Widgets Magazine

Thread: How about RESTAURANTS THAT ARE NOT MISSED??

Default How about RESTAURANTS THAT ARE NOT MISSED??

To which I would first submit: Sonic

Why; remember the old Southwestern Bell Telephone commercial? "We may be the only phone company in town but we try not to act like it?" Well Sonic, when a local company WAS great. But since Inspire! Brands took over, Sonic seems to feel that ARE the only drive-in restaurant AND THEY ACT LIKE IT. I recent.y had a #2 Hamburger. . . easy fix, right?

Wrong. I realized I could only taste the mustard and lettuce. The meat had NO TASTE. NO hint of beef or grilling. . no hint of charcoal. The burger then became inedible. Their fries never make it three blocks home and hot. Always cold by the time I made it home.

This after constant errors with orders at two different restaurants.

Another company that has management and cooks that could care less about what they send out the door, the manager never even bothered to call me back.

NEVER AGAIN

Default Re: How about RESTAURANTS THAT ARE NOT MISSED??

Quote Originally Posted by whorton View Post

Wrong. I realized I could only taste the mustard and lettuce. The meat had NO TASTE. NO hint of beef or grilling. . no hint of charcoal.

NEVER AGAIN
    I've been eating at Sonic for over 60 years and never remember a charcoal taste.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    I've been eating at Sonic for over 60 years and never remember a charcoal taste.
    I worked at Sonic back around 1982 and we cooked the burgers on a flat top

Blog Entries

Is this just another thread to bash Sonic?

I know people who run lots of Sonics and their financials have looked great for lots of years. Guess the public hasn't gotten the message as to how bad they are.

Sonic pretty much knows who their customer target is and works to meet it. They are a fast food business, not a gourmet burger joint.

Steak N Shake. Red Lobster.

Who goes to a drive-in restaurant and b*****s about the fries being cold after a drive home? Where does this not happen?

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Steak N Shake. Red Lobster.
    Steak N Shake. I think I went twice when it was on 3rd st off Macarthur. It was so confusing just to order. They had a counter like most fast food but when you went to order they told you to sit down and a waitress came to your table to take your order but they you went to the counter to pick it up I think. It was a long time ago so I might not be remembering it exactly but I remember it just being a confusing mess.

Quote Originally Posted by whorton View Post

Why; remember the old Southwestern Bell Telephone commercial? "We may be the only phone company in town but we try not to act like it?" Well Sonic, when a local company WAS great. But since Inspire! Brands took over, Sonic seems to feel that ARE the only drive-in restaurant AND THEY ACT LIKE IT. I recent.y had a #2 Hamburger. . . easy fix, right?

Wrong. I realized I could only taste the mustard and lettuce. The meat had NO TASTE. NO hint of beef or grilling. . no hint of charcoal. The burger then became inedible. Their fries never make it three blocks home and hot. Always cold by the time I made it home.

This after constant errors with orders at two different restaurants.

Another company that has management and cooks that could care less about what they send out the door, the manager never even bothered to call me back.

NEVER AGAIN
    Sonic hasn't had numbered burgers for many years. They made very good burgers for decades but totally **** the bed, even when they were still locally owned.

On a whim, I decided to give them a chance today, after not having eaten there for years. The first thing I noticed was that the cheeseburger comes with ketchup and mayo. Really? That works on a charcoaled burger but Sonic's burgers have never been charcoaled or even flamed flavored. 100% steel flat-top burgers, at least since the 70's. I ordered a cheeseburger with mustard and it was pretty clear she had no idea what I was talking about, so I specified NO KETCHUP, NO MAYO, YES MUSTARD. Several times and she finally figured it out.

The burger wasn't bad, though. No where near Whataburger quality but much better than the most recent burgers I had there. Those were pretty much inedible and I ate this one without too much complaint.

Personally, I agree with the OP in that I wouldn't miss them if they were not around. Same for Braums. I think much of that is because they both used to be so good, but have devolved to serving crappy burgers.

I see nothing wrong with mayo and ketchup on a Sonic burger. Mustard is for hot dogs and corn dogs.

10. Default Re: How about RESTAURANTS THAT ARE NOT MISSED??

Sonic's food is very meh. But their drinks, when done correctly, are unbeatable.

I gave up on Sonic several years ago even though there's one within a five minute walk from my door. The quality is not what it was back in the early 80's.

I have to retract my statement about not missing Braums. I had burgers on the brain at that time, but I would greatly miss Braums for their breakfast. They have the best fast-food breakfast burrito out there.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    I see nothing wrong with mayo and ketchup on a Sonic burger. Mustard is for hot dogs and corn dogs.
    Facts.

Thread Information