Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 23 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to expand Oklahoma Memorial Stadium?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Time to expand Oklahoma Memorial Stadium?

http://huskersgameday.com/2011/04/13...on-renderings/

NU is increasing capacity to 91K...yeah so we're no longer in the same conference but I'm wondering if we need another expansion project to keep up with the competition for recruiting & revenue purposes. I suspect Boren/Castiglione/Stoops are looking into it.

Default Re: Time to expand Oklahoma Memorial Stadium?

I say keep adding on until the wait list is 0! OU games are a huge economic pull to central Oklahoma! The more people that go to OU games the more people that will watch and support the team and Oklahoma in general.

I am very impressed with OU sports fans (not OU football fans) they really support all the sports. If you go to an OU softball or girls basketball game you will see just as many empty seats as you will an OU football game.

This coming from a cowboy!

It'll take another national title to get the donations rolling in, most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by earlywinegareth View Post
    http://huskersgameday.com/2011/04/13...on-renderings/

NU is increasing capacity to 91K...yeah so we're no longer in the same conference but I'm wondering if we need another expansion project to keep up with the competition for recruiting & revenue purposes. I suspect Boren/Castiglione/Stoops are looking into it.
    That poor cobbled-together abortion of a "stadium" is always trying to be better than it is...I am sure they will add whatever form of bleachers they can get at Ace Hardware and screw it on anywhere they can....to impress the Big 10 (12?)

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    That poor cobbled-together abortion of a "stadium" is always trying to be better than it is...I am sure they will add whatever form of bleachers they can get at Ace Hardware and screw it on anywhere they can....to impress the Big 10 (12?)
    Yeah that poor stadium has has an ongoing NCAA record of 311 consecutive sellouts, which began in 1962. They are planning by 2013 the seating will be 87,000+ and they currently have 'Nebraska's "HuskerVision" is one of the largest jumbo-screens in any college stadium in the country, measuring approximatively 118-feet wide by 34-feet high.'

So the Husker stadium isn't "trying" to be better, it already is.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhawg View Post
    Yeah that poor stadium has has an ongoing NCAA record of 311 consecutive sellouts, which began in 1962. They are planning by 2013 the seating will be 87,000+ and they currently have 'Nebraska's "HuskerVision" is one of the largest jumbo-screens in any college stadium in the country, measuring approximatively 118-feet wide by 34-feet high.'

So the Husker stadium isn't "trying" to be better, it already is.
    This post made me laugh. lol

For OU to build a major expansion a major donor or donors would need to step up to the plate.
    Based on some of the projects that are on OU’s wish list that haven’t received funding I’m not sure that OU has any willing donors with the amount of cash necessary to make such a major expansion happen anytime soon. OU has already let Bonds on other athletic projects that would probably need to be paid off before any serious consideration could be given to move ahead on any major stadium expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    There are several stadiums in the B10 that have an erecter set look. From that stand point UNL will fit in.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    There are several stadiums in the B10 that have an erecter set look. From that stand point UNL will fit in.
    LOL yeah like Michigan , Ohio St, Penn St, etc....

Or--like the ones in Baton Rouge or Knoxville--lotsa seats...but a big rinky-dink bleacher array...Owen Field is a big thing--with a building inside...whole different concept.

And--one needs to measure the actual footage of the seats in length...been to the Rose Bowl a number of times--and--those seats are so close together it is creepy to be there! Probably really seats about 60-70,000 if everyone had enough butt space to sit on!

it seems odd to me for tickets to roll out in any noticeable level at 20 and less. why is something so desired also so devalued? anyone?

Penn St is one such stadium that comes to mind. Iowa is another.
    The last i checked Northwestern’s is nothing special and neither is the Illinois stadium.

As long as you can buy a ticket outside the stadium to about 95% of home games for $20 or under there is probably not enough demand for a major expansion.

Maybe OU could expand the SW corner and add 2 or 3 thousand seats.
    This would provide year round covered parking for the coaching and support staffs.

Blog Entries

Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium needs to connect the upper deck seating to complete the horse-shoe in the north end of the stadium; they could easily add 18,000 seats and increase the seating capacity to 102,000.

Many of us who would like to purchase season tickets without making a major donation to the university would do so and support our Oklahoma Sooners.

Why are we waiting? It's not going to get any cheaper to increase the stadium to exceed 100,000--the time is now.

Not to many if any programs are as tradition ritch as Sooner Football,but LOTS of stadium are much larger,atleast 15 or so!

I remeber hearing Joe C stating that they want the capacity to remain at a level where the stadium stays full yet its not impossible or too expensive to get a ticket, which they seem to have balanced right now. I think it would be a mistake to add 15,000 seats. Just because there are other stadiums that are bigger doesnt mean they are superior stadiums or have better football programs.

17. Default Re: Time to expand Oklahoma Memorial Stadium?

I would think a new build LNC would take priority over expanding Memorial Stadium to 100k seats. Granted the OU basketball programs probably don't need much more additional seating, but it would allow additional concerts to be held there whenever the OKC Arena is booked. Who knows though. The Football program pays the bills for nearly all the athletics at OU, so it might not be a bad idea to push that through first.

I am sure the eventual design will continuee the east side upper deck design all the way around the north side and west side, including demolishing and redesigning an integral pressbox. The south side will always be open--as most stadiums are in the regions where it can be very warm in Sept./Oct. for wind to breeze into the place. Sunken stadiums--like the Cotton Bowl--dramatically show the horror of a hot gameday...'bout died there when I was dumb enough to get low seats for the OU-Texas game...a cardiologist's dream!

Joe C addressed the stadium expansion issue in a radio interview several months ago.
    The current plan would involve the removal of the existing south end zone decking. The supporting structure below would remain and be added to in height where needed. There would be 2 decks in the south end zone according to Joe.C.
    The decks would wrap around to fill both corners and would nearly connect with the existing stadium. While watch on TV it would be constructed in such a way that it would be very difficult to see where the old and new parts of the stadium meet.
    Joe C indicated that they would like a new press box but he made it sound like it was third on the list of priorities. The student housing was first then the south end zone expansion.
    Joe C. also said that if funding ever became available that they would like to replace the LNC and build a new arena just NW of the football stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    Joe C addressed the stadium expansion issue in a radio interview several months ago.
    The current plan would involve the removal of the existing south end zone decking. The supporting structure below would remain and be added to in height where needed. There would be 2 decks in the south end zone according to Joe.C.
    The decks would wrap around to fill both corners and would nearly connect with the existing stadium. While watch on TV it would be constructed in such a way that it would be very difficult to see where the old and new parts of the stadium meet.
    Joe C indicated that they would like a new press box but he made it sound like it was third on the list of priorities. The student housing was first then the south end zone expansion.
    Joe C. also said that if funding ever became available that they would like to replace the LNC and build a new arena just NW of the football stadium.
    I hope they don't go for Nebraska's style and make Kyle Field II...Football stadiums ought to be higher along the field--not on either end. Looks frumpy...IMHO

But--matters not to me--I'll be long dead when that all happens...even if they start soon....Ha!

... if funding ever became available that they would like to replace the LNC and build a new arena just NW of the football stadium.
    Didn't they have trouble filling it up this year? is it for more dining and retail similar to what the NBA is doing?

22. Default Re: Time to expand Oklahoma Memorial Stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Didn't they have trouble filling it up this year? is it for more dining and retail similar to what the NBA is doing?
    Probably going back to what I said. A new arena would help bring in additional concerts and such to Norman. LNC is used for other things instead of just the Basketball programs and would expect any new build (or expansion) would be more geared for that reason...not because of basketball attendance.

I thought one of the reasons always used for why they haven't expanded the stadium is that the south endzone's slope doesn't match that of the rest of the stadium, therefore it would be hard to make a true bowl. Thant being said, I have always found that to be a stupid argument, surely there is something that could be done. It's gonna happen, it is just a matter of when and wins (aka one or two more national championships).

Quote Originally Posted by swilki View Post
    I thought one of the reasons always used for why they haven't expanded the stadium is that the south endzone's slope doesn't match that of the rest of the stadium, therefore it would be hard to make a true bowl. Thant being said, I have always found that to be a stupid argument, surely there is something that could be done. It's gonna happen, it is just a matter of when and wins (aka one or two more national championships).
    Actually it's because it would cost too much to add a bunch of crap seats... they would never get the return out of them from the donor perspective... that's why we will be much more likely to see suites added... and if they can happen to put regular seats on top of them, then that's an added bonus... (see east side upper deck for proof)

As of a few months ago according to Joe C the next stadium expansion will be in the south end zone. Joe C said that the south end zone would have 2 decks and that suites will be included.

The cost to construct seats at near ground level in the south corners is far cheaper than the cost of constructing large upper decks. Since Joe C says that OU would build in the South end zone I’m VERY sure that OU has studied where they would make the best rate of return on their dollars.
    OU has twice sent me and others a questioner to gage how much demand there is for seats & suits.
    They also asked several other questions to gage interest on other items.

Thread Information