Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local

Default Local

LOCAL's ribbon cutting is this Thursday (3/15) at 4pm. Open House will follow until 8pm. Lunch and bar menu now available on their website. www.eatatlocal.com

Default Re: Local

Did anyone go to the opening last week or try it this week? It seems like a pretty cool concept, good menu and not too expensive, but I haven't had a chance to make it to Norman to give it a try yet.

yes, and its a great spot. great food, unique venue. worth a trip

I was at their soft opening Saturday, lunch Tues., and took my 7 yo for milk and cookies yesterday. It's definitely worth a trip! Everything is great but I'm partial to the ox-tail ravioli.

5. Default Re: Local

I ate here last night and I would say this is one of the top places in Norman to eat. It has a very unique menu and feel to it that is very uncommon in Norman.

I am curious about the owners of the place. They put alot of money into starting it up. I am hoping it works out for them.

Went for brunch this Sunday...wow! Much bigger and better put together than I imagined. I think this will be my spot for meeting people who are just passing through town. It has easy access to I-35, and it just has a great feel. Walked away impressed at the whole presentation.

I'm hoping Local spurs the owner of the strip mall in which Local is located to renovate. At the very least, the fascade could use an update. It would also help attract more customers if another building was put in the gigantic parking lot and the parking lot was repaved.

Given how nice and modern it is, Local almost seems out of place being that location.

Wife and I went there this evening. Wow!! One of the best places in the metro to eat. Service was great, prices reasonable and food was outstanding. Going back Wednesday for her birthday.

That's good to hear. I have been trying to go over the past month, but pretty much every review on urbanspoon is pretty negative all around... I'm thinking about giving it another month to work out all the kinks before I try it.

so i don't know if things have changed since may... but my experiance there last night was not a good one. I know some friends who have gone to brunch there several times, and convinced a group of us to go out for dinner there last night. We ordered the truffle chips (great), goat cheese dip (mediocre, but possibly because it came out cold), and the carrot dip (what i ordered and it was not good at all). We then all ordered different Entrees, and it was interesting to see within the variety that we ordered that we all had the same opinion... meh.... most of it was ok, but nothing special... and on entree, the steak pasta, was so terribly by description of the person who ordered it, that we passed it around the table to verify, and we all came to the same conclusion which was not good at all.

now my friends who recommended it had only been to brunch and say that it was much better food then. so perhaps i will try that. But for a thursday night when they were only about 1/3rd full, I was not impressed at all. But the place does look really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    so i don't know if things have changed since may... but my experiance there last night was not a good one. I know some friends who have gone to brunch there several times, and convinced a group of us to go out for dinner there last night. We ordered the truffle chips (great), goat cheese dip (mediocre, but possibly because it came out cold), and the carrot dip (what i ordered and it was not good at all). We then all ordered different Entrees, and it was interesting to see within the variety that we ordered that we all had the same opinion... meh.... most of it was ok, but nothing special... and on entree, the steak pasta, was so terribly by description of the person who ordered it, that we passed it around the table to verify, and we all came to the same conclusion which was not good at all.

now my friends who recommended it had only been to brunch and say that it was much better food then. so perhaps i will try that. But for a thursday night when they were only about 1/3rd full, I was not impressed at all. But the place does look really nice.
    have not been .. but i have heard from others that it has gone way down hill in the last couple of months

13. Default Re: Local

Haven't tried dinner. Brunch is excellent, but way too rich for me. Lunch here could be best in town IMHO: fabulous variety of healthy yummy meals (my fave) & rich meals too for those who don't mind rich food. Service staff and interior design are great as well.

Just had dinner here. It was great, fish was outstanding, risotto was excellent, and I've never seen my girlfriend inhale lasagna so quickly. Sadly, they weren't terribly busy. I'd really like to see them succeed. I have a feeling that if the place was in Midtown OKC or on Western ave, they'd be slammed. Try them out, I found that for Norman, it's a pretty solid option.

When I dined there I had the local black cod (ha ha). It was very good. The cocktails were good. The food was mostly good, but a little hit and miss. Our service was excellent. I would go back if I were in Norman but wouldn't go out of the way to dine there.

16. Default Re: Local

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    Just had dinner here. It was great, fish was outstanding, risotto was excellent, and I've never seen my girlfriend inhale lasagna so quickly. Sadly, they weren't terribly busy. I'd really like to see them succeed. I have a feeling that if the place was in Midtown OKC or on Western ave, they'd be slammed. Try them out, I found that for Norman, it's a pretty solid option.
    Once school is back in session that should help. I would imagine most places see a good slow down with 20-30k people gone for three months.

If any of you are fans of the devil's brew, I strongly suggest visiting LOCAL's bar. They have two of the best bartenders I've ever had serve me working there. I don't mean that in the sense that they are nice guys (they are), either. They mix and pour drinks better than almost anyone else.

I went with my family and some friends of ours on Saturday night. Our friends ordered the bacon wrapped dates for an appetizer and they were awesome! I had the lamb dip and farmer's market salad. Both were good. My wife had the sweet potato ravioli and green chili chowder, which were also both good. The most amazing part was Localville, where we were able to drop our kids off for both their meal and play time. We were able to get in some good conversation time with our friends without the kids interrupting. Service was excellent! The only drawback is that it is Norman.

19. Default Re: Local

Quote Originally Posted by TechArch View Post
    I went with my family and some friends of ours on Saturday night. Our friends ordered the bacon wrapped dates for an appetizer and they were awesome! I had the lamb dip and farmer's market salad. Both were good. My wife had the sweet potato ravioli and green chili chowder, which were also both good. The most amazing part was Localville, where we were able to drop our kids off for both their meal and play time. We were able to get in some good conversation time with our friends without the kids interrupting. Service was excellent! The only drawback is that it is Norman.
    And we thank you for your contribution to our economy. :-P

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    And we thank you for your contribution to our economy. :-P
    Actually, I don't have any problem with Norman, I just wish it were closer (since I live in Oklahoma City).

Actually, I don't have any problem with Norman, I just wish it were closer (since I live in Oklahoma City).
    I feel the same way about a few spots in OKC.

Silly really on my part. The reality is that it's not very time consuming to get anywhere in the greater metro. Yet it seems more and more my desire to go dine at X tends to be outweighed by my unwillingness to put up with inattentive drivers.

perhaps i need to go on a saturday night or for sunday brunch... as i have been three times and dont' want to go back... every time i have gone, my service was terrible and the food was okay at best.... i've only been on weekday nights however, and perhaps that is the problem

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I feel the same way about a few spots in OKC.

Silly really on my part. The reality is that it's not very time consuming to get anywhere in the greater metro. Yet it seems more and more my desire to go dine at X tends to be outweighed by my unwillingness to put up with inattentive drivers.
    I know. It only took me 20 - 30 minutes to get there, but it was worth it simply because they provide child care and they feed your kids in the process. The food, service and atmosphere was a bonus on top of that for me. I could always leave my kids with a babysitter or my parents, but it is nice to know that my kids are not far away and when the meal is over I can just go and pick them up.

Went this past weekend and loved it. Food was great, service was amazing, and had a great ambience. Love the idea and concept of the place and the prices were completely reasonable for what you got. Will definitely be back.

Thread Information