Widgets Magazine

Thread: Walmart no longer cheap!!!

Default Walmart no longer cheap!!!

at one point in time, say roughly 20-25 yrs ago, walmart was indeed a place where one could go to find great values on everyday items.

this was in an era long before their dreaded supercenter concept stores that are everywhere now.

this was long before mcdonalds formed a partnership with walmart to have a mcd's inside every walmart

it was a small store in comparison to todays mammoth supercenter.

this walmart of yore promoted "made in america" and advertised that it tried to buy from american suppliers whenever possible.

and last but not least, you could honestly walk down any aisle and find prices that hardly any other retailer could match.

top all of this off with an outstanding return policy that was genuinely enforced with large signs that read "you must be 100% satisfied-our policy guarantees it" and it was no wonder that walmart has rose to become the world's largest retailer.

today, walmart has sadly shed this sort of honest and humble "american pride" image. it no longer touts the "buy american" image. gone is the flying smiley face. even the american star that served as a hypen between "wal" & "mart" has been eliminated.

walmart has turned itself a complete 180 into something of a sinister conglomerate. it practices sneaky advertising gimmicks like having specials on certain items and calling it "an everyday low price" then a few weeks later, that same item you bought has now been marked-up.

if they are touting a "rollback" on a product one week, its only because the week before the rollback it was marked up., and one week from now, that same item will be marked back up again. its a little game they like to play to get you into the practice of simply throwing an item into your shopping cart without even noticing what the current price is...you know, those everyday items that you just toss into your cart, without really caring to see how much it actually is.

the most noticeable aisle for such mark-ups would be the beverage aisle. at least, this where i notice them. the walmart brand of soda will remain at their consistent low prices of around 60 cents, but dr. pepper, 7-up, pepsi, and others will continue to have their prices consistently fluctuate week after week. one week its a $1.00, then next week its $1.45.

its the pricing game they like to play.

walmart also knows that consumers shop there for convienence matters. they are open 24 hrs and they stock almost anything you can imagine.

this is where they REALLY GET YOU.

cause if youre someone who stuffs your cart to the overflowing max with goods, theres a good chance youre about to buy something with a ridiculous mark-up. especially in the electronics department & housewares.

their clothes plainly suck. tshirts especially. they feel tissue paper thin, and have a barely inked upon silk screening. anything namebrand like Dickies, OP, Starter, etc is going to be way high and is sure to never reach the clearance racks because foolish customers will see the item and stuff it in their cart at the higher price just because they dont want to have to deal with looking around town or on the internet for the same item for less.

yes, convienence is nice, but its something that eats your wallet or purse later. walmart has basically followed the trend of 7-11, being that 7-11 is the last place youd want to buy medicine because of the ridiculously high prices as well, even though pumping your gas while buying other goods at the same place is a nice concept.

Default Re: Walmart no longer cheap!!!

"their clothes plainly suck. tshirts especially. they feel tissue paper thin..."

I agree with you 100% on that!

Wal-Mart should never be a clothing store

This is a joke, right? You expect Brooks Brothers at Wal Mart? You expect Waterford Crystal? For $4 a tee shirt you should expect one that will last about 4 washings. I guaranty you that on most food items, most household items and a great many other items you can't beat their prices. If you want Tide Detergent, the Tide you buy at Wal Mart is the same as any other store and at a better price - especially with coupons. If you want T-shirts, you will find better quality in other stores at a higher price. It's not the end-all-be-all for every shopper.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    This is a joke, right? You expect Brooks Brothers at Wal Mart? You expect Waterford Crystal? For $4 a tee shirt you should expect one that will last about 4 washings. I guaranty you that on most food items, most household items and a great many other items you can't beat their prices. If you want Tide Detergent, the Tide you buy at Wal Mart is the same as any other store and at a better price - especially with coupons. If you want T-shirts, you will find better quality in other stores at a higher price. It's not the end-all-be-all for every shopper.
    well, 20 yrs or so ago NOBODY expected Walmart to sell: Starter, Dickies, Ocean Pacific, Panama Jack, or other like brands.

20 years ago NO ONE expected Target to sell: Mossimo or Champion sportswear.

and back when Bugle Boy was trendy, no one ever fathomed it now being sold at good ole Family Dollar (or is it Dollar General?)

So, yeah, just give it some time and im sure someday Walmart will be selling Ed Hardy, Dolce & Gabanna, Marc Ecko,The North Face, Dada, Prada, and who knows what else,

6. Default Re: Walmart no longer cheap!!!

Quote Originally Posted by decepticobra View Post
    well, 20 yrs or so ago NOBODY expected Walmart to sell: Starter, Dickies, Ocean Pacific, Panama Jack, or other like brands.
    Let me tell you a secret: Dickies was probably the only clothing carried when Wal-Mart first opened in Arkansas. When I was growing up in the sixties and seventies, you wouldn't be caught dead wearing Dickies. That was Gramps favorite clothes. Grandpa's and boys on the farm and men in the factories were the only people that wore the brand. Today, they're cool. Funny how things happen sometimes. If somebody would have told me back in 1972 that Dickies would one day be a hot "designer" brand, I would have told them they were crazy. I'm not making this up. Honest.

In my opinion, Walmart is just like any other store anymore. All they're good for these days is last minute and throw away items you need but, do not want to drop a bundle on it.

My God, I've never seen a place where so many people obsess over the most inane topics.

Who cares? It's WalMart.

Don't shop there if you think they're evil.

Quote Originally Posted by decepticobra View Post

20 years ago NO ONE expected Target to sell: Mossimo or Champion sportswear.

and back when Bugle Boy was trendy, no one ever fathomed it now being sold at good ole Family Dollar (or is it Dollar General?)

So, yeah, just give it some time and im sure someday Walmart will be selling Ed Hardy, Dolce & Gabanna, Marc Ecko,The North Face, Dada, Prada, and who knows what else,
    If people are still gonna be wearing Ed Hardy shirts in 2030, shirts they bought at Walmart no less, just go ahead and kill me now. Let's get it over with.

Quote Originally Posted by stephy View Post
    My God, I've never seen a place where so many people obsess over the most inane topics.

Who cares? It's WalMart.

Don't shop there if you think they're evil.
    So go read Huffington Post..... and leave us alone so we may enjoy this inane conversation.

Speaking of Ed Hardy, they sell the crap now at Ross and Marshalls. I saw a pair of Hardy jeans at the MWC Marshall's yesterday for like $29 bux.

Oh gosh...how about Guess? OP? Remember those? And those cute little alligators?

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    Oh gosh...how about Guess?
    who could forget those queer little triangles with the question mark on the butt pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    hahaha, i was just about to post this but i see you posted it already. glad i didn't post it twice or else I would have been char-broiled.

Interesting read. I've recently stopped buying my groceries from Walmart but if I need other non-grocery items I might still visit Walmart.

Thread Information