Widgets Magazine

Thread: Places that charge service fees (list)

Default Places that charge service fees (list)

Decided to start this so people would know which restaurants/bars charge service fees/charges, because I don't like to be surprised and hit with one out of the blue, and I know a lot of people (me included) don't like the concept of it. There shouldn't be a discussion about whether or not they're appropriate in this thread, that can be done in another thread, this one can be just a list.

S&B (59th St. location) - 2% fee for credit card transactions
    Birrieria Diaz - 5% I think, for cc transactions

Default Re: Places that charge service fees (list)

Did you go to both these places in one day and just rage lol? I don't blame you I hate that **** too; however it is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    Did you go to both these places in one day and just rage lol? I don't blame you I hate that **** too; however it is funny.
    No, Birrieria Diaz was a few weeks ago and the last time we were there (months ago, if not a year), they didn't have a fee. S&B was this weekend and was the proverbial straw...

So the list currently stands at Birrieria Diaz and S&B, but needs to be expanded to all of Happy Plate - original S&B on 59th, Sunnyside Diners, Taqueria El Camino, Classen Grill, Grill On The Hill.

Apparently Happy Plate got the idea from another local restaurant group, anybody know which one?

Not a service fee but The Ranch charged me $4 to split a side chop salad between my wife & 5 year old daughter on Saturday night. It wasn't particularly large either. Never have had a split charge on a salad before which we often times do between my wife & I. Along with a couple other things about the meal (this was just the icing on a bad cake) my last 2 experiences have now been way under par there. Mahogany has mostly taken over as our regular steakhouse but now it's solidified esp given the Ranch is a good bit higher priced.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    Not a service fee but The Ranch charged me $4 to split a side chop salad between my wife & 5 year old daughter on Saturday night. It wasn't particularly large either. Never have had a split charge on a salad before which we often times do between my wife & I. Along with a couple other things about the meal (this was just the icing on a bad cake) my last 2 experiences have now been way under par there. Mahogany has mostly taken over as our regular steakhouse but now it's solidified esp given the Ranch is a good bit higher priced.
    that is truly bizarre ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    that is truly bizarre ..
    I wish that was the most bizarre part. Both of our steaks were undercooked- mine was practically raw. He sliced up my wifes filet for her on her plate first since it was of course a hot plate throwing on a little extra butter to help it cook. No big deal there but mine was so undercooked & had virtually no crust on it at all but instead of taking it back to kitchen he orders a searing hot plate then comes back and proceeds to cut my NY strip into 6-7 strips, throws some butter on the searing hot plate and then cooks it up on a tray next to me. I could go on but meal was basically done at that point. Fortunately I was in a very good mood that evening so I didn't make an ordeal about it.

I wish that was the most bizarre part. Both of our steaks were undercooked- mine was practically raw. He sliced up my wifes filet for her on her plate first since it was of course a hot plate throwing on a little extra butter to help it cook. No big deal there but mine was so undercooked & had virtually no crust on it at all but instead of taking it back to kitchen he orders a searing hot plate then comes back and proceeds to cut my NY strip into 6-7 strips, throws some butter on the searing hot plate and then cooks it up on a tray next to me. I could go on but meal was basically done at that point. Fortunately I was in a very good mood that evening so I didn't make an ordeal about it.
    This is absolutely weird, that cannot be their standard procedure to bump steaks.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    This is absolutely weird, that cannot be their standard procedure to bump steaks.
    Server had waited on us before, I recognized him and made a comment. He seemed a little off put upon greeting probably because we had our daughter & no alcohol. I asked him about specials which he told me they didn't have any other than a couple always steak options but then I heard all the tables around us get delivered. I get it, I was in the business a long time, but he totally misread our table. Think we still dropped $240. Told my wife no mas Ranch unless it's on someone else's tab.

Same with us. Service and especially food quality has gone downhill since Norman location opened. We usually let the kids (early 20's) choose and they all choose Mahogany. The $4 split on a salad is a new one for us as we had never been charged to split a salad between my wife and I.

So I'm not crazy and the Ranch has declined. Last time I went was back in December right before Christmas, to the one in Norman. It seemed like they were short staff and on top of that the server was a younger and seemed still fresh. Food was fine, but service was not good. Luckily we were catching up with friends from out of town so the fact that it took awhile didn't matter as much, but I did catch myself on more than one occasion apologizing that the service was usually much better.

My wife and I have always like Mahogany a little better, but recently tried Bob's in the Omni because we were given a gift card. We were both really surprised at how much we liked it, and have now put that into our rotation instead of the Ranch.

Not to dogpile on the Ranch but I literally had this discussion with some work colleagues just last week. Typical conversation of "what's your favorite steak in town" which quickly devolved into crapping on the Ranch for it's atmosphere and the declining service.

I wonder if the Ranch really got worse or if there are simply more highly competent steak houses to choose from, giving the appearance that the Ranch is dated and no longer a top option. It used to be my favorite filet in town. Now it's not in our personal top 3.

13. Default Re: Places that charge service fees (list)

I have a big gift card to The Ranch but now I really want to go in and ask if they charge to split a salad. That is the most insane thing I've ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I have a big gift card to The Ranch but now I really want to go in and ask if they charge to split a salad. That is the most insane thing I've ever heard.
    Split plate charges have actually been around a long time. They may be more common now but l've occasionally seen notices of them on menu's for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Split plate charges have actually been around a long time. They may be more common now but l've occasionally seen notices of them on menu's for many years.
    I always noticed them at Mexican places, of course trying to capture some dollars for those who eat the free chips and dips and tortillas around splitting a meal.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Indeed but they're a challenge on the restaurants side because it's not received very well even if "extra" is given. In my case this was literally a small $14 first out salad and they should not have split it for my daughter and charged $4.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    I always noticed them at Mexican places, of course trying to capture some dollars for those who eat the free chips and dips and tortillas around splitting a meal.
    Understandable in that situation. I usually see it as a "set-up" charge if entree not ordered,

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Understandable in that situation. I usually see it as a "set-up" charge if entree not ordered,
    That is supposed to be additional accompaniments in my experience. For Mexican restaurants if you split a fajita they will often charge a setup fee that includes more shredded cheese, sour cream, guac, pico, and tortillas. At higher end fine dining restaurants I expect for the total protein to remain the same but the sides and garnishes to be beefed up for presentations sake. With the notorious Ranch split salad I imagine they are again adding a bit more of the components to make the split portion not look emaciated. If all they are doing is bringing an extra plate that is not acceptable.

Thread Information