Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did Sonic in Quail Springs Mall close?

Default Why did Sonic in Quail Springs Mall close?

Went to the mall tonight, and its closed up and empty. Stinks. We always bought our drinks and stuff there to sneak into movies.

Default Re: Why did Sonic in Quail Springs Mall close?

Quote Originally Posted by OKC4me View Post
    We always bought our drinks and stuff there to sneak into movies.
    Maybe that's why

A bummer, that. Really. They're a beverage original, if by original we can say "take an old idea no one else does these days, really, and popularize it".

I'll miss them.

I bet AMC called the health dept. on them! Haha.

I have no information on why they closed, but I can't help but wonder if Sonic in a mall was a good "fit." Although Sonics are generally pretty clean operations, the one at Quail seemed kinda, well, nasty sometimes.

Wasn't there a Sonic at Penn Square that's since been closed? Or am I getting confused? I know there's one at Crossroads, and its only been open a year or so, and I can't fathom it is going to last....

Quote Originally Posted by OKC4me View Post
    Went to the mall tonight, and its closed up and empty. Stinks. We always bought our drinks and stuff there to sneak into movies.
    I didn't think you had to sneak food and drinks into the movies at Quail - it is allowed if I'm not mistaken...

Quote Originally Posted by Chynna802 View Post
    I didn't think you had to sneak food and drinks into the movies at Quail - it is allowed if I'm not mistaken...
    It's my understanding that, depending on the movie house, most places these days will at least look the other way if you have food or drinks with you. (maybe they'll ask per law if there's alcohol in your beverage container---which of course there isn't). I haven't placed this into practice in a long time. A half-fast effort to disguise your goodies is appreciated.

However, be a little more discreet than normal when doing this at Northpark. I had a friend tell me about buying some of the conveniently-placed-at-the-front theatre-sized candy at the adjacent Walgreen's, only to be confronted by the manager upon arriving at the cinema that saw him and his buddies talking to the cashier about this. He told them in a discouraging tone to not sneak anything in. :P

The AMC in Quail will allow you to take food into the theater AS LONG AS you bought it in the mall food court.

As for Sonic and why they closed it is due to a plumbing problem that started back in June underneath Sbarros. I used to work at Sbarros unfortunately and back in June I kept telling Kim, the store manager, that the sinks were draining slower and slower every time i would do the dishes. Finally one night the drains just stopped. The next day I went into work and we were closed cause the drains had backed up and dropped all kinds of nastiness into the store. We stayed closed for a couple days, the mall maintinance crew said a pipe had collapsed under Sonic. The closed Sonic in July, tore up the floor but problem wasnt there. Tore up the floor in front of Sweis and supposedly fixed it. Sbarros and I then parted ways in late July so I couldnt tell you exactly what it is, but I would be willing to bet that it is still stemming from that same "collapsed pipe".

Quote Originally Posted by kristae View Post
    The AMC in Quail will allow you to take food into the theater AS LONG AS you bought it in the mall food court.

As for Sonic and why they closed it is due to a plumbing problem that started back in June underneath Sbarros. I used to work at Sbarros unfortunately and back in June I kept telling Kim, the store manager, that the sinks were draining slower and slower every time i would do the dishes. Finally one night the drains just stopped. The next day I went into work and we were closed cause the drains had backed up and dropped all kinds of nastiness into the store. We stayed closed for a couple days, the mall maintinance crew said a pipe had collapsed under Sonic. The closed Sonic in July, tore up the floor but problem wasnt there. Tore up the floor in front of Sweis and supposedly fixed it. Sbarros and I then parted ways in late July so I couldnt tell you exactly what it is, but I would be willing to bet that it is still stemming from that same "collapsed pipe".
    Seems an odd reason to close a location that is profitable...seems like they would have just moved to another spot or reopened by now.

Quote Originally Posted by kristae View Post

You are probably right. We were there last weekend and Sonic was closed due to plumbing problems. I'm surprised they are shut down completely?

Wasn't there a Sonic at Penn Square that's since been closed?
    as of last Friday, it was still open.

Hallelujah!!! Maybe it had something to do with them having the most incompetent staff ever in the history of fast food. It's not hard to make a burger with mustard. Not mayo but mustard. I can understand mistakes, but after the third one just refund my money. And no I can't wait for you to find your favorite song on your ipod before you take my order!

I can't imagine it being closed. That place was always packed. Of course, that could have indicated the inefficiency of the staff.

Quote Originally Posted by kmf563 View Post
    Hallelujah!!! Maybe it had something to do with them having the most incompetent staff ever in the history of fast food. It's not hard to make a burger with mustard. Not mayo but mustard. I can understand mistakes, but after the third one just refund my money. And no I can't wait for you to find your favorite song on your ipod before you take my order!
    While you are absolutely right, they did have the WORST SERVICE EVER (employees talking on their cell phones while trying to take your order!!??) - the paper signs posted on the backs of the cash register facing the dining area say they are closed for plumbing problems.

My guess at this point since it has taken so long that:

1) Repairs are extremely expensive;
    2) Mall wants Sonic to help foot the bill;
    3) Sonic says "nope" this isn't our issue;
    4) Mall says, "fine, we won't fix it."

Either that, or fixing the problem will cause other businesses to close. I'm wondering if they are just waiting on their lease to expire then will vacate.

I'm really bummed. I rather liked getting my diet coke with lime for the movie...complete with Sonic cruncy ice. No way in hades will I pay movie theatre prices for concessions.

Edit: I called QS just out of curiosity and was told that it "is gone." Guess they're not coming back. Every time I went, they were packed, but I agree, if it wasn't their plumbing, it was their customer service that did them in. Bummer.

14. Default Re: Why did Sonic in Quail Springs Mall close?

Too bad. I often got drinks there before the movie. I agree some sonic's seem to have a service problem. The one at Crossroads is really bad, as are the TWO CLOSEST locations to the corporate headquarters--Bricktown and Sheridan & Classen.

I was told by a rep of the mall that Sonic had literally moved out overnight with no notice to the mall...QS now has them in litigation.

I believe this particular location is (was) a franchise store.

And yes, it was a nasty, unkept store.

Almost all Sonic locations are franchises.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyokc View Post
    I was told by a rep of the mall that Sonic had literally moved out overnight with no notice to the mall...QS now has them in litigation.

I believe this particular location is (was) a franchise store.

And yes, it was a nasty, unkept store.
    Chances are Sonic may have taken their franchise license. If a franchise operator does not follow the guidelines set by corporate they can lose thier license.

This why so many Burger King's disappeared from OKC a few years ago. Burger King sold to a new company, the franchisee failed to follow the new rules set by the new company. Therefore, the company pulled their licensed and forced them to close the stores.

18. Default Re: Why did Sonic in Quail Springs Mall close?

Burger King came back in the same place, remodeled, in Del City.

I'm still waiting to see about Diary Queen. They came back twice to MWC, each time, same place, but now is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post

I'm still waiting to see about Diary Queen. They came back twice to MWC, each time, same place, but now is gone.
    The same thing happened right across Crossroads Mall

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post

I thought Diary Queen is no-more? I haven't seen Diary Queen here since I was a kid, I thought it was gone forever

They tore down and rebuilt the ones in Edmond and Midwest City in the mid-90's and there was one in Guthrie on I-35 for years. Still surprising they haven't stayed around up there although the poor franchisees have been the culprit most of the time. They are all over down here in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeesFan View Post
    I thought Diary Queen is no-more? I haven't seen Diary Queen here since I was a kid, I thought it was gone forever
    Dairy Queen is definitely alive and well, just not in OKC. That's why they still air commercials. There are still Dairy Queen restaurants in our viewing area. And yep, they are all over Texas, although Sonic is moving in as the new staple of small town life. My hometown, lucky me, has both. AND a Pizza Hut. We were really prosperous!

Quote Originally Posted by jsibelius View Post
    Dairy Queen is definitely alive and well, just not in OKC. That's why they still air commercials. There are still Dairy Queen restaurants in our viewing area. And yep, they are all over Texas, although Sonic is moving in as the new staple of small town life. My hometown, lucky me, has both. AND a Pizza Hut. We were really prosperous!
    I do know they have all over Texas (Probably a million of them), yeah but I didn't really understand why they would air Diary Queen Commericals in Oklahoma City if we don't have any Diary Queens in Oklahoma City, what locations in Oklahoma do they have Diary Queens?

I do know they have all over Texas (Probably a million of them), yeah but I didn't really understand why they would air Diary Queen Commericals in Oklahoma City if we don't have any Diary Queens in Oklahoma City, what locations in Oklahoma do they have Diary Queens?
    DQ is all over rural Oklahoma. The closest store is in Chickasha. My favorite is the one in Clinton. Clean store, friendly staff and freezer full of the DQ classic ice creams for the freezer at home.

what locations in Oklahoma do they have Diary Queens?
    I know of one in Wetumka, OK.

Thread Information