
    I'm curious about a place called Forest Creek, on Sorghum Mill (north side) between Air Depot and Midwest. There seems to be only one house going up so far, and what a doozy it is!

We just bought a lot in addition called Sweetwater. Should be a beautiful neighborhood on Post rd and about 15th St.

Anyone know what is going on at the SE corner of Danforth/192 & Western? Noticed that they have cleared all of the trees and are doing some dirt work. It looks like it also ties in with the dirt work they are doing around the church around 188th and Western.

Hmmm. I haven't been out there lately, but I'm interested lol... I'll probably check it out. I have no clue to what it might be though.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    Anyone know what is going on at the SE corner of Danforth/192 & Western? Noticed that they have cleared all of the trees and are doing some dirt work. It looks like it also ties in with the dirt work they are doing around the church around 188th and Western.
    I received conformation that it is going to be a new housing addition, but I can't remember the developers name. They didn't know what size of houses they were going to be.

"EDMOND — The Edmond Planning Commission agreed 4-0 this week to recommend the preliminary plat for Covell Valley.

This plat is located on the south side of Covell Road, one quarter mile east of Air Depot. Edmond Public Schools has discussed a potential school near this property to the west of the area, said Bob Schiermeyer, city planner.

Dodson Custom Homes would like to provide 337 lots on the 168.99-acres, said attorney Randel Shadid, representing the developer. Lot sizes will range from 7,200 square feet to 20,000 square feet, Shadid said. "

- See more here Covell Valley will feature 337 lots » Local News » The Edmond Sun

19. Default Re: New housing developments in Edmond

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    "EDMOND — The Edmond Planning Commission agreed 4-0 this week to recommend the preliminary plat for Covell Valley.

This plat is located on the south side of Covell Road, one quarter mile east of Air Depot. Edmond Public Schools has discussed a potential school near this property to the west of the area, said Bob Schiermeyer, city planner.

Dodson Custom Homes would like to provide 337 lots on the 168.99-acres, said attorney Randel Shadid, representing the developer. Lot sizes will range from 7,200 square feet to 20,000 square feet, Shadid said. "

- See more here Covell Valley will feature 337 lots » Local News » The Edmond Sun
    Classic Edmond: Edmond neighbors protest proposed construction of 337 homes | News OK

Edmond neighbors protest proposed construction of 337 homes

One man didn't want children from the new development to play in the neighborhood park.

^
    Yeah, don't want those ghetto 285K homes stinking up the joint. Those rich people paid a lot of money to get away from the dirty masses of the upper middle class.

Only in Edmond....

I really wonder how many projects in Edmond have one through without any kind of protest? I doubt many. . . :/

It is not my intention nor my inclination to stick up for snobbery, and the person worried about the kids playing in the park is a piece of ****. But residents of an area do have the right to attend meetings and voice their opinions about a proposed development near them. One of the things that I find unappealing about the Oklahoma City area in general is that there is often very little attention paid to how one subdivision or development flows into the next. When I look at the growth, for example, north of Quail Springs Mall, I see subdivisions of half-acre lots and right next door are patio homes. It's a little jarring. I see no reason why certain areas of town can't be zoned with a little less density. And others zoned with more density. And if you choose to live in those areas you understand what you're getting. Obviously $285,000 homes are going to be nice, but I suspect most aren't concerned with the price of the house as much as the density. Unless they are truly bad people, which some of them probably are. Of course, where's the acceptable dividing line? $150,000 homes, $50,000 duplexes...

Here's a corollary: what if a developer bought an area near Bricktown and the new Central Park and proposed single-family homes on half-acre lots? We'd all rise up about such a thing. And rightly so.

One other thing - this sort of pock-marked development where there's a $600,000 neighborhood, there's a $200,000 neighborhood, there's an available commercial corner - by all means let's welcome another Sonic, is why OKC has never developed large, contiguous areas of high-income neighborhoods. This hurts us when it comes to per-capita income in a race for the kind of high-end retail we all say we want. That might sound a little snobby - if so, I apologize in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    One other thing - this sort of pock-marked development where there's a $600,000 neighborhood, there's a $200,000 neighborhood, there's an available commercial corner - by all means let's welcome another Sonic, is why OKC has never developed large, contiguous areas of high-income neighborhoods. This hurts us when it comes to per-capita income in a race for the kind of high-end retail we all say we want. That might sound a little snobby - if so, I apologize in advance.
    I agree. I've heard this is one of the reasons most of our most coveted retailers either open in Tulsa first or open in Tulsa only and skip entirely over OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    It is not my intention nor my inclination to stick up for snobbery, and the person worried about the kids playing in the park is a piece of ****. But residents of an area do have the right to attend meetings and voice their opinions about a proposed development near them. One of the things that I find unappealing about the Oklahoma City area in general is that there is often very little attention paid to how one subdivision or development flows into the next. When I look at the growth, for example, north of Quail Springs Mall, I see subdivisions of half-acre lots and right next door are patio homes. It's a little jarring. I see no reason why certain areas of town can't be zoned with a little less density. And others zoned with more density. And if you choose to live in those areas you understand what you're getting. Obviously $285,000 homes are going to be nice, but I suspect most aren't concerned with the price of the house as much as the density. Unless they are truly bad people, which some of them probably are. Of course, where's the acceptable dividing line? $150,000 homes, $50,000 duplexes...

Here's a corollary: what if a developer bought an area near Bricktown and the new Central Park and proposed single-family homes on half-acre lots? We'd all rise up about such a thing. And rightly so.
    You make good points, but I don't think they apply to this situation.

The area around the existing neighborhood has been zoned single family with standard lots for some time now. Your example of half acre lots near Bricktown doesn't work since that area is not zoned for that.

Also, you contradict yourself by saying areas should be set aside for less dense development, then say lack of density hurts OKC when trying to create favorable demographics. And last time I checked, if we followed the 2.5x or 3x rule, you are going to need a income of six figures to afford the type of homes being proposed here. So I fail to see how this will "water down" the income statistics. This isn't a big concern though, since most of that area is pretty empty.

Lets just call it what it is: people who move to a previously undeveloped area who find the though of other people moving into their once rural area upsetting. Its rural NIMBYism run amok. This isn't the first time this has happened and won't be the last. I think this gets approved with little opposition.

Thread Information