Widgets Magazine

Thread: Best place to work in OKC

Thumbs up Best place to work in OKC

I know there is a thread about the worst place to work, so thought I would start one about the best place to work in OKC. My vote is for Farmers Insurance at Shepherd Mall. I have been there for over 6 years now, they appreciate their employees, provide good benefits and participate in the community. It's the best place I've ever worked.

Default Re: Best place to work in OKC

My nephew works at that Farmers location too and they have been very good to him.

He makes a good living for a kid just a few years out of college and I know he's been promoted at least once.

I drove by there this afternoon and could not believe how many cars were there. I am glad to here it is a good place to work.

Farmers is also one of the few major employers here that is adding jobs, rather than downsizing (like Dell, AOL, etc.).

Am I right in thinking that the AOL call center is no longer open in Shepherd Mall?
    If so, is there anybody currently occupying that space?

AOL closed the call center about a year ago. I believe that the space is empty, but I may be wrong.

I thought that was the case. I was driving east on 23 and could not see past all of the cars at the State Farm side of the mall to see if there were any cars on the north side. Just curious.

I think it's all in the eye of the employee. I have heard the exact opposite from people who work and did work at Farmers. I also think it depends on which department you work in and who your boss is. Boss's don't realize how much they represent the company sometimes I think.
    It's like Chesapeake. Great company to work for, wonderful benefits, lots of money...except if you work in the audit or tax department. You would think you worked for the worst company in the world in that department.
    Same way with my current employer - different departments have different opinions on whether their job is a good one or not.

I think the State of Oklahoma is the best employer. Your benefits ( health, dental, vision, etc.) are basically paid for with the benefit allowance.
    When it rains it pours... but when the blessings come they overflow!

Quote Originally Posted by kmf563 View Post
    I think it's all in the eye of the employee. I have heard the exact opposite from people who work and did work at Farmers. I also think it depends on which department you work in and who your boss is. Boss's don't realize how much they represent the company sometimes I think.
    It's like Chesapeake. Great company to work for, wonderful benefits, lots of money...except if you work in the audit or tax department. You would think you worked for the worst company in the world in that department.
    Same way with my current employer - different departments have different opinions on whether their job is a good one or not.

Is this under the direction of "Linda"???? I have heard some bad stories about that department as well, with her as the Manager........

I don't remember names, I only made it 6 months before I showed my flair. The big manager over the department was a guy and he was really nice, but had no clue what was going on in his department. 2 ladies ran the thing and one of them was on maternity leave. The whole department was just screwy though. I never had anyone train me but kept getting yelled at for not doing it right. We had meetings almost every day that were a complete waste of time. Their deadlines were unreasonable. And most of the people that worked in that department were afraid of losing their job so they were real competitive and backstabbing. No one was nice to anyone. I had one girl who ate lunch with me and she was only there a month prior to when I started. She quit after I was there 2 weeks.

Terrible terrible department. But I hear the rest of the company is fantastic.

Well, if that was just recently, then yes, it was her.....2 of the women that used to work in auditing ended up here where I now work, and they dished about how awful she was to work for. I know people are entitled to their own tactics, but I'll never understand why some people have to be that way....on one instance, one person had left a "book" on her desk, instead of locking it in her file cabniet, the next morning, the Mgr (Linda) and her croonie had taken the book to "teach" this person a lesson...They set it up to make it look like she needed to bring it right away to Linda's office the minute she got there.....little games like that, I have no use for...and I wouldn't work for a company that allowed things such as that....life is way too short!!!

13. Default Re: Best place to work in OKC

It doesn't seem short.

14. Default Re: Best place to work in OKC

My g/f works for Farmers, and she works at least 10 hours of overtime a week, and gets no overtime/comp-time at all. Aside from that, she likes it well enough. They pay her fairly well I guess.

I work with a couple of guys that have worked there that hated the place.

MadMonk Guest

I don't know what the best job in OKC is, but this has to be near the top of the worldwide list - Lamborghini Test Driver.
    Lamborghini Diablo Test Drive

16. Default Re: Best place to work in OKC

lol, that would be fun! I've always thought a video game tester would be a fun occupation or a wine taster! Ideal world... both, lol
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

17. Default Re: Best place to work in OKC

Working at Cox Cable?

Thread Information