Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thunder Canyon - New Housing Addition in East Edmond.

Default Thunder Canyon - New Housing Addition in East Edmond.

Edmond planners will consider 193-lot housing addition | News OK

First off, I want to warn anyone who builds using Dodson. Everyone I have talked to has had a terrible time with them.

Secondly, Seriously??? 193 lots on 140 acres?? That's disgusting. Why do we allow these builders to buy these plots of land and destroy the natural beauty of our landscape in these areas? They just pile in the houses as close as possible, and they house quality sucks to begin with. If they are going to build this far out, why can't they give them bigger yards with fewer houses to maintain some of the natural beauty of the area?? I'm sure they would get the same money out of it in the end. This stuff drives me crazy. I hope nobody buys out here.

Default Re: Thunder Canyon - New Housing Addition in East Edmond.

Lol, I just looked at the location on Google Earth, and let me tell you, that is the worst placement for a new addition I've ever seen. It is directly north of a water treatment plant. That is the worst possible direction especially come August in Oklahoma. Man that would stink. Also, I noticed several high-end neighborhoods around that area too. It is sad to see what these builders can get away with.

Looks like track housing is coming to East Edmond-damn the trees, lets build a pile of crappy houses

Does "Thunder Canyon" even have a ravine running through it? Or are they just attempting to build false expectations?

Speaking of "track housing" . . . They ought to run a railroad between the high-end developments and this new one so that it can be on "the wrong side of the tracks."

(p.s. all the trees will still be there . . . they will just look like houses =)

Quote Originally Posted by Rom View Post
    Looks like track housing is coming to East Edmond-damn the trees, lets build a pile of crappy houses
    No joke! I was hoping to buy a house in East Edmond someday with an acre or two of land. I guess that dream is dwindling.

Quote Originally Posted by Rom View Post
    already has just north of this new development ... and that one is smaller houses and smaller lots ..

For the sake of clarification:

Tract housing:

Track housing:

I'm still wondering about the "Canyon" . . . the "Thunder" will be realized when people start bitching about the stink from the water treatment plant rather than the noise from a nearby airport or Air Force base.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    For the sake of clarification:

Tract housing:

Track housing:

I'm still wondering about the "Canyon" . . . the "Thunder" will be realized when people start bitching about the stink from the water treatment plant rather than the noise from a nearby airport or Air Force base.
    It is just a play on words, "Thunder Canyon." Anything that sounds like a nice place to live must be. As far as the stink is concerned, it will be BAD. We live about a mile to the SE of one, and when there is a small breeze from the NW, it will cover the neighborhood in a stank that will make you run for cover. But, it is generally short lived (don't really get many northwesterly storms in the winter anymore), and it doesn't take much of a breeze to move that smell away. However, living (literally) directly north of one of those would be terrible especially with the summers we have here!!

Maybe it's just me . . . But I think that the last place I'd want to live would be in an addition called "Thunder Canyon" . . . Especially in the wilderness east of Edmond. Neither "Thunder" nor "Canyon" have positive connotations in my lexicon of reality . . . "Thunder Canyon" might be OK for some high-rise apartments down near the arena, but out there in the hinterlands, it sounds like something that might have been created by an earthquake or sumpin' . . . Throw a sewer-treatment plant into the mix and . . . well . . .

Ah, this thread reminds me of how nice it is to live downtown. Although there is a track here, it just adds to the atmosphere as far as I'm concerned.

this is no joke....

names of the street (taken from the preliminary plat) -

- Thunder Blvd
    - Durant Drive
    - Presti Way
    - Collison Ct
    - Westbrook Pass
    - Rumble Lane
    - Aldrich Ave
    - Bennett Ct
    - Sefolosha St
    - Martin Ct
    - Perkins Ct
    - Ibaka Ct
    - Dodson St

Seriously ... that is ridiculously stupid!

c'mon man!

Biggest issue I have with something like this is the density / lot size compared to the neighborhoods around this area are 6,000 +/- SF lots compared to 43,560-80,000 SF +/- lots!

Quote Originally Posted by pearlbluevtx View Post
    this is no joke....

- Thunder Blvd
    - Durant Drive
    - Presti Way
    - Collison Ct
    - Westbrook Pass
    - Rumble Lane
    - Aldrich Ave
    - Bennett Ct
    - Sefolosha St
    - Martin Ct
    - Perkins Ct
    - Ibaka Ct
    - Dodson St

c'mon man!

Biggest issue I have with something like this is the density / lot size compared to the neighborhoods around this area are 6,000 +/- SF lots compared to 43,560-80,000 SF +/- lots!
    Hahahahaha!! Could you imagine living on Westbrook St if he gets traded to some other team someday. Do they not realize that players get traded in this league?? How stupid!!!

I wonder if this neighborhood would reduce the home values of some of those larger houses/lots northeast of there.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Hahahahaha!! Could you imagine living on Westbrook St if he gets traded to some other team someday. Do they not realize that players get traded in this league?? How stupid!!!

I wonder if this neighborhood would reduce the home values of some of those larger houses/lots northeast of there.
    Ya, like Aldrich Ave. These names are just a little too ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Ya, like Aldrich Ave. These names are just a little too ridiculous
    Yeah, I could see a resident being called..."you bought a lot on Aldrich Avenue...well, it's been traded to some random citizen from Houston. Sorry!" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlbluevtx View Post
    this is no joke....

- Thunder Blvd
    - Durant Drive
    - Presti Way
    - Collison Ct
    - Westbrook Pass
    - Rumble Lane
    - Aldrich Ave
    - Bennett Ct
    - Sefolosha St
    - Martin Ct
    - Perkins Ct
    - Ibaka Ct
    - Dodson St

c'mon man!

This is beyond stupid! Far beyond stupid!
    This is just so small town and goofy sounding. It's embarrassing. I don't think I could bring myself to buy somewhere with such stupid names.

16. Default Re: Thunder Canyon - New Housing Addition in East Edmond.

It's not just stupid, it's possibly going to get them sued. The NBA, the NBAPA and the players own their own rights to publicity. Not to mention the Thunder (OKC Basketball Club, LLC) itself. I researched a similar issue for a client and advised them that using names of existing people and businesses to make a profit was a dicey undertaking at best.

So . . . what about Beard Avenue?

I think that the Edmond PowerMeisters ought to reject the entire application on the grounds of unforgivable stupidity . . .
    (oh...wait....this is edmond . . .)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Maybe it's just me . . . But I think that the last place I'd want to live would be in an addition called "Thunder Canyon" . . . Especially in the wilderness east of Edmond. Neither "Thunder" nor "Canyon" have positive connotations in my lexicon of reality . . . "Thunder Canyon" might be OK for some high-rise apartments down near the arena, but out there in the hinterlands, it sounds like something that might have been created by an earthquake or sumpin' . . . Throw a sewer-treatment plant into the mix and . . . well . . .

Might not be as bad as living in that other addition in Edmond over on Coltrane called "Morning Woods"

"Mourning Woods" might be more accurate . . .

I long for the days of "Dripping Springs" . . . "Flat Mountain Paradise" . . . "Dinky Estates" . . . "Featherstone" . . . etc. ad infinitum . . . . . . .

Lightning Gorge?

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    Might not be as bad as living in that other addition in Edmond over on Coltrane called "Morning Woods"
    Tell me you're kidding, right? Someone called an addition "Morning Woods"? Do you have to get permission to name your housing addition? Who approved that?

Passing that neighborhood is the highlight of Coltrane, too. Always a good laugh with people who have not seen it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Tell me you're kidding, right? Someone called an addition "Morning Woods"? Do you have to get permission to name your housing addition? Who approved that?
    No kidding. East side of Coltrane between 2nd and Danforth.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    No kidding. East side of Coltrane between 2nd and Danforth.
    Yep, it's there. I drive by it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Debzkidz View Post
    Yep, it's there. I drive by it all the time.
    (Do ya still) did ya chuckle when you saw the sign for the first time? or were you always mature about it? Me, I still chuckle just when I see this thread name, because to me, it's no longer about a sub-par poorly named housing addition in east Edmond ... well, maybe it is -- just not Thunder Canyon which only induces a head shake.

Thread Information