Widgets Magazine

Thread: JTs Tacos

Food Truck JTs Tacos

The newest food truck/restaurant in my neighborhood!

http://mood.newsok.com/jts-is-blazin...ad_story_title

Default Re: JTs Tacos

This looks great. Must give it a try.

3. Default Re: JTs Tacos

Best truck taco I've had. The wife and I do breakfast there once a week after leaving the downtown Y, next door. We've also done lunch or picked up food for dinner on our way home at least 4-5x now. Every time it has been excellent.

This place is great.

Just had this place for lunch along with half of our office. Absolutely wonderful. I would recommend the High on the Hog or anything with carnitas in it.

After having a bad experience with BTT earlier this year I thought I was going to have to give up on truck tacos for good, so I found this place just in time.

6. Default Re: JTs Tacos

I talked to Marc this morning and he said the night before they were slammed due to the article in the Oklahoman. Ran out of virtually everything. He was there until about 2am restocking.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I talked to Marc this morning and he said the night before they were slammed due to the article in the Oklahoman. Ran out of virtually everything. He was there until about 2am restocking.
    I was worried about this. With one guy in the trailer, I wasn't sure how they would keep up when Dave Cathey inevitably exposed my hidden gem. I've been getting there at 11. Might have to make it 10:45 from now on.

8. Default Re: JTs Tacos

I drove by today at noon on my way with a group of 6 to Beef & Buns Mr Catfish (my new favorite lunch spot) and they had a line about 7 deep. I hope it continues. He really wants to develop that into a food court triangle.

It won't last as a food court triangle for long if this project comes to fruition: http://www.ahmm.co.uk/projectDetails...ywood-Flatiron

I don't think this project is going to happen.

LONG LIVE FOOD TRUCK TRIANGLE!

Thursdays and Fridays Wild Als Food Truck will be on the Triangle!

What does Wild Al serve?

12. Default Re: JTs Tacos

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    What does Wild Al serve?
    http://www.wildals.webs.com/

Pretty limited menu. I've had the chicken salad sandwich and it was pretty good. A little too much bread for my taste/diet but still good.

The chicken salad sounds good. I usually like it either sans bread or on a croissant.

14. Default Re: JTs Tacos

I just saw JT's Tweet that they have closed the taco truck to pursue other ventures. Claimed they may be looking into opening a brick and mortar location next year.

Too bad, the wife and I enjoyed their food.

Wow! I never even got a chance to try JT's tacos. :-(

Disappointed but not surprised. They seemed very slow last time I went there a few days ago. Their tacos were wonderful though.

They would be a perfect fit in Deep Deuce or the Flatiron. I wish them well.

17. Default Re: JTs Tacos

Don't despair. I have some suspicions about where they might end up. There are good developers downtown looking for good restaurants. He'll probably end up close by...

18. Default Re: JTs Tacos

I'd actually prefer them in a brick and mortar location. We would have eaten there more, but the thought of eating a hot taco in 100 degree sun was not my top pick.

This wasn't a failure - it was successful marketing and branding for whatever project is coming next for these people. Hopefully it happens soon since I was getting lunch there about twice a week. With more resources, maybe they can start making their own tortillas again.

20. Default Re: JTs Tacos

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    This wasn't a failure - it was successful marketing and branding for whatever project is coming next for these people. Hopefully it happens soon since I was getting lunch there about twice a week. With more resources, maybe they can start making their own tortillas again.
    I agree/disagree: While they certainly proved they could make an exceptional taco (ate there many, many times), it wasn't generating the demand needed to sustain breakfast hours or evening hours - so not really a 'successful marketing and branding' endeavor when you consider the initial cost and time involved. I unfortunately think the problem may have been a combination of location, no mobility and the heat - also the fact the owner was already successful in his previous career choice - throw in a baby on the way and I don't think it was worth the time away from family to not be making a profit. Also just the OKC mentality of "I don't want to get in my car just to drive a few blocks to eat outside in the heat" - which I often heard when I suggested the place.

I do think a brick and mortar location with their existing quality will be a hit though.

I drove by there several times and would have loved to have stopped, but as mentioned, when it's 100+ outside and the wind is blowing like God has a giant blow dryer pointed in your face, the thought of eating outside was more than I could handle. I'm one of those folks that doesn't eat in the car, at all and by the time I would get it all the way home to Edmond, it would have been ice cold and probably soggy. Instead, I often just opted for driving over to Big Truck where I could at least sit down inside, and they make a pretty mean breakfast burrito.

Im disappointed they closed as I enjoyed their tacos. I managed to mostly avoid the heat by sticking to breakfast tacos in the morning. Always easy to park along 4th and walk right over, was surprised there were never more people there in the morning. I guess that while Big Truck made people realize there are better tacos out there than Taco Bell, most however still havent realized that breakfast tacos can be very good too. Hopefully they find a permanent location soon.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Im disappointed they closed as I enjoyed their tacos. I managed to mostly avoid the heat by sticking to breakfast tacos in the morning. Always easy to park along 4th and walk right over, was surprised there were never more people there in the morning. I guess that while Big Truck made people realize there are better tacos out there than Taco Bell, most however still havent realized that breakfast tacos can be very good too. Hopefully they find a permanent location soon.
    A breakfast taco or burrito is really my favorite kind of taco.

Quote Originally Posted by Debzkidz View Post
    A breakfast taco or burrito is really my favorite kind of taco.
    you need to try the breakfast brisket taco at Rudy's!!

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    you need to try the breakfast brisket taco at Rudy's!!
    I think I have, at a Rudy's in Texas. It's been a few years.

Thread Information