Widgets Magazine

Thread: Shinn hints he'd probably vote for Sonics relo

Default Shinn hints he'd probably vote for Sonics relo

Sun October 7, 2007

Shinn: I'd vote for Sonics move if NBA OKs it

By Darnell Mayberry
    The Oklahoman

Hornets owner George Shinn is hopeful the Sonics and the city of Seattle reach a deal that will keep the team in Washington.

But Shinn, in a telephone interview with The Oklahoman on Saturday, also said he wouldn't be opposed to voting in favor of the team moving to Oklahoma City if Sonics chairman Clay Bennett applies for relocation next month. Shinn would favor the move only with the NBA's recommendation should the decision come down to a vote of the league's owners.

"Nothing is up to vote on, so I can't comment on that,” Shinn said when asked how he would vote. "And if I were to vote, I don't know if I would tell you anyway.”

Shinn, whose Hornets will be in town to open the preseason against the Houston Rockets on Tuesday at the Ford Center, is one of 30 NBA owners who would have vote on the move. A majority vote is needed to allow a franchise to relocate.

"The bottom line is, what would happen if that comes up is the NBA would put together a complete package that explains to you what's going on and why,” Shinn said. "They would just get down to the bottom line and say, ‘This is our recommendation, but you have a choice to vote the way you want to.'

"I normally vote the way the league recommends because after reading all of their information, they usually come up with sound information. So I would leave it up to the NBA.”

Shinn said he's pulling for Bennett and his Oklahoma-City based ownership group, having gone through a similar dispute with the city of Charlotte when it refused to build his team a new arena.

"All I can say is you feel like you're doing something right and you're dealing with the bureaucrats who feel like they're doing things right,” Shinn said, "and you find yourself between a rock and a hard place and it's difficult to maneuver. Hopefully sane minds will come together and make things work (in Seattle). That's my opinion, and that's what should eventually happen.

"It's not my situation. But I hope they work it out. They've been saying that they want to try to get an arena. I still believe that's their intention and goal. I think it could still be worked out. I just wish them the best on whatever they want to do.”

Shinn said he holds Bennett and his group in very high regard, although the two sides failed to reach an agreement on an ownership partnership for the Hornets. While his team played in Oklahoma City over the past two seasons, Shinn looked to acquire minority owners. Bennett wanted a majority share.

A deal was never reached.

"I think they're exceptional business people.” Shinn said. "I think they're bright, and I think they've got a plan and are working their plan and it's going to work out.”

Shinn is hoping for the same with his franchise. The Hornets have made their full-time return to New Orleans, their pre-Hurricane Katrina home. Nearly 6,000 season tickets have been sold and the team has sold 54 of their 57 luxury suites.

"They're just like I am,” Shinn said of the Sonics' owners. "They're goal-oriented people.”

SouthsideSooner Guest

Default Re: Shinn hints he'd probably vote for Sonics relo

Here's another couple of quotes from this mornings paper.

How will you remember your two years in Oklahoma City?

The best way I can describe it is very blessed. It was an incredible experience. It was one that I was obviously concerned about after going through the storm. I was in a state of fright. I didn't know what was going to happen, but we were thoroughly embraced by the city. I was just overcome with how the business community, the political leadership from the governor to the mayor and the entire city embraced us. I will forever be grateful and will do anything I can to help Oklahoma City get an NBA team. I think they're very deserving.

What should Oklahoma City know about the business side of the NBA if a team ever comes here?

I think that they've done everything right. I think that they've got to use good judgment in trying to make the right decision in trying to help make the team successful, and there are a lot of things you can do. I think Mayor (Mick) Cornett is very aware of those things. Really, the advice you tell the community is just embrace the team and support them. That's the key ingredient.

With some owners demanding so much from cities, how would you explain to fans why some owners do what they do?

My opinion has long been that taxpayers should not support professional sports teams. I think what they should do is give them a venue in which to play, whether it's a practice facility or arena or whatever. The city should do that. But as far as propping them up and guaranteeing, I think it's up to the people who own the team to put together a good sales team and to put a good product on the floor and then the fans would support them. That's my opinion. Maybe I'll get into deep trouble sometime and might change my mind.

NewsOK: Q&A with Hornets owner George Shinn

3. Default Re: Shinn hints he'd probably vote for Sonics relo

I wish the timing of this article would have been different.

Although I know Shinn really loved OK and has said it before....my first thought was that he was trying to get us to buy tickets again..

I hate to think that way! But, I know I've become much more jaded when it comes to sport's teams. It just seems contrived that Shinn would be so complimentary right before the game today ( a game which hadn't sold many tickets at the time of the interview.)

At any rate, I'm glad he was so welcomed here.. it definitely reflected well on our state and community. I miss the Hornets.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Thread Information