Widgets Magazine

Thread: New Fire Department Construction

1. Default New Fire Department Construction

So what does everyone think about all the new fire stations they are building? As I understand it, they are replacing 3 or 4 of them including Headquarters.

I believe the one on Mid America is moving to Air Depot near West Side and that the old one on north Air Depot is moving to a plot of land on north Air Depot near 10th. I don't remember about HQ....do I have it confused with one of the other ones?

Default Re: New Fire Department Construction

You're right on on first two, but I'm drawing a blank on HQ also.
    I know it's moving - seems like it was a bit east.

Right now, the Mid-America station is 3 1/2 blocks away and they are fast! I've only needed them three times in 22 years (paramedics, not for fire) but they were lifesavers. I'll miss that feeling of security.

We talked to one of the trucks one evening at Chili's (bought dinner for them - they dserved it!) They are not happy about moving from Mid America location, but gotta' make room for a four story hotel/motel. (not sure which)

Yeah, that's what we need....guess I'm turning into a NIMBY on that issue!

3. Default Re: New Fire Department Construction

Isn't HQ off Reno & Midwest BLVD, next to the police HQ? I can't remember anymore...

Yes, that is where HQ is currently located. It will be moving from that location sometime in the near future - can't remember exact location.

5. Default Re: New Fire Department Construction

Well the way I heard their reasoning on station #2 (mid-america) was that they wanted a more direct access road to a major street. Since they are sort of on the side of that circle, then have to drive down the busy traffic on mid-america once its all built up...it would take longer to get out. Plus its sort of a pain to get the trucks back in the "barn" right now.

So if they move out to that plot north of West Side (the south plot is more Town Center land), then they are right on the road and can get to most homes faster. It may take them another minute or so to get to someone on the east portion of the origional mile, but it just means that the response time shifts quicker for the west....because they've had the slower time for all these years already.

Exactly so - I realize the move is for the common good - I was being a bit selfish!

What's the reasoning for moving the HQ. It's centrally located, and has direct access to Reno. My father is retired asst. chief with the department, and served there. As to the other stations I really don't see any problems.

8. Default Re: New Fire Department Construction

I'm not really sure why the HQ's needed to move. I don't really see the logic on that one, unless they feel it no longer serves it's purpose there logistically...or spacially. It may be as simple as they have outgrown the facility. I know the City of MWC will be taking that building over as municpal offices. I'm betting they wall in the garage and make it into more offices and then convert more of city hall over to the police.

9. Default Re: New Fire Department Construction

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I'm not really sure why the HQ's needed to move. I don't really see the logic on that one, unless they feel it no longer serves it's purpose there logistically...or spacially. It may be as simple as they have outgrown the facility. I know the City of MWC will be taking that building over as municpal offices. I'm betting they wall in the garage and make it into more offices and then convert more of city hall over to the police.
    Can you say growth and obsolesence?

I found out yesterday that the HQ is being moved to 15th near the city garage which will make more centrally located. Some people I've talked to don't understand the move of station #2 from it's current location though.

11. Default Re: New Fire Department Construction

Quote Originally Posted by ewoodard View Post
    I found out yesterday that the HQ is being moved to 15th near the city garage which will make more centrally located. Some people I've talked to don't understand the move of station #2 from it's current location though.
    Can you say growth and obsolesence?

12. Default Re: New Fire Department Construction

Well that's enlightening....Well that's enlightening. Oh did I say the same thing twice? LOL.

Station #2 involves a lot more than that mranderson. The station itself it's obsolete and the district hasn't grown at all. In fact it's smaller now because it has more parking lot than before. The reason for #2 is access to a main road. As stated before, Mid-America used to have direct access to 29th with very little traffic. With the Town Center in now, they don't have quick access to 29th to get out to folks. When they move to Air Depot, they will be only 1/2 mile from where they were, but will be directly on a main street. Plus, when they pull back into the station, they can come in from behind on the neighborhood street and pull stright in like they currently do at HQ. That way they don't have to stop traffic to back it up. Those few seconds they would spend getting around traffic and moving through the bussiest intersection on 29th, means more time on the scene. The building is far from old, or small, or obsolete...especially if you compare it to the one on N. Air Depot (i blieve #4?), or Douglas (#5?).

The station on Air Depot is # 3 and Douglas is # 4. Station 5 is on Westminster. You are correct stations 3 and 4 are old and obsolete. They were fairly old when I was growing up in the 70's. Station 2 is not obsolete. It was built no more than 5-8 years before H.Q. was. My father was a Captain for the station soon after it was built. I do see the need for it to be relocated, but what are they going to do with the building itself?

14. Default Re: New Fire Department Construction

I don't know for sure, but I think the current #2 is part of the area that the planned hotel will take up. I'm not exactlly sure how the hotel is supposed to fit in, so I'm sure they will tear up more street right there or something. I'm pretty confused on that whole plan since we know the watertower won't go anywhere.

Thread Information