Widgets Magazine

Thread: PS3 Off Center on TV Screen

Default PS3 Off Center on TV Screen

I guess the Tech section went away with the new format so I am putting this under 'Entertainment". Feel free to move if there is a better place.

About a month ago our PS3 shifted the screen to the left a few inches. This caused everything on the left side of the screen to not be visable which is real problem for playing combat games on-line or trying to navigate the NetFlix menu. It seems a lot of people have been having this problem but Sony was not providing a solution.

After much trial and error I was able to fix it. You have to go into the Display setting on the PS3 and turn off 1080i compatability. Mine will now only work with 480P. After the last system update from Sony the 1080i is no longer supported. Not sure if was an error on their part or not, but now the screen is centered. I will now be able to see what place I am in on GT5.

If you were having this problem I hope this helps.

Default Re: PS3 Off Center on TV Screen

Maybe im misunderstanding this but if you have a PS3 whats the use if the TV has to scale down to 480p?

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Maybe im misunderstanding this but if you have a PS3 whats the use if the TV has to scale down to 480p?
    That is the crappy part. It probably has to do with the age of the TV. My TV is about 8 years old and instead of HDMI it has a DVI connection and is capable of 1080i. After I upgraded to HD DirectTV I found out the TV can't display 720p or 720i and if I use 1080i the picture didn't fit on the screen (for instance, I can't see the score ticker on ESPN). This means I have been using 480p for DirecTV. When we got the PS3 it worked fine with 1080i until about month ago when a software update adjusted the screen.

The bottom line is I have to buy a new TV. I don't want to buy one until the little lady of the house agrees to 3D tv and that won't happen until the prices come down just a little more. I already had to buy a new wireless router because the apps on DirecTV stopped working after a firmware upgrade. Such is the life of electronics.

I'm glad to see this. I just ordered a PS3 from K-Mart. They had a sale on the 160 gb with a $50 gift card for a total of $299. If it won't support at least 720, it's going back. That's crap. Is 1080i the top or is that 1080p? I have a DLP that is only goes to the lower of the 1080 levels.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8 View Post
    I'm glad to see this. I just ordered a PS3 from K-Mart. They had a sale on the 160 gb with a $50 gift card for a total of $299. If it won't support at least 720, it's going back. That's crap. Is 1080i the top or is that 1080p? I have a DLP that is only goes to the lower of the 1080 levels.
    The PS3 does support 720p. It's Kerry's TV that doesn't.

@Kerry, get yourself a a regular new LCD, you can get a very decent one very cheap. I wouldn't even bother with LED LCD, other than being thinner and energy savers, are not that much of an improvement on picture quality, and 3D is still in development, I would wait even if if I could afford 3D. You won't need to use those stupid 3D glasses down the road.

PS3 can support 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. Looks fantastic in 1080p.

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    PS3 can support 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. Looks fantastic in 1080p.
    And when Sony says the PS3 will do something, you know they will never take it away right.

8. Default Re: PS3 Off Center on TV Screen

We have never had a problem with ours...you'd have to ask Mid but I think we're on 1080? Everything looks fine to me.
    Still corrupting young minds

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8 View Post
    LCD1712 is correct - the PS3 will support 720p. However, I am not sure it will currently support 1080i correctly. It doesn't work for me and I have found several other people on-line with the same issue I have when using 1080i.

As for 3D - I don't mind using the glasses. It isn't like I will be wearing them for everything I watch, just some movies and PS3 games (GT5 in 3D is off the chart cool).

My TV is about 3 years old and I'm on my third PS3 but I've never had this problem

Have you made sure that it's the PS3 that is the problem and not your tv? A great way to find out is to go to a neighbor or friend who has properly functioning TV and test it there.

I've alwaysjust assumed it had a political leanings key sequence that Kerry triggered it. After that, his PS3 was more heavily focused to the right and ignored the left as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I've alwaysjust assumed it had a political leanings key sequence that Kerry triggered it. After that, his PS3 was more heavily focused to the right and ignored the left as much as possible.
    OMG! I was gonna say that but decided not to....LOL!

Nice one KP.

Pretty funny Kevin and Joe - but that was the first thing I checked.

Mooshie: Here is the thing - it used to work fine until the last OS upgrade. Pre-upgrade everything was fine, post upgrade it didn't work. The only thing that worked for me was to go down to 480p.

I finally got my PS3 and can tell that the screen isn't quite right when playing DC Legends. That may be the game itself though.

Thread Information