Widgets Magazine

Thread: Question about housing developments.

Default Question about housing developments.

This may be a silly question. I like to drive around and watch progress on certain projects and developments. One I've been watching is the housing development getting built on SW 15th and County Line Road. There are single white pipes sticking up out of the ground all over the development. What is the purpose of those pipes? I know when they're building a house or building, there are a lot of pipes that stick up out of the slab, but these are just single pipes. I've noticed this at every housing development I've watched be built.

Default Re: Question about housing developments.

^

Probably sewer lines running from the nearby main.

3. Default Re: Question about housing developments.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Probably sewer lines running from the nearby main.
    That would be my guess also. Sewer feed lines. When they build the house they'll dig down as far as necessary and tie onto the sewer feed line.

4. Default Re: Question about housing developments.

I don't work with the sewer lines but when I get an as-built survey for grading purposes these are usually labeled as cleanouts. It's definitely sanitary sewer and I don't know why they stub them out so high.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    I don't work with the sewer lines but when I get an as-built survey for grading purposes these are usually labeled as cleanouts. It's definitely sanitary sewer and I don't know why they stub them out so high.
    Yes, they are the sanitary sewer connections, they stub them out of the ground enough the home builder knows exactly were their connection is to be. 2' out of the ground is what we call out on plans; you'd be surprised how often the 2' gets covered up with dirt during construction/waiting for a home to be built.

https://www.okc.gov/home/showpublish...08657030170000

Sheet 4 of the 6, detail S-26 shows the wye connection and then the 2' stub above grade also.

6. Default Re: Question about housing developments.

Quote Originally Posted by tvkokc View Post
    Yes, they are the sanitary sewer connections, they stub them out of the ground enough the home builder knows exactly were their connection is to be. 2' out of the ground is what we call out on plans; you'd be surprised how often the 2' gets covered up with dirt during construction/waiting for a home to be built.

https://www.okc.gov/home/showpublish...08657030170000

Sheet 4 of the 6, detail S-26 shows the wye connection and then the 2' stub above grade also.
    Right. Prints calling it a cleanout is not accurate. A cleanout is added by the plumbing contractor right outside or on rare occasion just inside the buildings footing. Along with a backflow preventer.

7. Default Re: Question about housing developments.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Right. Prints calling it a cleanout is not accurate.
    If you worked with surveys as often as I do. You would quickly learn that surveys aren't that accurate these days either.

Back in the day when they recorded it all in a little orange book. You could take that book and scale from it they were so accurate. These days with everything being done with GPS a lot of the surveys look like a drunk staggered around the property.... And from past history with a former local surveyor.... The drunk part was the most accurate part.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Right. Prints calling it a cleanout is not accurate. A cleanout is added by the plumbing contractor right outside or on rare occasion just inside the buildings footing. Along with a backflow preventer.
    Correct, on my commercial plan sets I will call out the C/O locations along with the BFP; then I call out the wye connections to the mains.

These are wyes on the main with the 2' of stub that yes is kinda a clean out but its not really used as a C/O; its just to locate the wye location. Then they run the line from the invert at the home's slab to the existing wye that was installed during the construction of the main when the developer is putting the in main utilities & roadway.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    If you worked with surveys as often as I do. You would quickly learn that surveys aren't that accurate these days either.

Back in the day when they recorded it all in a little orange book. You could take that book and scale from it they were so accurate. These days with everything being done with GPS a lot of the surveys look like a drunk staggered around the property.... And from past history with a former local surveyor.... The drunk part was the most accurate part.
    Ugh yes, the old field notes books were nice to reference. I still do get some surveyors that will provide those notes upon request. Ha GPS has certainly changed how it looks now but for me I prefer it now since I can go in Civil 3d and look at their actual shots and data.

Thread Information