Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Furrs Cafeteria

Default Furrs Cafeteria

Went to eat a Furrs Cafeteria last night on Shield's Blvd. Our waiter informed us that Furrs is moving to a new location around SW 19th in Moore. Anyone else heard of this?

Default Re: Furrs Cafeteria

This makes sense, they closed the Furr's in Norman recently that area in Moore is really growing and I am sure the people in Norman and SW OKC will welcome a new up to date cafeteria.

If an employee told you that, you can pretty much bet it will happen. A move to a new location will be a challenge for them because most of that location's customers are elderly who no longer cook for themselves. Some of those people will go to the new location but most will find a new place that is closeby such as IHOP.

On the other hand they are long overdue for a new location. Furr's has been there for at least 25 years. They have remodeled that place so many times that doing it again would be a waste of money. If they run the place right they can gain a new customer base in Moore.

On the other hand it make me wonder about the fate of Shield's Plaza. I think some new things are on the Horizon.

I heard a rumor the Sheild's Home Depot might close because of the I-240/I-35 interchange rebuild. If you look at the path of the houses that are being torn down, you will notice that path would take out part of Home Depot and part of the gas station. If you bring an exit ramp up to Shields your going to need to expand the intersection.

This would explain why Circuit City suddenly closed and moved to I-240 and Penn.

Home Depot may have bought a portion of Sheild's Plaza and plan to build on the site that Furr's and Langston's sets on. Burlinton, Langston's, Payless and Budget Rent-A-Car will be the only businesses left if Furr's leaves.

I am just merely speculating. I have no proof of any of this so I could be wrong.

Furrs is planning to move to Moore, but it won't be a traditional cafeteria. They'll be trying a new concept closer to a Hometown Buffet / Fire Mountain Grill. That's the word on the street anyway.

My wife's dad lives close to Furr's and he goes over there or Hometown Buffet every day for his lunch I guess he will have a choice of Hometown or Hometown. He is 93 years old and is still driving. I hope he dont decide to drive to Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by Top of the Fridge View Post
    Furrs is planning to move to Moore, but it won't be a traditional cafeteria. They'll be trying a new concept closer to a Hometown Buffet / Fire Mountain Grill. That's the word on the street anyway.
    I think they would really well if they did a open buffet like their competitors. The food is always good anytime I have been to Furr's. I have been hooked on their meatloaf, green jello and mac & cheese since I was kid.

I remember the days when they had a guy playing a grand piano on Fridays. Everytime I would go see my grandparents for a weekend. We would eat Furr's on Friday and then go shop at Woolco where they would buy me a HotWheel to add to my collection. Good Memories.

7. Default Re: Furrs Cafeteria

The only way they'll survive is if they move to a Hometown Buffet-type format.

All the Furr's locations are already all you can eat like GC or Hometown. The only difference is they control the serving sizes because they have the old cafeteira layout.

There is only one cafeteria left in OKC which is the Boulevard Cafeteria in midtown by Saint Anthony.

the shields blvd furrs has been there for more like 35 years, when south shields plaza had a small indoor mall. over the years, the customer base has slowly evaporated, so it's no surprise that they're moving on.

as for home depot, it would surprise me if the interchange affected it. i think the curve is going to be more gradual, thus requiring the removal of the homes and apartment complex... however, i think the interchange will be roughly in the same location as it is now as you proceed as far west as home depot... and as for circuit city, which was on the west side of shields, i'd say that it moved more because of changing demographics and to get farther away from best buy than because of anything else.

as for cafeterias... there's luby's on north may, and i'm sure there are still a few others. i'll agree that cafeterias are a dying breed. -M

Quote Originally Posted by Legal View Post
    My wife's dad lives close to Furr's and he goes over there or Hometown Buffet every day for his lunch I guess he will have a choice of Hometown or Hometown. He is 93 years old and is still driving. I hope he dont decide to drive to Moore.
    Since I live in Moore I hope he doesn't make the drive either legal

I have heard it will be in front of Lowes area - and it's a new concept/building:

Furr's Family Dining - About Us - News & Events

Quote Originally Posted by aintaokie View Post
    Went to eat a Furrs Cafeteria last night on Shield's Blvd. Our waiter informed us that Furrs is moving to a new location around SW 19th in Moore. Anyone else heard of this?

Sounds good to me...We will take any and all new concept restaurants in Moore even if it's buffet

And in related news....I heard the Applebee's in Moore will be closing as it is underperforming

Not a big loss imo

I have to say that I ate there "Applebees" one time...Food was awful...Service worse...and there was practically no one in there...I mean..Bad service when a restruant is very busy...I can understand...but an almost empty restruarant with NO service...inexcusable....
    So never went back...
    Cindy

Isn't there a Furr's in French Market Mall on N. May?

yes there is a Furr's in French Market Mall, I eat there about once a month, food is still quite good.

There is also a Furr's on Air Depot in Midwest City. I eat there every couple of months I like it better than the one on Shields.

And in related news....I heard the Applebee's in Moore will be closing as it is underperforming
    That would be disappointing to me; my family has eaten at that location several times and it has always been good. I know that conflicts with some other experiences related here, but I for one would be disappointed to see it go.

-soonerdave

Got this from Moore's website

Market Fresh Buffet UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Market Fresh Buffet, a concept owned by the Furr's Corporation, announced they will build a restaurant in Moore. They will be located along Interstate Drive just north of Freddy's Frozen Custard.

Though I hate to see any restaurant or retailer leave the Moore area, that Applebee's was nasty. On our last visit, just as I was discovering a hair in my food, a lady at the table next to us took a big bite of mashed potatoes... then reached into her mouth to pull out the Kleenex that was in the taters! I have never been so grossed out.

Sorry to share that story near lunchtime.

20. Default Re: Furrs Cafeteria

I learned yesterday that the Furr's Buffet format is all that is currently being built. I was told there will be no renovations of existing stores, but only newly-built buffet locations. There are also no immediate plans to close the old, "Furr's Cafeteria" locations, but that eventually there will be a full transition.

--------------

21. Default Re: Furrs Cafeteria

Oh that is JUST great, more old people driving through that intersection is really what we need here in Moore. Although, Furrs DOES have some awesome mac & cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by CMSturgeon View Post
    Oh that is JUST great, more old people driving through that intersection is really what we need here in Moore. Although, Furrs DOES have some awesome mac & cheese.
    Furr's and Wallyworld in the same area. Driver's beware... GEEZER ZONE AHEAD

23. Default Re: Furrs Cafeteria

Furr's and Wallyworld in the same area. Driver's beware... GEEZER ZONE AHEAD
    Wallyworld. Hum. I thought that was a takeoff of Disneyland in the movie "Vacation." I have never been there. Where is it?

JavaDaves Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson View Post
    Wallyworld. Hum. I thought that was a takeoff of Disneyland in the movie "Vacation." I have never been there. Where is it?
    Wal-Mart

25. Default Re: Furrs Cafeteria

Wallyworld is a nickname for Walmart, andy.

Thread Information