Widgets Magazine

Thread: Thank You Sports Animal!!!

MadMonk Guest

Default Thank You Sports Animal!!!

Got a call this morning from the Sports Animal radio station telling me that I won a pair of OU/TX tickets! I just got back from picking them up. WHOO HOOO!

This will be my first trip down there. Cotton Bowl, here I come!

Anyone know the best Hotel to stay in for Saturday night? Any great stories or horror stories about an OU/TX weekend?

2. Default Re: Thank You Sports Animal!!!

Congratulations!! Take SoonerDave with you - he's been searching high and low.. lol

That's too cool! Way to go
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Default Re: Thank You Sports Animal!!!

madmonk...You are going to have a hard time finding a hotel nearby this late in the game...No worries just choose the closest one possible to the fairgrounds...Only recommendation is to leave 3 hours early as the traffic tie up is legendary

Great atmosphere down there with 1/2 the stadium always cheering no matter what happens...Wasn't much fun walking around the fair afterwards last year to say the least

Congrats and let's kick some butt

MadMonk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post
    Congratulations!! Take SoonerDave with you - he's been searching high and low.. lol

That's too cool! Way to go
    No offense to SoonerDave, but if I tried to go without my wife I'd be spending a LOT of time on the couch.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    madmonk...You are going to have a hard time finding a hotel nearby this late in the game...No worries just choose the closest one possible to the fairgrounds...Only recommendation is to leave 3 hours early as the traffic tie up is legendary
    I'd thought that might be a problem. If nothing else we may end up just driving back after the game is over. I'd like to make it an overnight stay though.

Great atmosphere down there with 1/2 the stadium always cheering no matter what happens...Wasn't much fun walking around the fair afterwards last year to say the least

Congrats and let's kick some butt

I can't wait. The only down side is that I'm going to be in the north end zone, surrounded by burnt-orange-wearin' cattle-worshippers.

In the north end zone...Can't believe they would do that to you...Will be the greatest seats ever if OU wins

madmonk...The tradition is you only come back on Saturday if OU loses...no need to spend unecessary money in Texas

6. Default Re: Thank You Sports Animal!!!

This one is available - price range $67-80, either call or book through Travelocity.. it's about 8 miles from the Cotton Bowl according to the description.

Comfort Suites Mesquite
    Mesquite Area

2110 NORTH BELTLINE ROAD
    Mesquite, TX 75150
    More Hotel Info
    Comfort Suites Mesquite is located approximately eight miles from the Cotton Bowl, 17 miles from the West End area of Dallas, and 50 miles from Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport.

MadMonk Guest

Thanks. We've booked here:
    The Renaissance Dallas

The interesting thing is, I checked it on Travelocity and they quote me $259/night. I booked through Marriott's website and got the room for $149. Sort of makes me mistrust Travelocity!

8. Default Re: Thank You Sports Animal!!!

Oh Good, I'm glad you found something.. yeah, it always pay to compare prices.. at any rate, have fun!!! Whoo hooo!!!

hey madmonk...how was it sitting in the enemy section during the second half of OU's meltdown?...Had to be difficult

ChristianConservative Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk
    I can't wait. The only down side is that I'm going to be in the north end zone, surrounded by burnt-orange-wearin' cattle-worshippers.
    Are you serious? Why would the Sports Animal give away tickets in the Texas section? How stupid.

MadMonk Guest

It was fun until the Sooners fell apart in the 2nd half. We were down on the 10th row, right behind the band. (If I never hear another cowbell for the rest of my life I won't be sad about it.) We left with about 2 minutes left to play and it was like running a gauntlet of jeers. They were good-natured for the most part, but I gave as good as I got, believe me.

As for the tickets, they're free so I'm not going to gripe! There were about a dozen or so Sooner fans in our immediate vicinity, with a surprising number more sprinkled around the north end zone area. The guy sitting next to us won his seats through a contest where he kept his hand on some car the longest or something.

Anyway, here's a few pics:
    The obligatory "Big Tex" picture :

The Pride of Oklahoma marching into the stadium:

Our section (15):

The view from our seats (10th row):

Burnt (puke) orange on one side, crimson on the other:

At least you had some other people in crimson around you for some protection...What did you think about the cotton bowl?...It's a dump, but it's a crazy atmosphere huh?

Keith Guest

Hey, those are great pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us. Even though the Sooners didn't win, at least you got to have an experience of a lifetime.

MadMonk Guest

At least you had some other people in crimson around you for some protection...What did you think about the cotton bowl?...It's a dump, but it's a crazy atmosphere huh?
    Yeah, the stadium is in serious need of repair and renovation. The back of my seat was broken (not that I used it much anyway). The atmosphere was awesome. There's never a quiet moment when the teams are on the field. One side or the other is always cheering and chanting. It was a blast.

I have to say that I was very impressed with the Texas state fair too.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Hey, those are great pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us. Even though the Sooners didn't win, at least you got to have an experience of a lifetime.
    Exactly. We had a great time before, during and after the game. I'd go down there again next year even if I didn't have tickets.

Thread Information