Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is there room for the NFL in Oklahoma?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Is there room for the NFL in Oklahoma?

An NFL team in Tulsa or Oklahoma City?

Mayor Mick Cornett wanted to put some type of stadium on the MAPS III short-list; however, it came in at number 10.

The success of the Oklahoma City Thunder has certainly turned heads and have eyes taking a second look at OKC.

Here is a report listing Oklahoma City as a potential future home for the NFL:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...pand-to/page/7

1. Los Angeles
    2. San Antonio
    3. A second team in Los Angeles?
    4. Toronto
    5. Oklahoma City

Is it possible that MAPS IV (2017 momentum) will include a stadium which could become the future home of an NFL team? Currently there are not enough dollars to support a second Fab Four franchise in OKC; however, who knows the 2020 future for an NFL franchise in one of the Sooner States top two cities (Oklahoma City, Tulsa).

1. What type of facility would we need?
    2. What are our projections for 2020?
    3. Could Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium be used as a temporary home?

We didn't expect the New Orleans Hornets to make Oklahoma City our temporary home--their temporary relocation brought out the best in Oklahoma.

Is Oklahoma City or Tulsa poised to take the next step?

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

Default Re: Is there room for the NFL in Oklahoma?

2020 or 2030,by then maybe!The way OKC is growing it might be possible by then.Tulsa's best bet is the NHL in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
    2020 or 2030,by then maybe!The way OKC is growing it might be possible by then.Tulsa's best bet is the NHL in the future.
    Agree with this. IF OKC continues and/or improves its upward trajectory towards improved quality of life and population growth toward the 2-2.3M range then maybe, but that's a ways off.

I don't think it's feasible by 2020. I think a city of OKC's size can support a pro team, but I don't think we should be anticipating the city to be able to support multiple teams as of yet. I don't think our population is really high enough to support it, and I don't think the money is there as a whole to support it.

On #3 they have used College stadiums as interim solutions, many college stadiums have larger capacities. They just generally do not have as nice of amenities, number of suits and related income generators. The Vikings may still be in a college stadium if the work from their roof being damaged by snow last month has not been finished.

No… not in my life time.
    I will actively oppose any effort to bring the NFL to the OKC area.

In a word: No.

Lots of folks who have seen the success of the NBA have made the errant extrapolation that an NFL franchise would be just as successful in this football-crazed state. Problem is that the financial underpinnings for an NFL franchise are close to $1 billion by the time you start thinking about a franchise and a stadium.

First, neither Oklahoma collegiate football venue could be used for an NFL franchise, primarily due to the fact that beer and alcohol sales are illegal in either venue (Norman or Stillwater). It'd take an act of the Legislature to change it. Beyond that, I suspect the close proximity to I-35 would make Owen Field the more favorable choice, but I'm not at all sure OU would be willing to take on the wear and tear of eight home games on top of the five or six hosted annually right now - to say nothing of the logistics involved in flipping the stadium from a Saturday game to a Sunday game on a nearly-overnight basis.

Believe me, I'm a football-first guy, and I think there was a chance to do it about 20 years ago, but we let it slip by. Not going to happen here for many, many moons, if ever. Heard an old story that back in the late 80's, when the Dallas Cowboys were really, really bad, that the Gaylords were engineering a plan to move them from Irving to a new stadium to be built west of I-35 in Norman, but that obviously didn't happen...

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I
    First, neither Oklahoma collegiate football venue could be used for an NFL franchise, primarily due to the fact that beer and alcohol sales are illegal in either venue (Norman or Stillwater). It'd take an act of the Legislature to change it.
    To quote Gundy "thats not true" in 2003 OU actually sold alcohol on club level. It would merely take act of Board of Regents if even that. Also, the legislature would likely bend over for the NFL in the same way they did w/ quality job incentives for NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by NickFiggins View Post
    To quote Gundy "thats not true" in 2003 OU actually sold alcohol on club level. It would merely take act of Board of Regents if even that. Also, the legislature would likely bend over for the NFL in the same way they did w/ quality job incentives for NBA.
    Nope. There was a huge stink when OU announced it would not sell alcohol in the suites because of state law. Alcohol can be served by private entities supplying their own stock. Several folks who had contributed supposedly threatened to sue, claiming OU had represented that alcohol would be available. Bottom line, no alcohol sales.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Nope. There was a huge stink when OU announced it would not sell alcohol in the suites because of state law. Alcohol can be served by private entities supplying their own stock. Several folks who had contributed supposedly threatened to sue, claiming OU had represented that alcohol would be available. Bottom line, no alcohol sales.
    Dont think it has anything to do with state law, OSU sells alcohol in the club level of Boone Pickens Stadium. Not much to do with this story but incoming big 12 school West Virginia sells alcohol throughout the entire stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Dont think it has anything to do with state law, OSU sells alcohol in the club level of Boone Pickens Stadium. Not much to do with this story but incoming big 12 school West Virginia sells alcohol throughout the entire stadium.
    Its been a state law issue for as long as I can remember. In fact, OU reportedly turned down a multi-million-dollar advertising/sponsorship agreement with a major beer outfit several years ago for precisely the same reason....

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    I think they only sell 3.2 beer. The following is copied and pasted from OSU's website:

Alcoholic Beverages – Suite Level

Alcoholic beverages are not permitted to move in between Suite & Club Levels – either direction.
    Alcoholic beverages within the stadium, fall under either 3.2% & below OR above 3.2% by volume. Low-point beer represents 3.2% & below / High-point beer, wine, spirits, liquors, and other similar products represent above 3.2%.
    Low-point beer (3.2% & below alcohol) is not included in any Base Package - additional charges apply under certain restrictions. OSU Cowboy Dining retains all permits & licenses required for exclusive rights to provide all 3.2% & below alcoholic product. Orders for such product must be submitted by the Tuesday before each game day, and will be stocked into your suite after payment approval.
    In the case of requiring additional 3.2% product during an event, ordering & processing must occur via your suite attendant. However, Cowboy Dining does not maintain a large inventory of 3.2% product so there can be no guarantee that your additional order can be fulfilled.
    Please note - there are 2 policies regarding the service & billing of 3.2% product that are unique to this product only. Inventory transport restrictions, return policies, and expiration dates must all be considered when establishing stock within each suite. Cowboy Dining will provide inventory levels after the 5th – 8th home game of the season, or at any time upon request. No refunds will be awarded for 3.2% & below alcoholic product, regardless of situation.

Once ordered & processed, 3.2% product has been paid for (“owned”) by the Suiteholder; however, Cowboy Dining retains storage & inventory responsibility. No 3.2% product that has been purchased through Cowboy Dining may be removed from BPS at any time.
    3.2% product that is “ordered” on a game day will be immediately charged directly to the suite holder’s information on file. Transfer of funds – cash, check, credit, or other – will not be allowed on gameday. If an alternate payment option is required, details must be arranged the week prior.
    Alcoholic product above 3.2% by volume – high point beer, wine, spirits, etc - remains the sole responsibilityof the suite holder through the purchase, stocking, serving, and inventory process. Oklahoma State University, OSU Cowboy Dining, and all related support organizations cannot - by law – become involved in any capacity for this type of alcoholic product.

Alcohol service guidelines will be determined on an event-by-event basis by Oklahoma State University. All laws pertaining to the service of alcoholic beverages will be enforced, including regulations concerning the consumption of alcohol by minors or intoxicated persons. OSU Cowboy Dining and Oklahoma State University reserve the right to check for proper identification and to refuse or terminate service at any time. All alcoholic beverages are to remain in your suite, and are not welcome on the public concourse.

There was a long discussion about the same thing a few months ago.

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=26882&page=1

14. Default Re: Is there room for the NFL in Oklahoma?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    There was a long discussion about the same thing a few months ago.

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=26882&page=1
    It seems we have this thread every 3 or 4 months here. Search feature is amazing. Of course the OP even actively participated in it as well. So I don't see why we are rehashing things.

This was discussed and there was an excellent study showing that a city needs about 1 million people per pro team to support them adequately (which is why cities like Denver and KC were overstretched). 1 team is perfect for OKC. An MLS team in Tulsa would possbily work since Tulsa has almost 1 million people and no significant (not counting WNBA) pro team that is a far better bet.

Is alcohol allowed to be sold in the Texas college stadiums? I would automatically assume, though, it's not allowed in Baylor's stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Is alcohol allowed to be sold in the Texas college stadiums? I would automatically assume, though, it's not allowed in Baylor's stadium.
    Seems a few years back, CO. was the only facility that had beer sales in the Big 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    An NFL team in Tulsa or Oklahoma City?

Mayor Mick Cornett wanted to put some type of stadium on the MAPS III short-list; however, it came in at number 10.

The success of the Oklahoma City Thunder has certainly turned heads and have eyes taking a second look at OKC.

Here is a report listing Oklahoma City as a potential future home for the NFL:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...pand-to/page/7

1. Los Angeles
    2. San Antonio
    3. A second team in Los Angeles?
    4. Toronto
    5. Oklahoma City

Is it possible that MAPS IV (2017 momentum) will include a stadium which could become the future home of an NFL team? Currently there are not enough dollars to support a second Fab Four franchise in OKC; however, who knows the 2020 future for an NFL franchise in one of the Sooner States top two cities (Oklahoma City, Tulsa).

1. What type of facility would we need?
    2. What are our projections for 2020?
    3. Could Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium be used as a temporary home?

We didn't expect the New Orleans Hornets to make Oklahoma City our temporary home--their temporary relocation brought out the best in Oklahoma.

Is Oklahoma City or Tulsa poised to take the next step?

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?
    Concerning # 3. Do you really think an NFL team would play in a facility that old that does not allow beer sales? Additionally when the Outlaws(USFL) tried to lease the stadium for summer play it was shot down. Ya really think the regents would go for the stadium being used non-stop in the fall?

Default Team name for NFL in OKC if it happened?

We noticed lots of talk about bringing NFL to OKC. Curious on what the name would be or where would you put the stadium?

As far as NFL teams coming to OKC, I do think its possible within the next 10 years. By 2020, the Oklahoma City MSA would be around 1.4 million, and OKC population would be around 700,000, that's a large enough population base to support an NFL. Moreover, the population base gets larger if you include metro areas within 2 hours driving distance with fans that will attend games from Wichita and Tulsa metro areas. Also, you could get a decent fan base from rural cities in Oklahoma. As far as stadium, it would roughly take about 2-3 years to construct decent sized stadium. The City could easily conduct funds through public/private investment to build a stadium. They could start constructing it in 2018 and could be operational by 2021. If we didn't have the AHL called the OKC Barons, I would name the NFL team the Oklahoma City Barons, but since that name is taken, I would go with the Oklahoma City Buffaloes/Bison

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    As far as NFL teams coming to OKC, I do think its possible within the next 10 years. By 2020, the Oklahoma City MSA would be around 1.4 million, and OKC population would be around 700,000, that's a large enough population base to support an NFL. Moreover, the population base gets larger if you include metro areas within 2 hours driving distance with fans that will attend games from Wichita and Tulsa metro areas. Also, you could get a decent fan base from rural cities in Oklahoma. As far as stadium, it would roughly take about 2-3 years to construct decent sized stadium. The City could easily conduct funds through public/private investment to build a stadium. They could start constructing it in 2018 and could be operational by 2021. If we didn't have the AHL called the OKC Barons, I would name the NFL team the Oklahoma City Barons, but since that name is taken, I would go with the Oklahoma City Buffaloes/Bison
    Are there any metro areas that small (1.4 million'ish) that have both an NBA team and an NFL team?

What is the smallest market to have both?

Edit: I think I have answered my own questions:

No.

The smallest market I can find with teams in both the NBA and NFL are Indianapolis and Charlotte, which each have metro populations of about 1.75 million.

Oops. I overlooked New Orleans. But as mentioned below the NBA team is in a world of hurt.

And according to the study that has been referenced before of economic ability to support teams, Charlotte ranks No. 19 among 20 markets that lack the financial ability to adequately support their big-league franchises and Indianapolis ranks no. 15 of the 20 overextended markets. New Orleans is the 10th most overextended city.

New Orleans has NBA and NFL teams. The NBA team is struggling and will probably be moved when the league sells it.

Quote Originally Posted by RodH View Post
    New Orleans has NBA and NFL teams. The NBA team is struggling and will probably be moved when the league sells it.
    +1

And if you want to go by CSA, by 2020 that puts OKC in the 1.5 range...

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    And if you want to go by CSA, by 2020 that puts OKC in the 1.5 range...
    And Charlotte's CSA is currently 2.4 million. Indianapolis's (the other small, overexteded market) current CSA population is 2.1 million.

Thread Information