Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Central Park for Moore

Default New Central Park for Moore

Default Re: New Central Park for Moore

Looks like 50% parking.

you just looking at one picture the park will extend all the way from 4th street to 19th street, one mile in length

interesting... seems awfully close to the rail lines, though. -M

I think there is even plans for amtrak to stop at the park as well, they are putting a depot at the park City of Moore - Proposed Central Moore Park - YouTube

the park setting it going to be further south just past the farmers market pavilions there has to be parking people lol, plus i think all that stuff is a lot better then what other cities have been planning. Moore is getting a couple NEW parks added to its city.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    you just looking at one picture the park will extend all the way from 4th street to 19th street, one mile in length
    Well, almost to 19th st. Living in Moore I've been wondering what was to become of all that farm land that stretched on that side of the tracks. As soon as I heard about the new park I knew that was the only central location in Moore where it could happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    interesting... seems awfully close to the rail lines, though. -M
    The land runs right up to and along the tracks so yes, you're correct.

The artist rendering does look like it has a lot of parking but knowing how parking sucks at most of the other parks I'm ok with there being 'extra'. Per the ammenities listed there will be a lot included at this one location. I'm excited to see how it all actually pans out of course. With this plan going forward ten years surely things will change, perhaps a lot, by the time everything is done.

Its going to be just south of downtown. First its new community center, new city swimming pool, plus small city waterpark, amplitheater, new farmers market and city event entertainment area 2 mile walking trail, large pond, lol what more should a small city like ours need. SOME people I guess will never be happy or some people get jealous of moore progressing.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Well, no actually. Not usually. Parks are neighborhood assets. They should be accessible to their neighborhood. You don't drive to parks. Well wait, you drive to amusement parks. But not municipal parks and certainly none that use the phrasing "central park".

Words mean less today. You can build a parking lot with trees and call it a central park. Just like you can build a Wal-Mart shopping complex and call it a Town Center.

I have never been to a central park with a massive parking lot like that. It is a beautiful parking lot though. I'll give them that.
    Nailed it.

Over the next five years, not ten...not sure why I was thinking 10 years.

It looks like a nice suburban plan for land that otherwise wasn't going to see much use right away. It's a shame that the link only shows the parking lot.

12. Default Re: New Central Park for Moore

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Well, no actually. Not usually. Parks are neighborhood assets. They should be accessible to their neighborhood. You don't drive to parks. Well wait, you drive to amusement parks. But not municipal parks and certainly none that use the phrasing "central park".

Words mean less today. You can build a parking lot with trees and call it a central park. Just like you can build a Wal-Mart shopping complex and call it a Town Center.

I have never been to a central park with a massive parking lot like that. It is a beautiful parking lot though. I'll give them that.
    I "don't" drive to parks? So when I drive to Earlywine Park to use the jogging trail or to South Lakes Park to take advantage of the "Close to Home" fishing program. What did I drive to? I suppose one could say I am driving to South Lakes to be amused but my drive to Earlywine is not for recreational purposes.

I think you are correct in that words mean less today. Perhaps I "should not" drive to a park but I do.

And why is it called a park in the first place if none of us are driving there? Shouldn't it be called a walk?

As a new member of the Moore community I'm happy to see this land being developed as a, well whatever it's going to be called, and I hope it has a nice walking/jogging trail. So I don't have to drive all the way to Earlywine.

As inconsiderate and irresponsible as drivers are these days I do not feel safe walking/jogging or riding my bike along public streets. Even the ones designated as bike routes.

I wonder how many parents are going to let their kids ride their bike to this park.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I wonder how many parents are going to let their kids ride their bike to this park.
    do parents let their kids ride their bikes anywhere??

First of all, it isnt called Central Park, it is the Central Moore Park, meaning it is the park at or near the center of Moore. Second, it isn't designed to be a neighborhood park, but a destination for the whole community. With the community center, farmer's market, ampitheater, and aquatic center all staged in this location, it's silly to not plan for adequate parking. As it is, many people stay away from activities at Buck Thomas park because of the lack of parking - an issue also to be addressed under a seperate question on the ballot November 6. My only concern is the proximity to the railroad tracks and trains running so close to a play area for children. Also, the noise of a train passing will cause performances in the ampitheater to have to pause, which could be awkward. Overall though, I'm glad to see the city try and do something to improve quality of life to our community.

16. Default Re: New Central Park for Moore

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    do parents let their kids ride their bikes anywhere??
    Only the ones that are trying to correct the harm they've done to the gene pool.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike View Post
    First of all, it isnt called Central Park, it is the Central Moore Park, meaning it is the park at or near the center of Moore. Second, it isn't designed to be a neighborhood park, but a destination for the whole community. With the community center, farmer's market, ampitheater, and aquatic center all staged in this location, it's silly to not plan for adequate parking. As it is, many people stay away from activities at Buck Thomas park because of the lack of parking - an issue also to be addressed under a seperate question on the ballot November 6. My only concern is the proximity to the railroad tracks and trains running so close to a play area for children. Also, the noise of a train passing will cause performances in the ampitheater to have to pause, which could be awkward. Overall though, I'm glad to see the city try and do something to improve quality of life to our community.
    Oklahoma City's Central park will be a destination for the whole metro and I guarantee you there will be nothing other than streetside parking for it. Weird how Moore's will need so much just to accommodate visitors from within its borders.

I'm sure there will be plenty of surface parking lots within a reasonable walking distance of the Central park in OKC; Moore doesn't have that option. There is nowhere for streetside parking on the roads surrounding this area unless you're going to widen 4th, 19th, or Broadway for the sole purpose of adding parking on busy streets. A parking area is the logical way to go on this. Face it, this is Moore - the epitome of suburb living.

I agree with both of your thoughts Sid. It would be better to have a few small parking lots than one humongous asphalt jungle. I am hoping that the plans include some type of wall along the eastern edge for noise and safety reasons.

I live in Moore, and the City of Moore must have been reading my mind. My wife and I were just talking the other day that we hated driving all the way to Earlywine Park for recreational activities, as Moore does not have a recreation campus and it needed one desperately, being that Earlywine Park/YMCA was developed to serve all of Moore and south Oklahoma City, so its very crowded.

With that being said, associated parking is needed to support aquatic center and community/fitness center. The renderings look like it will be an Earlywine Park #2, which is fine by me, as Earlywine Park is a great place to go. I wonder if the YMCA will be the operator of the community/fitness center, hope so!

Moreover, I don't know why people get worked up over conceptual renderings. This was clearly mocked up for promotional and voting purposes, its not even a done deal, nor has a architect been chosen. I am sure if the G.O. Bond passes, and architect hired, final plans will be totally different.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Moreover, I don't know why people get worked up over conceptual renderings. This was clearly mocked up for promotional and voting purposes, its not even a done deal, nor has a architect been chosen. I am sure if the G.O. Bond passes, and architect hired, final plans will be totally different.
    True, this whole thread is arguing about a rendering that was just thrown together. The parking was way over done in the rendering. Its about three times the amount at Earlywine. Its largest parking lot is for the YMCA.

Nothing says health and fitness like driving to a walking path.

24. Default Re: New Central Park for Moore

This is nothing short of a positive development for Moore on an empty plot of land in the central part of town. Like a previous poster said some people will never be satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    ...Like a previous poster said some people will never be satisfied...
    I don't have a huge issue with this development and it's too early to even complain much about it as G. Walker pointed out but it drives me nuts when people say things like "some people will never be satisfied" yet those same people are the one's that suggest things and believe in those things that can -- and will -- better a community. You won't get any true changes or progress if you're satisfied with every proposal or development that takes place on a vacant piece of land.

I'm not picking on this development, but it's no secret that all you have to do in Oklahoma is put make-up on a pig and it's a date (minus a few recent projects). I'm also not picking on you s00nr1 or Jesseda, just trying to make a point.

Thread Information