Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: June 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Weather June 2024 - General Weather Discussion

It's June 1. Time to start a new month's weather discussion thread.

For tonight in the NWS forecast for OKC there is a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 69. South southeast wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Default Re: June 2024 - General Weather Discussion

I don't think we will have to worry about big storms for awhile. It appears hot weather has begun c

Looks like the remnants of storms originating in the Texas panhandle are surviving long enough to reach central Oklahoma. What's left of them may have gusty winds, and maybe small hail, and are trucking NE at about 45. Odd little cluster of storms, because radar seems to show them "kinda" breaking down as they approach, but they're obviously holding together well enough to keep going.

Might drench the WCWS over the next hour or so, but those games don't start until 2pm.

Once again, rain is dying as it comes to okc. Feel like there’s a permanent lid over us this year.

Blog Entries

Solid rain in NW OKC. I’ll take it!

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Once again, rain is dying as it comes to okc. Feel like there’s a permanent lid over us this year.
    I swear I read a variation of this comment every time it starts pouring at my house.

Blog Entries

On top of a great rain, we have now lost power.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    I swear I read a variation of this comment every time it starts pouring at my house.
    Yeah I’m not sure where these parts of OKC that aren’t getting any rain. I still haven’t turned my sprinklers on yet.

Need this rain to reach SE OKC.

Edit on my last post:

Nevermind. Just got dumped on lol

Nice soak going on in central OKC. Didn’t expect it but I will take it.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Edit on my last post:

Nevermind. Just got dumped on lol
    The reverse psychology worked! Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Elrenogolf View Post
    Yeah I’m not sure where these parts of OKC that aren’t getting any rain. I still haven’t turned my sprinklers on yet.
    Well Will Rogers for one.

HRRR models are showing two separate MCS’ affecting Oklahoma tomorrow: the first moves through north-central and NE OK from mid-morning to noon and the other forms later tomorrow night and moves through central and SE OK early Tuesday.

Tornadoes in Southwest Oklahoma later today (Monday). Hum looking like maybe. Even close to the metro? Not likely but something to keep an eye on.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Tornadoes in Southwest Oklahoma later today (Monday). Hum looking like maybe. Even close to the metro? Not likely but something to keep an eye on.
    This is a moderately complicated setup.

The storms in NW OK, which started yesterday afternoon in Kansas/E. Colorado, are expected to endure and roll through central OK and into SE OK later today.

Those storms will create their own outflow boundary toward SW OK that could create a region supporting development of severe thunderstorms with a (presently) lowish but nonzero risk of tornado development. I haven't looked at any models but I think there was talk that tornado risk may increase later today as things evolve - not sure about that.

7:56AM - The storms in NW OK appear to be weakening some as they approach OKC. A gust front is emerging ahead of the storms suggesting the tops may be falling in. Rain is still likely later this AM unless they completely disappear, but right now they're not as strong as when they entered the state

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    7:56AM - The storms in NW OK appear to be weakening some as they approach OKC. A gust front is emerging ahead of the storms suggesting the tops may be falling in. Rain is still likely later this AM unless they completely disappear, but right now they're not as strong as when they entered the state
    We've heard this for 2 months. Lol

Blog Entries

Strong winds and heavy rain in far NW OKC. Had 1.5 inches yesterday and adding on more today.

Looking like a solid chance of elevated supercells developing pretty much right over the Metro sometime between 9 p.m. and 12 a.m. tonight, then moving southeast. Potentially a significant hail threat given the amount of elevated instability that should be in place. Secondary threat of flash flooding with any training storms.

Possibly one more MCS tomorrow night, then Wednesday and Thursday look quieter. As we approach the weekend, we will once again be on the edge of the ridge and the orientation of the jet stream suggests the potential for a strong, long-lived MCS or two.

Hoping we can continue to stack up some good precipitation totals over the next week as I think it’s a matter of when, not if we head into an extended hot/dry stretch as La Niña gets established over the next several months. Just a matter of whether the pattern shift happens later this month, or potentially holds off until closer to mid-July.

Seems we have a pretty good cumulus field building up over OKC right now....

Tulsa TV stations are still covering the aftermath of the tornadoes in northeast Oklahoma. Today, the last 1000 customers in Claremore still without power got it restored. Yesterday, some places to the south and southeast of Tulsa got a little over 2 inches of rain. As with OKC, rains tonight are expected to start just outside Tulsa.

Meanwhile, weatherman Travis Meyer has been with KOTV-6 Tulsa for 19 years since 2005. Mike Morgan has been with KFOR longer than that, since 1993.

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    We've heard this for 2 months. Lol
    Your time will come. Stillwater, which quite frequently gets bypassed, such as caused by the Stillwater split, has had two big soakers, so far, this spring. And fortunately, they came with no hail or very high winds.

Should see storm develop soon. May be just SE of OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Meanwhile, weatherman Travis Meyer has been with KOTV-6 Tulsa for 19 years since 2005. Mike Morgan has been with KFOR longer than that, since 1993.
    Travis Meyer was at KTUL for many years before moving to KOTV.

Thread Information