Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall Street Journal Ranks OKC the fifth-hottest US Job Market

Default Wall Street Journal Ranks OKC the fifth-hottest US Job Market

This is a great indication of the growth in this city and its economy. Everything appears to be rising: job opportunities, labor participation, wages, etc. Great publicity and a testament to where OKC is as a city now, a national player.

https://www.wsj.com/economy/jobs/uta...finds-e67d0171

Default Re: Wall Street Journal Ranks OKC the fifth-hottest US Job Market

According to the article from MoneyGeek OKC is No. 1 for job seekers. Using data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development,
    https://www.moneygeek.com/living/top...s-job-seekers/

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    According to the article from MoneyGeek OKC is No. 1 for job seekers. Using data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development,
    https://www.moneygeek.com/living/top...s-job-seekers/
    That's awesome. Nice find!

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...n/73954962007/

Not bad. Hopefully this trend continues.

People have been saying we are becoming a Global economy for at least 20 years now, but with the rise of remote work people truly can choose where they live if they are a white collar worker. Really, the only thing that holds Oklahoma back is k-12 education system. Kind of hard to do that online, but even how we do that is going to change as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    People have been saying we are becoming a Global economy for at least 20 years now, but with the rise of remote work people truly can choose where they live if they are a white collar worker. Really, the only thing that holds Oklahoma back is k-12 education system. Kind of hard to do that online, but even how we do that is going to change as time goes on.
    And I think that is a bit of a perception issue. Places like Edmond, Jenks, and some of the other suburbs stack up very well nationally.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    And I think that is a bit of a perception issue. Places like Edmond, Jenks, and some of the other suburbs stack up very well nationally.
    I'm not sure about that. AreaVibes scores Edmond 78 for livability. Jenks is 70. Yukon is only 65. Moore is 73. Strangely enough, Stillwater scores 82 for livability. But OU fans can rejoice and be relieved because Norman is rated as a better place to live by one point--83.

Wasn't PhiAlpha referring to the schools?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Wasn't PhiAlpha referring to the schools?
    Yes.

Anecdotally, at least, I don't think this holds up unless the rest of the country is headed for a big economic downturn. I'm in close contact with a large staffing company here in OK and their placements are WAY down, and even where employers want to hire, they don't have the capital to do it with. Times are about to be bad I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I'm not sure about that. AreaVibes scores Edmond 78 for livability. Jenks is 70. Yukon is only 65. Moore is 73. Strangely enough, Stillwater scores 82 for livability. But OU fans can rejoice and be relieved because Norman is rated as a better place to live by one point--83.
    That one point was a hanging chad and the intent of the voter was to give a point to Stillwater and not Norman. The new official score is Stillwater 83 and Norman 82.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Anecdotally, at least, I don't think this holds up unless the rest of the country is headed for a big economic downturn. I'm in close contact with a large staffing company here in OK and their placements are WAY down, and even where employers want to hire, they don't have the capital to do it with. Times are about to be bad I think.
    The economy isn't nearly as strong as what the Fed would like us to believe and it wouldn't surprise me at all to have a nice little recession in the back half of the year now that nobody is really talking about it. That said I think we'll fair pretty well here in Oklahoma compared to what could happen a lot of other places. Economy here is much more diversified than it was in the past which should help. They appear poised to let things run their course at least through the election.

Recession that nobody is taking about? The recession has been coming for like 3 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post
    Recession that nobody is taking about? The recession has been coming for like 3 years now.
    There's has been a lot less talk this year compared to the last couple as many believe the Fed has achieved the soft landing and appear to have everything right where they want it.

Personally think it's laughable and Fed/Fiscal Policy have very little credibility the last 4 years so I'm not sure why they'd be right this time. Good chance they'll leave rates restrictive until it's too late. We'll see though, so far it hasn't happened and it still might not. Massive government spending & federal job creation keeps kicking the can further down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post
    Economists have predicted 18 of the last 3 recessions

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    Economists have predicted 18 of the last 3 recessions
    Truer words were never spoken, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    The economy isn't nearly as strong as what the Fed would like us to believe and it wouldn't surprise me at all to have a nice little recession in the back half of the year now that nobody is really talking about it. That said I think we'll fair pretty well here in Oklahoma compared to what could happen a lot of other places. Economy here is much more diversified than it was in the past which should help. They appear poised to let things run their course at least through the election.
    It’s an interesting statement. I was looking at my w2!and I’m doing about 40% better than the 2010’s and I bout a house in 2017 for 120k in Coronado heights . well I sold it last year for $214 cash. So I’m like this is great. Then I used that to upgrade homes. So all that’s gone. That said the interest rate feels really high. And tends to increase/drop in 1/4’s percent. I’d like to know where this Jerome Powell guy came from or is so I could ring his neck
    And soft landing sounds like an ongoing process that will never end. I think recessions are a “fact of life” in supply side economies.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    There's has been a lot less talk this year compared to the last couple as many believe the Fed has achieved the soft landing and appear to have everything right where they want it.

Personally think it's laughable and Fed/Fiscal Policy have very little credibility the last 4 years so I'm not sure why they'd be right this time. Good chance they'll leave rates restrictive until it's too late. We'll see though, so far it hasn't happened and it still might not. Massive government spending & federal job creation keeps kicking the can further down the road.
    Facts be damned, it's feelings.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    That said the interest rate feels really high.
    And tends to increase/drop in 1/4’s percent. I’d like to know where this Jerome Powell guy came from or is so I could ring his neck
    And soft landing sounds like an ongoing process that will never end. I think recessions are a “fact of life” in supply side economies.
    Interest rates are at approximately the average of the last 200 years of US Economy. Comparing current rates to historic low rates induced by the second worst depression/recession in US history isn't a fair target.

Powell served as an assistant secretary and as undersecretary of the Treasury under President George H.W. Bush. Powell was made Fed Chair by Trump.

What we have now is a bastardization of economic philosophies, trying to take selected populist views of both supply side economic policies and demand side. We have very few in congress who even understand basics of economic theory but take simplistic views they think makes them popular with their voting base and helps them get elected. They would falil most Econ 101 tests. They grossly ignore the mitigating factors and focus on ones that are good political fodder.

We should be lucky that rates are as low as they are with the size of our debt load. Besides curbing inflation, having the ability to lower the fed funds rate makes the Federal Reserve appear useful the next time a recession hits.

I guess the question is what is the technical limit we can keep taking on debt before we have to do full blow monetization?

We should be lucky that rates are as low as they are with the size of our debt load. Besides curbing inflation, having the ability to lower the fed funds rate makes the Federal Reserve appear useful the next time a recession hits.

I guess the question is what is the technical limit we can keep taking on debt before we have to do full blow monetization?
    The Japanese are a few decades ahead of us in figuring that limit out.

Blog Entries

Depends on growth of efficiency and total growth of the economy. Think about taking on a debt at 5% that will grow your income by 10%. You would do that all day long. However, if interest is at 10% and you can't earn but 5%, your debt is too high, no matter the level. If the debt load is growing faster than gains in efficiency and output we have a problem. If you have no debt and have no growth, you are dead in the water. Debt, efficiency and output are intertwined and are contextual with each other.

The way I see it the real risk is that we eventually default on our debt due to political instability which will have massive fallout. As government debt continues to deteriorate in terms of credit rating & higher for longer rates while the rest of the world is diverging more cash will flow here while investors demand a higher interest rate of return to assume the risk. Long term post debt default we may not be the reserve currency in the world any longer. If you think inflation is bad now we could see hyper inflation should that occur and assets would be pennies on the dollar.

Hopefully none of this ever occurs but we have a couple of major problems as I see it. One is the government & the other is the Fed itself with the extreme polarization of monetary policy since 08 creating everything asset bubbles. We might kick the can down the road several more years but if we don't get the debt & rates under control who knows. If and when we hit the next rough patch it might be worse than what people think. The government is not in a position for massive bailouts this go around and we found out during Covid most people would be in a bad spot.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    The Japanese are a few decades ahead of us in figuring that limit out.
    Japan also have a huge home savings rate. A different 'problem' for their central bank. They have had a stagnant economy because their population is fixated on the future and saving money while the US population has no problem spending money, but is know realizing that a bunch of people are about to retire and didn't save anything.

25. Default Re: Wall Street Journal Ranks OKC the fifth-hottest US Job Market

Japan also have a huge home savings rate. A different 'problem' for their central bank. They have had a stagnant economy because their population is fixated on the future and saving money while the US population has no problem spending money, but is know realizing that a bunch of people are about to retire and didn't save anything.
    Japan has a stagnant and aging population which is much of why their economy is stagnant.

Thread Information