Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wal Mart or Target?

Default Wal Mart or Target?

If Wal Mart or Target were the only stores in town - which one would you choose and why?
    Me? Target -cleaner, calmer and actually have personnel at their cash registers.

Default Re: Wal Mart or Target?

target..in a perfect world. but with that said i cant stand walmarts pricing but they have the market cornered in one stop shopping. what i hate is that they go through cycles of lowering it and then raising prices to above their competitors, then when people realize that they arent the cheapest place to shop in town they lower them again and start the cycle over.

3. Default Re: Wal Mart or Target?

My preference is Target - cleaner, less crowded, less odd people, and easier to check out.

However, grocery prices at WalMart are much cheaper than the Target or grocery stores in my area, so I shop more often at WalMart (I just tend to do it at 7am).

My preference is Target but my budgets preference is WalMart

Drive to a market in a nearby town.

6. Default Re: Wal Mart or Target?

Quote Originally Posted by HewenttoJared View Post
    Drive to a market in a nearby town.
    For what reason? What grocery store is going to be cheaper than the WalMart or Sam's that are within 2 miles of my house? Driving anywhere further causes higher costs in fuel and time.

If Target had WalMart prices and variety then I'd only shop there. The wife shops at Target because she feels a 10%-20% higher price is worth it to avoid the pitfalls of WalMart in many cases.

Target. I can have something in my cart when leaving, unbagged, without being asked to prove I'm not thief. Target.

I agree with Target but I still hold my nose and fight the Walmart crowds occasionally for specific items.

there's actually hot chicks at target, they love that place, especially the one in norman

Target, but MWC Target doesn't have full groceries. I've found myself enjoying the new Walmart Market at Reno/MW Blvd. It's clean, well-stocked, employees are excellent (they even make fun of the "super-center"!) Homeland is still in the mix, particularly on the way home from work.

11. Default Re: Wal Mart or Target?

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri101 View Post
    Target, but MWC Target doesn't have full groceries. I've found myself enjoying the new Walmart Market at Reno/MW Blvd. It's clean, well-stocked, employees are excellent (they even make fun of the "super-center"!) Homeland is still in the mix, particularly on the way home from work.
    We must shop the same area. Yeah, the MWC Target is a joke when it comes to food and the MWC WalMart at Sooner and 15th is just downright scary sometimes.

Never been to the Reno/MW Blvd WalMart though. Will have to check it out.

We used to go to the Del City Homeland at Sunnylane/29th because its clean and never crowded - but I started comparing prices and they are crazy high. Even the Braums at SE 44/Sunnylane is cheaper on virtually everything. Which I forgot, we used to buy a lot of groceries there, but in the last 6 months their produce has been terrible.

When we can we shop at the Moore or Norman Targets (if we are already in the area).

12. Default Re: Wal Mart or Target?

Definately Wal-Mart. I don't agree with Targets recent marketing campaigns amd prefer Wal-Mart

Target all the way. I hate standing in line to check out at Walmart. Plus the customers at Target aren't nuts. It seems like people leave their courtesy and common sense at home when they go to Walmart.

Wal-mart anytime between 2-4 am. It's not merely shopping, it's an adventure.

I shop specials and buy store brands at Homeland and have found the price difference to be bearable just for the pleasantly small store. The Reno/Mw Blvd WM is the Market version. It's size is comparable to Homeland or other similar. The frozen food section at WM Market is great!
    Target will be adding some produce and more groceries within a year, according to sources. MWC Target will never have full grocery - some sort of back room deal I've heard. It sucks, as Target is only 4 blocks from house!

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    For what reason? What grocery store is going to be cheaper than the WalMart or Sam's that are within 2 miles of my house? Driving anywhere further causes higher costs in fuel and time.

If Target had WalMart prices and variety then I'd only shop there. The wife shops at Target because she feels a 10%-20% higher price is worth it to avoid the pitfalls of WalMart in many cases.
    For better options and locally-sourced merchandise. I drive a little farther, but my beef and vegetables didn't come from outside the state or country.

17. Default Re: Wal Mart or Target?

Quote Originally Posted by HewenttoJared View Post
    For better options and locally-sourced merchandise. I drive a little farther, but my beef and vegetables didn't come from outside the state or country.
    Couldn't care less if my vegetables are local or not. I (like the majority) look for best price for good (doesn't have to be prime) quality. We don't buy beef unless we are hosting some sort of get-together and even then we usually buy at Braums - which is already close and local.

That's cool if people want to do whatever is necessary to 'buy local', buy prime, buy organic or whatever feel good shopping motivates them. Just not my thing. Our monthly grocery bill is pretty tiny.

I'll venture (I miss them) over to Target every once in a while (usually based on an ad price) and it is closer to me than the Wal-marts I frequent. But the grocery is extremely limited (the remodeled one @ 50th & N. May is supposedly 8 sf & a half dozen parking spaces shy of being deemed a SuperTarget). Prices are often higher for comparable goods (whenever I think Wal-Mart is getting pricey, I go to Target and quickly head back to Wal-mart). That said Target's checkout lanes are shorter/stores less crowded. I haven't seen the price swings at Wal-mart nearly as much as other places. Most grocery stores have a 12 week cycle where they are constantly raising/lowering prices. Wal-mart seems to follow the "always the low price" model. Every once in a while, they may lower prices farther or lower theirs below a competitors sale price (but in my experience, the sale price of others is higher than Wal-marts everyday price). As far as the receipt inspection goes, reportedly that is falling to the wayside.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Wal-mart anytime between 2-4 am. It's not merely shopping, it's an adventure.
    Not a fun one to me, if pallets are in the way from stocking the shelves and aisles blocked off for floor maintenance.

I think Walmart is starting to drop Supercenter from their stores. I think most of their stores have been converted to stores with a Groceries or limited grocery service like Target is doing in most of their stores. I think they maybe getting away from building stores over 150,000 sq ft. For awhile they were building stores in excess of 200,000 sq ft.

I noticed they have also closed their photo studios in the Del City and Midwest City stores,

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    I noticed they have also closed their photo studios in the Del City and Midwest City stores,
    Photo Studios are outdated with today's technology. Plenty of young people out there with access to digital cameras who think they will make it big as photographers.

22. Default Re: Wal Mart or Target?

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    I think Walmart is starting to drop Supercenter from their stores. I think most of their stores have been converted to stores with a Groceries or limited grocery service like Target is doing in most of their stores. I think they maybe getting away from building stores over 150,000 sq ft. For awhile they were building stores in excess of 200,000 sq ft.
    If you ever get a chance, check out the new store in Joplin...I've never seen one so big...

Target. I know they're higher on some items, but I don't mind paying the premium to avoid the Wal-Mart "experience." Last time I was home, I was buying most of my groceries at Crest, but I am looking forward to trying Sunflower Market and Whole Foods for a change up.

I know the Target IN MWC is getting ready to remodel and expand on their grocery section. I belieive that is a phase all the General Merchandise Target Stores (non-super Targets) are getting ready to go through.

And the mention of Venture stores...I miss them as well. I remember shopping thm in the 80's when I'd vist okc. Fun fact: I have a Floor standing Halogen lamp in the living room I still use that was bought at the venture in MWC, use it daily. Only changed the original bulb recently!

We should be buying our products from mom and pop stores instead of these huge corporations. These huge corporations are taking over the world.

Thread Information