Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State Farm

Default State Farm

I decided to check around for different quotes on home, auto and motorcycle insurance just to see if I was getting a fair deal now. I got an online quote from State Farm for auto, renters and motorcycle. I was turned down for home because they said I had a previous claim, which I've never had and turned down for auto because I had a speeding ticket over a year ago, 43 in a 35. I told them about never having a home claim and they said it was their mistake and could give me insurance for the house but still can't for the car. I thanked them for their time and said if a year old ticket for going less that 10 over prevented me from getting State Farm then I didn't want them anyway because if this is how they acted now I would hate to see how they act if I did have a claim. So I'm sticking with Geico who still offers me the lowest premiums and has always treated me good.

Default Re: State Farm

We have had State Farm for decades and have been treated more than fairly on every claim. We found out years ago that one reason they were so good is that they were very particular in who they let in. I suggest you try again when that ticket is gone. On both the house and the vehicles we have always gotten way more than we expected and were always treated royally. They have never raised our rates after a claim. Once in, you're good, or at least that has been our experience.

State Farm is a solid company, however, you might consider checking with AAA Insurance or Liberty Mutual. Their premiums seem to be very reasonable lately.

What USG says, and then some.

I am a mega fan of State Farm and have been for decades. Great treatment, no grouse re claims, and there have been more than a few over the decades. I'd still be with my first agent if I hadn't outlived him. I'm on my third agent now as my second agent has also passed. I think I may sometimes make the current agent a bit nervous.

RoadHawg, I've worked in the insurance business for many years now and have found that it is usually the best idea to work through an agent. It's always good to have someone local you can talk to about your coverage and needs. Just saying.

State Farm fan here as well. Been with them for 20+ years and they have always treated me well

try looking into AAA

State Farm all the way. Fairest insurance company I have ever dealt with. After 2 claims they hold no ill will. Rates went up about 2% for a year and then dropped right back to where they were before.

Was with SF for over 20 years and even after no claims the rate continually went up. Talked to Chayse Gibbons (Chayse Insurance) and he saved me over $200/yr on my combined auto/home/motorcycle policy. I firmly believe in shopping around every few years for any service you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    Was with SF for over 20 years and even after no claims the rate continually went up. Talked to Chayse Gibbons (Chayse Insurance) and he saved me over $200/yr on my combined auto/home/motorcycle policy. I firmly believe in shopping around every few years for any service you pay for.
    Difference may come when you have a claim

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Difference may come when you have a claim
    That is a possibility however if everyone took personal responsibility I believe that overall, rates would come down, F'rinstance, I don't expect to be bailed out by anyone if acts of god or nature cause hundreds of dollars of damage to my property. I carry $1K auto deductible and $2K on my home. My low insurance rates are the payback for assuming some of the risks myself. There is no free lunch but you can make your own discount if you desire.

I have made all kinds of claims and have OFTEN wondered how they can stay in business while being so generous. I have literallly been amazed. State Farm has been a lifesaver at out house. We use Bob Stocton agency and they nearly feel like family.

Side note - where ever you elect to obtain coverage from, if you do not carry medical payments coverage, talk to your agent about it, even if you have health insurance coverage. Should its need ever arise, you'll be pleased you took the time.

State Farm has always treated us fairly as well. In over ten years we have only filed one claim and that was for damage from the World's Record Hailstorm last year. Very fair--and fast--settlement in my opinion.

This was through AAA and I've had SF in the past but being denied for a ticket for going 10 under just irked me to no end. Especially when that's the only ticket I've had in over 10 years and no claims. I'll speak to a local agent and see what they have to say. I can't remember what company it was but they wanted to put a monitoring devise on my car for 8 weeks to determine my driving habits, I told them what they could kiss.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhawg View Post
    ... I can't remember what company it was but they wanted to put a monitoring devise on my car for 8 weeks to determine my driving habits, I told them what they could kiss.
    I've seen ads from Flo and Progressive advocating such a device as a premium savings 'feature'. Seems silly, but if they have a wide range of premiums, perhaps it could be worth the savings for the slow and steady drivers who might not get lower rates elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhawg View Post
    I can't remember what company it was but they wanted to put a monitoring devise on my car for 8 weeks to determine my driving habits, I told them what they could kiss.
    Actually, I would imagine that insurance companies already have a method of hacking into one's "smart phone" or GPS or that "spy chip" in modern cars to determine if a potential client is a speeder. It's just the price of progress I guess... =)

I believe charity begins at home and shopping around is a good thing. But, I have been with State Farm since 1972 with my boat, house(s), and car(s). They went through some expensive times with me when my boys started driving, two cars totaled, five people hospitalized (overnight), and a hypochondriac who's car my son bumped in the Lazy E parking lot (less than five mph) who's chiropractor bills were horrendous. During this time one of my sons was taken to court twice and one resulted in a jury trial. He was innocent but all I'm saying is, I have been treated more than fair. Several major insurance companies have tried to get me to switch but they don't get close to the price I'm paying. In the last 10 years, I switched to high deductible and it has paid off well for me. I do have some loyalty but only to my agent. I told the other companies to quit calling because they were too far out of line on price. As for prices going up, normally my car stays the same but due to inflation, I do receive increases on my homeowner's police almost every year. It's usually a small increase but if inflation goes sky high, I'm sure my insurance will go up at about the same rate.
    C. T.

I had State Farm while a driver in high school (I've been driving since I was 14!), and I really liked them. I was very disappointed when they came out higher than Geico/Travelers for both auto and home insurance. My home insurance increased nearly $200/month this year, so unfortunately at this point I'm not willing to pay a little extra for the company I grew up with.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state...ting-shows.ece

I think Texas has some of the highest home owner and auto insurance rates in the country anyway, though.

JayhawkTransplant,
    I totally understand. My rates aren't anywhere near that. Probably because of my age (I'm really old) and I don't have any tickets or personal claims. Before I dropped collision a couple of years ago I was paying about $360 every six months. Now it's about $250 every six months which includes comprehensive as well as liability. As I said, charity begins at home and if SF was charging me that rate, I would be shopping around.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkTransplant View Post
    I had State Farm while a driver in high school (I've been driving since I was 14!), and I really liked them. I was very disappointed when they came out higher than Geico/Travelers for both auto and home insurance. My home insurance increased nearly $200/month this year, so unfortunately at this point I'm not willing to pay a little extra for the company I grew up with.

Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkTransplant View Post
    I think all of the home insurance rates for the okla area went up especially after the may 2010 hail storm.

I do a bit of personal injury work. I can say that State Farm is among the worst companies to deal with. Doing a jury trial on what is really an open and shut case of liability right now in a few months. State Farm may treat their insureds alright, but they'll also get you sued, because they're absolutely unreasonable on their settlements.

Here's a fairly decent list of who is good and bad in the insurance world, ranked by the number of times insureds have sued their insurance companies for wrongful denial of claims.

http://www.badfaithinsurance.org/indexdetaillist.html

Both as a customer and as an advocate, my experiences with State Farm differ significantly from what Mid is dealing with. I did run across one adjuster (quite a while back now, as in early 90's) who was a punch bowl lump. But, even that turned out well when all was said and done.

Kevin, State Farm is one of the few (maybe only) companies which have really been caught with their hand in the proverbial cookie jar of bad faith. It's company policy.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/01-1289.ZO.html

They have a program referred to as PP&R where denying righteous claims and getting claimants sued is actually the way they do business. Read the above case... and that case isn't the only punitive damages case which mentions this program. It's cheaper for them to pay treble damages (or whatever) on 1:50,000 cases than it is to pay claimants what their claims are worth.

Bottom line, state farm will get you sued. It's company policy. Right now, I have a case (which I just mentioned) where there is over seven figures in liability, where we've made a VERY reasonable offer. Instead, I'm sure State Farm will spend six figures in attorney's fees defending the claim, waste a jury's time, lose, then their client will be on the hook for anything we get in judgment above policy limits.

Thread Information