Widgets Magazine

Thread: Walmart Putting Self Checkout behind a paywall.

Large Chain Walmart Putting Self Checkout behind a paywall.

When i was at the Walmart Supercenter on Interstate Drive in Norman the other day, I Noticed that Self Checkout was behind a Walmart + Paywall. There were a few additional manned lanes open, but only a total of about id say 3 or 4. are there other stores putting their self checkouts behind a paywall? i would like to know thanks

Default Re: Walmart Putting Self Checkout behind a paywall.

Are you saying you have to be a Walmart + member to use a self checkout? I was at a Walmart Super Center last week and the self checkout was no different than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Are you saying you have to be a Walmart + member to use a self checkout? I was at a Walmart Super Center last week and the self checkout was no different than usual.
    They started having a percentage of self checkouts limited to Walmart+ several months ago across the country, but so far has been more like old school express lane, so only relevant if store is busy enough the self checkouts have a line.

If they are closing self checkouts to general public just at individual stores, it might be a management decision that they have had enough theft at that location, the cost save by self checkouts is not worth the shrinkage are seeing.

I've seen some designated for Spark drivers whatever that is. I used one one time when they were the only ones open and the Walmart associate said it was fine me using it. Perhaps this is what you saw.

https://www.reuters.com/fact-check/w...es-2024-03-28/

https://www.supermarketnews.com/fina...lders-yes-but-

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    as of 3 days ago, the self checkouts were behind a paywall at the one i went to. possibly expect nearby locations to do the same

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    as of 3 days ago, the self checkouts were behind a paywall at the one i went to. possibly expect nearby locations to do the same
    well if more start doing this, they better have registers open... if not, i'm not above just leaving my cart full of merchandise right up front and walking out...

7. Default Re: Walmart Putting Self Checkout behind a paywall.

You can just ignore it and use it without Walmart+. I've seen this in a few other cities and they reversed the decision and people were up in arms or just ignored it.

I would expect some Premium 'skip the lines' self checkouts for Walmart+ customers . Not all of them though. If Norman was in the middle of a conversion, they probably had the normal self checkouts in a weird spot. Some stores like Memorial and Penn, couldn't survive if the majority of the checkouts were "behind a paywall".

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    You can just ignore it and use it without Walmart+. I've seen this in a few other cities and they reversed the decision and people were up in arms or just ignored it.
    Sounds like they maybe starting to lock these down? Hopefully they have better signage. Moore supercenter is a complete mess with the register layout.

10. Default Re: Walmart Putting Self Checkout behind a paywall.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I would expect some Premium 'skip the lines' self checkouts for Walmart+ customers . Not all of them though. If Norman was in the middle of a conversion, they probably had the normal selfcheck outs in a weird spot. Some stores like Memorial and Penn, couldn't survive if the majority of the checkouts were "behind a paywall".
    The Scan and Go at Walmart is still pretty crappy. You still have to go to a register and scan a barcode, then bag then leave and a greeter will check your receipt. It is not nearly as smooth as Sams Club.

I'm guessing the scan and go causes a decent amount of shrink. I've heard that some walmarts are going back to even more checkers instead of self checkout as the shrink started to explode.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Sounds like they maybe starting to lock these down? Hopefully they have better signage. Moore supercenter is a complete mess with the register layout.
    I Know, Not to Mention, It looks like they Downgraded it from a Supercenter to a regular Walmart. (like you see in rural towns) also they built that giant drive thru side thing, it doesn't look like it is being used for its intended purpose.

The Scan and Go at Walmart is still pretty crappy. You still have to go to a register and scan a barcode, then bag then leave and a greeter will check your receipt. It is not nearly as smooth as Sams Club.

I'm guessing the scan and go causes a decent amount of shrink. I've heard that some walmarts are going back to even more checkers instead of self checkout as the shrink started to explode.
    Greeters checking receipts must vary by store. The ones nearest me quit looking at the receipts years before even the early style single lane self checkouts were installed, let alone the current large pod configuration with dozens.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Greeters checking receipts must vary by store. The ones nearest me quit looking at the receipts years before even the early style single lane self checkouts were installed, let alone the current large pod configuration with dozens.
    you also don't have to stop at walmart to let them check your receipt ... (it is not a members club like sams) ..

I maybe go into Wal Mart once or twice a year.

They used to be pretty pro-consumer in that they would squeeze the last penny of profit out of all of their suppliers and pass on savings.

That no longer seems to be the case and whichever retailer picks up that mantle is going to find a good price on a lot of abandoned Wal Marts and Sams Clubs.

Things are the same at the Perkins Rd. Walmart, Stillwater. Your receipt is seldom checked. At least two or three clerks watch you self check. The store still keeps a lot of clerked check-outs with most of them unmanned. The checkout situation is different at the W. 6th store. It's more self check out oriented with considerably fewer clerked registers, which may be unmanned. From being considerably newer, the store is nicer, but since it's not on my side of town, I don't go there much.

I almost exclusively go to self-checkout and try to avoid a regular check out. I'm usually in a hurry, and find the self checkout quicker when just grabbing a few items. I also usually have my airpods in when shopping for music or podcast, so I can just keep listening at self-checkout. I also like the queuing system at self check outs, so if there is someone who gets hung up with a bunch of items or doesn't understand how produce is weighed, you have a handful of other checkouts that are still moving towards completion.

My suggestion to improve the checkout system in stores that still want to use checkers, use a system like the discount clothing stores that direct customers to the next open register, that appears to be more efficient. The current system of queuing is all based upon luck...you avoid the person with a cart full of items, only to get stuck behind a person with a few items but uses coupons, has their payment denied, needs a price check etc.

From my perspective, there are a lot of people who like self-checkout, or have just gotten use to it since Covid. Walmart testing it behind a paywall may be an incentive to buy in to their bonus program as a matter of convenience for shoppers, while at the same time, having some control over loss prevention.

It would be interesting if Target followed, and made their self-checkouts for Red Card members only, I wonder if they would see a small spike in signups?

We use self checkout at WM exclusively. At Crest we use it unless we are over their 25 item limit which isn't often. I like that WM doesn't care about the number of items at self check out. Also at self checkout I can bag the items how I like. Many times at regular checkouts the conveyor belt will be wet and dirty too.

You can join Walmart+ for 40% off which is $59 for 12 months through the Burger King App. It renews at regular price after 12 months. When you link the accounts you get 25% off on in app orders at Burger King and it includes a free Paramount+ essential plan with the Walmart+.

Thread Information