Widgets Magazine

Thread: Not bad Moore

Default Re: Not bad Moore

If you want to get a tornado to go through or near your house every few years, go for it.

You can say the same for all parts of central Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Yeah, one F5 is bad enough, then you have second one, yeeeeeaaaaahhhh. . . it is time to start exploring other options. Also, didn't they have an EF4 come through back in 2003 or something?

It does not matter where you live, you are going to have deal with nature's fury. I will take a Tornado any day over a Fire, Flood, Earthquake or Hurricane. In a Tornado only a select area is damaged. With the others you have to drive a great distance to escape the havoc or aftermath.

Moore is lucky to be a part of a metro area where each area has experience dealing with catastrophic events. After it happened they had more help then they ever needed. In just a few hours, most people were rescued, sheltered and fed. In other major disasters it took days if not weeks to achieve that.

7. Default Re: Not bad Moore

Quote Originally Posted by kwhey View Post
    If you want to get a tornado to go through or near your house every few years, go for it.
    My home was built in Moore in the 1960's and has never been hit by a tornado.

8. Default Re: Not bad Moore

Quote Originally Posted by kwhey View Post

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Don't jinx yourself ;P

Tornadoes are one of the scarier natural disasters to deal with. Others are more destructive but they aren't as frequent as the monster tornadoes are in central Oklahoma. Andrew hit Miami in 1992 but they haven't been hit since. I doubt we'll see another Katrina within the next few years. Another F5 tornado in the OKC metro area isn't all that unlikely however. The one natural disaster I fear more than tornadoes is wildfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Yeah, one F5 is bad enough, then you have second one, yeeeeeaaaaahhhh. . . it is time to start exploring other options. Also, didn't they have an EF4 come through back in 2003 or something?
    Yep. F5 in '99, F4 in '03, the EF4 in '10 that crossed over Stanley Draper lake, and the EF5 in '13. Pretty remarkable run. Of course the EF4 in 2010 didn't cause too much damage in the dense part of Moore and reached its peak strength further east, I believe... but to even have any contact with that many tornadoes (that would eventually become strong) in just 15 years is nuts, IMO. Not to mention numerous EF0-EF2s.

There's no scientific evidence (so far) that Moore is any more likely to get hit by a tornado, and as far as an I can gather, Norman has had any number of incredibly close calls. I can name a couple off the top of my head, and I'm still new to the area. Our luck will run out sooner or later.

12. Default Re: Not bad Moore

"Our luck will run out sooner or later."

That's no way to think.

Thread Information