Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2004 Metro population estimates from the US Census

Default 2004 Metro population estimates from the US Census

This is something I put together and posted in our Omaha forum..The latest US Census 2004 metro population estimates:

Here she goes (hot from the US Census)..

Metro poplulations 2004:

Omaha: 803,801 (an increase of nearly 11,000 from 2003! )

Metros of similar size as Omaha:

Tulsa: 881,815
    Albuquerque: 781,447
    Tucson: 907,059
    Grand Rapids, MI: 767,539
    Honolulu: 889,593
    Fresno: 866,772

Smaller metros of regional interest:

Little Rock: 636,636
    Wichita: 584,671
    Des Moines: 511,878
    Lincoln: 278,201
    Sioux Falls, SD: 203,324 (Sioux Falls cracks 200,000 )

Larger metros of regional interest:

Dallas-Ft Worth: 5,700,256
    Kansas City: 1,925,319..

One other metro of regional interest:

Oklahoma City: 1,144,327

And for the record..Omaha's CMSA (includes Dodge county):839,897..Round it up to 840,000 ..

Your thoughts..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace

2. Talking Re: 2004 Metro population estimates from the US Census

I think you posted the MSA for Oklahoma City.

The Oklahoma City-Shawnee CSA was listed as close to 1,250,000 in 2004. The MSA was 1,150, as you posted. Shawnee adds about 85,000 to OKC's MSA, Im not sure why they split Shawnee out of the MSA and made a CSA for OKC?

But nice numbers. It is gratifying to see proper numbers, esp for Tulsa (who often inflates theirs by 100,000 or so - to get close to OKC).

I didnt realize Omaha was that big. Do your numbers include Lincoln to Council Bluffs? (Im sure they have to, as doesnt NE only have around 2mil for the whole state?) Nice numbers for OMA tho! Very similar to Tulsa, not bad at all!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: 2004 Metro population estimates from the US Census

Combining Lincoln (a 45 minute drive from Omaha) togther into the Omaha MSA (which stands at 803,801 including Council Bluffs..The Omaha CMSA stands at 840,000) , the combined population would be 1,118,000..Since the Omaha and Lincoln metro areas already touch one another today, and because a large number of Linconites commute to Omaha on a daily basis for work, it is only a matter of time before the US Census adds Lincoln into the Omaha CMSA..

Omaha and Tulsa are about as close in population and demographics as 2 metros can get. As it relates to raw numbers, the 2 metros mirror each other in size, scope and importance..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace

OKC 2004 CMSA 1,211,438

Tulsa 2004 CMSA 930,842

OMA Luv Guest

That's quite a differance between Tusla's MSA and CSA. Omaha and Lincoln probably will be one CSA by 2010. By the time you get out of Omaha and see developments you are pulling into the edge of Lincoln.

6. Question Re: 2004 Metro population estimates from the US Census

Yes OMA Luv, it really does appear that OMA and Tul are very similar. Nice.

But

Im just wondering what is different from Tulsa's MSA from its CMSA?

Not to knock the city or anything, I just dont see how it adds up. Tulsa city is 385k? And there is no suburb there over 100k. In fact, there arent many suburbs there at all for that matter. Is it because there is alot of unincorporated? Or could Tulsa MSA and CMSA be counting entire counties instead of just contiguous urbanized area?

I see how OKC adds up, as OKC is 530k ish, and has at least one suburb over 100k - being Norman. OKC has lots of 50k ers, and Edmond is near 85k?, MWC 65k?, Moore 50? OKC has about what? 20 suburbs not including the inner city suburbs. It seems like OKC CMSA should be larger than 1.211m with all of those suburbs.

So, how does Tulsa go from 385k? city, to 811k metro (which is sort of believeable), to 930k CMSA? Where is the 120,000 people coming from? OKC only goes from 530ish k city to 1.15m metro to 1.25m CMSA - barely 100k diff between metro and CMSA but it is explainable - the new Shawnee MSA adds this. What adds for Tulsa? There are not that many cities in NE Oklahoma are there? OR are they calling the entire NE Oklahoma, including Muskogee as CMSA Tulsa? That is the only way I can figure it out.

OKC barely doubles in pop of its city to metro, Tulsa more than doubles. HOW?? Without suburbs? Isnt there Broken Arrow (90K?), Supulpa (20?), Jenks (20?), Owasso (20?), ... ?? Where are the people coming from, i dont see how it adds up? I mean, the state of OK has what 3.6m and we know OKC Cmsa has 1.25 of that, leaving 1.95m. take out Tulsa CMSA and there is only 1m for the rest of the state? Lawton is 100k, Enid is what 50k, ditto that for Ardmore + Mac, so that leave 800k for the rest of the state?

Doesnt seem like it adds up with all of the towns in Oklahoma outside of OKC and Tulsa Metros with Tulsa CM that big.

???

7. Default Re: 2004 Metro population estimates from the US Census

Is Omaha taking over this forum?

I thought this was an Oklahoma City forum.

8. Default Re: 2004 Metro population estimates from the US Census

Actually Edmond is more like 76,000. just FYI

'Or could Tulsa MSA and CMSA be counting entire counties instead of just contiguous urbanized area?'..

Tulsa, Omaha, OKC, Boston..ANY MSA and it's CMSA is counted as population of the counties included..Not just the urbanized area..FYI..

Also..

Sorry for 'taking over this forum'..Whatever..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace

Hi, I'm new to this board, but I think I can explain this. Tulsa CMSA includes Bartlesville as well as the Tulsa MSA. Sort of like how OKC CMSA is OKC and Shawnee.

11. Default Re: 2004 Metro population estimates from the US Census

Welcome adaniel, any input is appreciated, thanks!
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

I am glad to see that OKC area is over 1mil and in a few years Tulsa will be too.........

13. Default Re: 2004 Metro population estimates from the US Census

Actually, OKC has been over a million since 1996. Tulsa's population is about what OKC's was in 1980.

The OKC AREA Has been over 1 mil since 1996 not OKC........The Tulsa area adds up to around 930k whic will be over a mil in a few years without a doubt.....The states fastest growing cities are suburbs of Tulsa.

15. Question Re: 2004 Metro population estimates from the US Census

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel
    Hi, I'm new to this board, but I think I can explain this. Tulsa CMSA includes Bartlesville as well as the Tulsa MSA. Sort of like how OKC CMSA is OKC and Shawnee.
    I agree, but Bartlesville is not 120k and Tulsa's CMSA is about 120k more than its MSA. Bartlesville is less than 50k, WA county (Bartlesville's county) is 50K but that still doesnt explain it.

Shawnee and Pott county are both bigger than Bartlesville and WA county, yet Shawnee only gives OKC about 90K to add to the CMSA. How could Tulsa get such an increase unless they are including Muskogee/Musk county also?

16. Default Re: 2004 Metro population estimates from the US Census

Does this shed any light on anything? From the 2005 Economic Outlook:

The Tulsa metro area is expected to post another year of job losses totaling 0.6 percent in 2004, while the Oklahoma City area is expected to exceed job growth at the state and national levels by posting a 1.2 percent gain for all of 2004. Maybe the Tulsans came to OKC to look for work.

Go to the census site

The Tulsa metropolitan area is Tulsa, Rogers, Wagoner, Okmulgee, Pawnee, Creek and Osage counties

The Bartlesville micropolitan area (which is added to the Tulsa MSA to create a CMSA) is Washington county only

Muskogee is also a micropolitan area, but is not in the Tulsa CMSA, it's independant

All MSAs and CMSA except for Hawaii, Alaska and some northeastern states with odd city/county relationships measure MSA boundies exclusively by county line. The rules for inclusion in a MSA (metro or micro) or to combine multiple MSAs into a CMSA have to with how often residents cross the lines between counties for commerce and jobs and such. This is all defined from the more comprehensive survey that was given the only like 1 in 10 census respondents.

This is way to confusing...........
    Can we agree that both cities are growing and growing is good?

I agree! I'm glad that OKC is growing. It shows that all of the private and public investment in the economy over the past few years is paying off. And for a metro like Tulsa, one that got economically slammed over the past few years, is growing at all is a miracle unto itself. Cities that got caught up in the tech bust are still bleeding people badly (See San Jose, Boston Mass)

20. Default Re: 2004 Metro population estimates from the US Census

Oklahoma City in a "boom?" I think not. When we start getting a lot of jobs that can support a family in the style inwhich we grew to enjoy in the 60's, THEN we can call it a "boom." Not as long as most of the jobs are low wage jobs that still force people to live on assistance programs.

21. Default Re: 2004 Metro population estimates from the US Census

I'm happy that OKC and Tulsa are growing as well - I don't think we are in a boom but we have reason for optimism.

22. Default Re: 2004 Metro population estimates from the US Census

Yes, I did mean the OKC Metro was over a million by 1996 and the city is currently around 550,000. Tulsa suburbs may be the fastest growing in terms of percentage, but that is relative to the population base there. Anyway, in terms of REAL growth(number of people added), the OKC suburbs added more people. I believe the OKC area doubled the Tulsa area in real growth during the past four years. I'm not trying to dog Tulsa, I'm just stating the facts as they are.

Lets just admit that OKC area has abot 100-150k more people than tulsa.

swake Guest

The estimate is 280,596 or you can say Tulsa is only 77% the size of OKC.

Dude,
    Tulsa is bigger than 280,000 people......It is really 387,707.

Thread Information