Widgets Magazine

Thread: How tall is the Telephone Building?

Default How tall is the Telephone Building?

How tall is it with and without the equipment on top?

2. Default Re: How tall is the Telephone Building?

3. Default Re: How tall is the Telephone Building?

Default Re: How tall is the Telephone Building?

Can we use some of that maps tax surplus to get that equipment off of there?

Quote Originally Posted by BDK View Post
    Can we use some of that maps tax surplus to get that equipment off of there?

I would love that. That is one neat looking building. With some of the ugliest junk on top. : (

That's art deco, popular during the era when the building was made.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    That's art deco, popular during the era when the building was made.
    Except for the fact that so-called "art deco" was added years after the building was completed, probably at 50 years.

According to skycraperpage.com

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=624

It doesn't mention the rooftop equipment.

The equipment on top is old microwaves. I believe they were installed in the 60's. I was an old Oribt from the Sunday Oklahoman that had an article about the installation and why they were being installed. More expensive to remove than keep. I have a booklet the was handed out during the open house. It is quit interesting to see the old pictures.

It seems that there are conflicting height sources. I found one that said it's 208' without the equipment, then skyscraperpage.com says 303' tall. Ugh...

I worked on the 4th floor of that building until late 1994, when I transferred to the SBC office in Norman.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you what happened on April 19 of the following year; the windows in the northwest corner of my former office were blown out.

I wanted to make the proper height adjustments on SkyscraperPage.com because it doesn't seem to be around 300 ft tall.

Quote Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
    I wanted to make the proper height adjustments on SkyscraperPage.com because it doesn't seem to be around 300 ft tall.
    Emporis has it below The Bricktown Hampton,so around 200'ft sounds right w/o the crap ontop!

14. Default Re: How tall is the Telephone Building?

OK so I'm just curious about this....was the basement totally full of switches? I can only imagine the volume in that room.

There original building was built around 1907 by Pioneer Telephone. Several years later Southwestern Bell aka AT&T bought them out they began the Telephone building in 1927 to meet the needs of Okc's telephone customers and their ability to direct dial. The plans were to have the 405 building built then eventually tear down the Pioneer bldg and build a larger mirror building on the Pioneer buildings footprint and add several more stories to the entire new larger building. As we know the plans never materialized. In the 50's Southwestern Bell build another building at 707 N. Robinson. In the 60's and early 70's they build the 111 and 121 buildings on at that time was NW 3rd now Dean A. McGee. The building housed it's own medical clinic, cafeteria and water tanks. I hear tell that the 405 area code was selected of the address it being 405 N Broadway Ave. I also believe the switching equipment was located on the lower floors and on NW 23rd and Ollie. See following video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD400...eature=related

FYI there is a Telephone Museum located in the lobby for the 111 Dean A. McGee building. It has limited hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9e3d...eature=related Found this video and it is a hoot.

Thread Information