Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The old Split-T Bar and Grill

Default The old Split-T Bar and Grill

Greetings All!

Am seeking just a small bit of info. Would anyone happen to know what year the Split-T Bar and Grill (that used to be on N. Western Ave.) was first established and open for business? Any and all help would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ken

Default Re: The old Split-T Bar and Grill

I know they were in business in 1962......But it was a northside hang out so I very seldom went over there.

I think it started after WWII.

I read somewhere that it opened in 1953.

I read that the place was named after the Split-T football formation which was first used in 1941 and the Sooners used during a 47 straight win streak in the 50's.

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    I read that the place was named after the Split-T football formation which was first used in 1941 and the Sooners used during a 47 straight win streak in the 50's.
    That's the info I got!

Default Split-T on Western

OMG, was just in Johnnies having a burger, and there was a picture of the Split-T. It had the dates of 1953 to 2000 on it. Has it really been 13 years since it closed? Does anybody know why it closed? Was it owned by Johnnies?

Default Re: Split-T on Western

I don't know why it was closed but my friends and I used to go there and kick it right around 2000 when there was a night club in it. I'm pretty sure the property was just bought out, cause it was dozed down and turned into newer development. If you drive down there, the Sonic is one of a kind because it's a Sonic with a flare of Split T (it's on their sign out front).

I worked in an office just north of Split-T during what I think was its final year in business, and the few times we went there it was a pale shadow of its former self. There was rarely a crowd, even at lunch time, and the burgers were only marginal. I think two guys were running the place at the time, and it looked really run down from the inside. Even the bar area which had been put in some years previous just looked like it wasn't being maintained.

When it was plowed down, the actual, original Split-T sign was preserved, and the Sonic that went up just south of the site now uses it. They have a special "Split-T" burger on their menu, and its pretty good -with that old Split-T hickory sauce...

The history of places like the Split-T, Hollie's, Bunny's, Dolores, is almost as tightly knit as is the history of Tex-Mex places in OKC. I can't say it started with the Stephens family, but they were one of the earliest when they opened Dolores at 33 NE 23 as one of the first drive-ins, and invented the term "car hop" while doing so. Their son Vince was one of the founders of the Split-T, and Johnnie's was started by a former head chef for them. Along the way Hollie's invented the bacon burger, and Bunny's is, I believe, a spin-off from there. Charcoal Oven was also, I've heard, a Stephens spin-off. And the young lady for whom Dolores was named lived until just a year or so ago...

I vividly remember Hollie's from when I was a kid, and loved that huge neon sign! I think I grew up in what was probably Hollie's last full, strong decade (or at least portion thereof) back in the 70's. Sadly, the name became tied with a rather nasty bar on S. Western for a time, but now apparently lives on as a steakhouse in Moore. Haven't been there yet...

There are some other lesser-known burger places that have come and gone through the years in OKC. A couple I remember very fondly are "Four Seasons," which was in a stripmall on NW 10th and I think either Council or Rockwell (I believe, not sure, but it was in that vicnity). They had a TREMENDOUS chili cheeseburger, and I recall during the summer my mom and I would meet my dad there for lunch once in a while (he worked in the area). The other place was a fairly popular local chain in its day called "Westoaks," which had really good steak sandwiches and had a hickory sauce burger that was really good. They were a drive-in, but later had sit-down service where you ordered off a menu through a telephone at the table. Sadly, the Westoaks restaurants just started closing down, and were finally gone one day. There were at least three locations I can think of, and they even advertised for a time on KTOK if memory serves.

Jim,
    I believe the lady that owns bunnies worked for Joe of Joe's Onion Fried Burgers on fiftieth and Meridian. She bought it from him during the time that Joe's was one of my weekly lunch stops. I continued eating there when it became Bunnies because in my opinion, the food was the same. I guess it's possible that Joe had worked at Hollies, I don't know.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    Along the way Hollie's invented the bacon burger, and Bunny's is, I believe, a spin-off from there. Charcoal Oven was also, I've heard, a Stephens spin-off.

Now that you mention it, I remember the Westoaks location at NW 10(or was it 23) and Rockwell, on the SE corner of the intersection, although I never ate there.

Across the Street was another good local chain, with the one I patronized being located on NW highway across from Baptist Hospital, next door to Hilander Bowling. The location later became a Crockett's, and is now a Panera Bread I believe although I don't keep track of that area any more...

Hollie's remains a vivid memory fpr me as the one and only place I ever tangled with ptomaine. While it's the sort of thing that can happen anywhere, it caused me to never go back -- but up until then I certainly enjoyed their bacon burgers!

Jim,
    I hate to admit it, but I remember Hollie's as one of the places that sold beer (via car hop) to teenagers. I had my first beer, a Falstaff at Hollie's. I did enjoy their burgers and fries, but the beer is what I remember most.
    C. T.

There was a Westoaks on 39th street, just west of Rockwell in Bethany, and one on 10th and Rockwell. My dad used to take us there to eat. It was pretty good food. I don't recall where a third Westoaks was. My dad also took us to the Split T to eat from time to time. When I got older, I used to catch live music at the T Bar occasionally.

WestOaks was on the SE corner of 10th and Rockwell (actually just a shade south) and there was another on 39th. As for that one, I can't remember exactly which cross street.

I was a semi-regular at the one on tenth as that was my neck of the woods.

Four Seasons? It doesn't ring a bell. There's no strip mall at Council so I'm saying it must be Rockwell.

Thanks for the memories!

Quote Originally Posted by OKC4me View Post
    OMG, was just in Johnnies having a burger, and there was a picture of the Split-T. It had the dates of 1953 to 2000 on it. Has it really been 13 years since it closed? Does anybody know why it closed? Was it owned by Johnnies?
    It was never owned by Johnnie's, but Johnnie worked there at one time if memory serves. The theta sauce at Split-T was always the best, IMO. Johnnie's, however, was a "nicer" place.

The T-bar was a minor hang in the early 90s.

The building was bought out so Sonic could put in another freaking location. They kept the sign like some kind of demented trophy. When they first opened, they had a "theta" burger on the menu, but it was just their lame hickory sauce, not theta sauce. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    It was never owned by Johnnie's, but Johnnie worked there at one time if memory serves. The theta sauce at Split-T was always the best, IMO. Johnnie's, however, was a "nicer" place.

The T-bar was a minor hang in the early 90s.

The building was bought out so Sonic could put in another freaking location. They kept the sign like some kind of demented trophy. When they first opened, they had a "theta" burger on the menu, but it was just their lame hickory sauce, not theta sauce. Sad.
    The T-Bar, I had forgot about that. I went there with a friend to see The Wake aka Wakeland. I wonder whatever happened to them?

Jim Kyle mentioning Hollies reminds me a a lady fisherman I met once. In talking she said her sister owned Hollies. I think she said her sister was the owner who sold the location to McDonalds for a good sum. Anyway ... this lady said she remebered well her sister doing all the cooking and her all the car hopping at times because just like today sometimes good help is hard to get. Too bad we are losing all those independents. The big box boys are all so cookie cutter in every way.

I used to have regular gigs out there on (I think) Monday nights. Played fiddle in a band. Their backstage accommodations were alright. At the time I was up there, I was trying out new fiddles and I think I played one gig with a 300 year old instrument. In retrospect, that was unwise.

Maybe this has already been mentioned, but when did the Split-T NOT serve beer and burgers? I moved here in about '74 and only ate at the Split-T a couple of times (and it was very good, btw) as I was living way out on the East side/MWC, but it seems like it was always a bit like a bar rather than just a good burger place.

Speaking of old, independent, burger places . . . Does anyone else remember a place called "Little's" over on 23rd at about Rockwell or MacArthur? I thought their food--"burgers"--was excellent . . .

Speaking of good burgers does anyone remember the small place across from McGuinness HS{west side of HS}i believe it was called Tommys? Served very small burgers something like 3 or 4 for a dollar. There was also McMahons on NW 36th around walker or so that had very good burgers and hand cut fries.

Wasn't Rusty Hilger (the OSU/NFL quarterback) the last owner of the Split-T? I know he had it for a while and I think when he closed the place, that was the end of the Split-T.
    C. T.

Just an FYI, but the Split-T Theta sauce is now available in stores, my son loves the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    Just an FYI, but the Split-T Theta sauce is now available in stores, my son loves the stuff.
    We buy it, and it's pretty damn close. I'm not sure if it's the real deal 100%, but we make thetas every once in a while and they're a big hit here with the store-bought Split-T sauce.

Thread Information