Widgets Magazine

Thread: Big 12 and SEC Champions To Meet In Postseason Bowl Game

Default Big 12 and SEC Champions To Meet In Postseason Bowl Game

Big 12 And SEC Champions To Meet In Postseason Bowl Game

Courtesy: Big12Sports.com
    Release: 05/18/2012

The Big 12 and Southeastern Conferences have announced a five-year agreement for their football champions to meet in a postseason bowl game following the 2014 season.

The champions of the two conferences will be in the matchup unless one or both are selected to play in the new four-team model to determine the national championship.
    Should that occur, another deserving team from the conference(s) would be selected for the game.

"A new January bowl tradition is born," said SEC Commissioner Mike Slive. "This new game will provide a great matchup between the two most successful conferences in the BCS era and will complement the exciting postseason atmosphere created by the new four-team model. Most importantly, it will provide our student-athletes, coaches and fans with an outstanding bowl experience."

"Our goal is to provide the fans across the country with a New Year's Day prime-time tradition," commented acting Big 12 Conference Commissioner Chuck Neinas. "This is a landmark agreement between two of the most successful football conferences during the BCS era to stage a postseason event. The creation of this game featuring the champions of the Big 12 and SEC will have tremendous resonance in college football."

"I am very excited by the prospects for a game between our champion and the champion of the Southeastern Conference," added incoming Big 12 Conference Commissioner Bob Bowlsby.

During the 14-year history of the Bowl Championship Series, the Big 12 and SEC lead the nation with 11 seasons in which each conference has had at least one team ranked in the top four of the final BCS standings. Both conferences share the top spot all-time with 14 teams each that have finished in the top four of the final BCS standings. The two conferences have combined for 16 appearances in the BCS National Championship Game, with the Big 12 ranking second behind the SEC's nine appearances with seven trips to the National Championship Game.

The two league champions have met twice in BCS bowl games since 1998, both in BCS National Championship Games. In 2010, Alabama defeated Texas, 37-21, in Pasadena, Calif., and in 2009, Florida defeated Oklahoma, 24-14, in Miami, Fla.

Specific details, including host site(s), will be announced at a later date.

Default Re: Big 12 and SEC Champions To Meet In Postseason Bowl Game

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Yes I knew that….. But this is such big news that it needs its own thread.

This is a little different topic than the other thread title.

It’s interesting that there are no details about a host site(s).

I hope it’s at Jerry World….
    It would be the easiest place for the most amount of fans to get to.

5. Default Re: Big 12 and SEC Champions To Meet In Postseason Bowl Game

maybe it will be back and forth between jerry world and the superdome

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    maybe it will be back and forth between jerry world and the superdome
    That would seem like the most likely possibility.
    But me have no like for NOLA.

So translated in english, are they saying the BCS will have a playoff system after the 2014 season?

This might be a bowl game the 2 conferences sponcer.

This would eliminate the middle men and give additional millions to conference members.

9. Default Re: Big 12 and SEC Champions To Meet In Postseason Bowl Game

Big 12 #1 vs. SEC #1 is pretty huge in my opinion. Pretty well cements where the Big 12-2-1-1+2 stands even after all the defections. Maybe Missouri will have a strange season and win the SEC so we can kick them in the teeth and remind them of what they left?

SB18 - They are already planning to do a 4-team playoff for the BCS title game...which is too small IMO.

This match up will never happen. In the history of the BCS a Big XII or SEC team has played in every game - sometimes against each other. The Big XII and SEC should just merge and add 6 teams (FSU, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Louisville, and Cincinnatti).

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    This match up will never happen. In the history of the BCS a Big XII or SEC team has played in every game - sometimes against each other. The Big XII and SEC should just merge and add 6 teams (FSU, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Louisville, and Cincinnatti).
    But wouldn't that simply mean, assuming:

SEC in a title playoff game = Big 12 $1 plays SEC #2 in this joint bowl?
    SEC and B12 in playoffs = BIg 12 #2 plays SEC #2 in this joint bowl?

Still happens though I can see those as less exciting matchups, or am I reading matters all wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    But wouldn't that simply mean, assuming:

SEC in a title playoff game = Big 12 $1 plays SEC #2 in this joint bowl?
    SEC and B12 in playoffs = BIg 12 #2 plays SEC #2 in this joint bowl?

Still happens though I can see those as less exciting matchups, or am I reading matters all wrong?
    That is correct but Big XII #1 will NEVER play SEC #1 in this bowl game (if history is any indication).

Thread Information