Widgets Magazine

Thread: engine trouble

Default engine trouble

I have a car that needs the head gasket replaced. It's a domestic. Depending on the cost, I may just go ahead and replace the whole engine. Can anyone recommend a good mechanic to perform some engine work?

2. Default Re: engine trouble

Replacing the entire engine when it is just a gasket may be a big mistake. engine replacement could cost a couple of thousand bucks depending on the car. the gasket should cost two or three hundred.

If the block is cracked, then you have no choice than to replace the entire engine.

Question. Why are you considering engine replacement?

Default Re: engine trouble

I'm considering engine replacement because the estimate I got to replace the gasket was $1,000. Since it is a common engine (350) I figure I could get a rebuilt one relatively cheap. Working on the engine is more labor intensive since it is in a van (I mistakenly said it was a car in the previous post) . If it's only a few hundred dollars more then I'll just replace the whole engine.

I'm also thinking the $1000 estimate might have been his way of saying 'I don't want to mess with a van, find someone else to do the work'.

Keith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hornetfan View Post
    I'm considering engine replacement because the estimate I got to replace the gasket was $1,000. Since it is a common engine (350) I figure I could get a rebuilt one relatively cheap. Working on the engine is more labor intensive since it is in a van (I mistakenly said it was a car in the previous post) . If it's only a few hundred dollars more then I'll just replace the whole engine.

I'm also thinking the $1000 estimate might have been his way of saying 'I don't want to mess with a van, find someone else to do the work'.
    Hi hornetfan,

We actually have a member on our forum that is a mechanic. If you know how to use our Private Message system, then send him a private message. His name is "dirtrider73068." He is an active member of this forum, and I know he is a real nice guy because I have met him in person.

Good luck.

5. Default Re: engine trouble

WHOA 1,000k to a head gasket on a 350, wow words I can not say, that is a rip, 350 are the easiest motors to work on. Give me a shout back I will be more than happy to do it for you for the cost of labor, you buy parts is all you will need to do , most head gastkets cost about 20 bucks, it will be more since part of the motor has to be removed, but thats nothing, I did a head gasket on a old dodge I had, with half the tools I needed, didn't even torque the head bolts, and never had a issue, didn't have to remove the intake which saved me time and money. What makes it sure its the head gaskets? It could be intake leaking, or other small cheap problem. I can do the work, I just did a charity job for a lady that just bought a car for the intake gasket to leak to find out was the only problem. I just put a motor in my truck and put a rebuilt tranny in, save alot more money than if a shop did it. Reply back to this message, or PM me look in the upper right of the main page it says private messages, or give me a call at 414-2698 and talk to me about it and we can see about getting it fixed right and cheap and still have that same motor in it. Seriously give me a shout I can get you rolling way way cheaper than 1,000k.

6. Default Re: engine trouble

Not cheap to replace an engine, 1500 for a rebuilt through autozone, less than about 200 for a gasket set plus labor of me doing it. Way cheaper than a rebuilt motor, that guy didn't want to mess with it.

Awesome, thanks for the info dirtrider and everyone else. Dirt, I'll PM you and we can talk offline.

8. Default Re: engine trouble

For those that might want to know, I got hornetfan's van going, just did a tune up, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter, was all it needed and he said he made a difference adn ran better, starts easier to. If anybody else has a automotive question or needs work done, I can do, just PM me or post on here, I will be more than happy to help.

9. Default Re: engine trouble

That's nice of you dirtrider, probably saved him a fortune... good job!
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

10. Default Re: engine trouble

Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider73068 View Post
    For those that might want to know, I got hornetfan's van going, just did a tune up, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter, was all it needed and he said he made a difference adn ran better, starts easier to. If anybody else has a automotive question or needs work done, I can do, just PM me or post on here, I will be more than happy to help.
    You're a good man. An honest mechanic! When word gets out, the world will beat a path to your door. I'll keep you in mind for the future. It was a very nice thing you did to help another member of this board.

Thread Information