Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leo's BBQ

1. Northeast OKC Leo's BBQ

Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives: TV: Food Network

Went there for the first time for lunch today after my buddy Eric saw this show. It was great!

Default Re: Leo's BBQ on Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives

Where's it at?

3. Default Re: Leo's BBQ on Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives

3631 N. Kelley Ave.

4. Default Re: Leo's BBQ on Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives

Definitely go at lunch.

Used to eat there for lunch years ago when I worked at the capitol

It is most definitely a dive, but it is good and greasy just like bbq should be

I too suggest hitting Leo's for lunch as that area isn't exactly a great place to be after dark

6. Default Re: Leo's BBQ on Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives

What's wrong with that area? I'm not too familar with that part of town, but the few places I've been have all been fine.

7. Default Re: Leo's BBQ on Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives

Eh, I would stay away at night if you are :cough:caucasian:cough:

8. Default Re: Leo's BBQ on Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives

jbrown! I really hope you aren't a big racist! What difference does that make? So many people in Oklahoma say stuff like that. Would you tell an African American to stay out of a predominantly WHITE neighborhood after dark?

9. Default Re: Leo's BBQ on Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives

I'm not racist. That neighborhood is scary, and just like you have a few radical Muslims in all of Islam, there are some African-Americans that are hostile to whites, especially if you're in their "hood".

10. Default Re: Leo's BBQ on Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives

Whatever. I have many black friends.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Whatever. I have many black friends.
    You must check out this website:

Black People Love Us!

12. Default Re: Leo's BBQ on Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives

I am black. Even I stay out of that area after about 7-8 pm. It is just smart.

13. Default Re: Leo's BBQ on Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives

Yeah, there are definitely some areas in OKC that everyone should steer clear of after dark!

Mid--is this close to George's? It doesn't seem too bad over there to me, but then again, I work in a kind of scary area At least it's scary after dark, regardless of who you are.

OH yeah, the original topic--of course it has to be a dive...that's what the show's about! Pretty cool it made it onthe show. Next thing Bobo's chicken will be on there. That would be awesome. Or Eischan's, or Pappy's BBQ. Man, we have lot of dives.
    Still corrupting young minds

14. Default Re: Leo's BBQ on Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Used to eat there for lunch years ago when I worked at the capitol

It is most definitely a dive, but it is good and greasy just like bbq should be

I too suggest hitting Leo's for lunch as that area isn't exactly a great place to be after dark
    When did you work at the Capitol? I worked for the Senate for a few years in the early 90s and Leo's was always a popular choice for lunch.

As was Rick's Cafe (think that's the name) on Santa Fe. Probably some of the best chicken fried steak I've ever eaten. Now that place is (or was) your typical greasy spoon diner!

15. Default Re: Leo's BBQ on Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives

Finally got to see this one...I don't even watch this show and because I saw this thread I decided to stick around and sure enough, there was Leo's. The owner had me cracking up..."He's gonna be a Jedi soon." Hahaha.

Think I'll have to try it sometime. Looked like good old-fashioned greasy-spoon bbq. I love that they just use S&P and hickory wood. Sometimes simplicity is perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    When did you work at the Capitol? I worked for the Senate for a few years in the early 90s and Leo's was always a popular choice for lunch.

As was Rick's Cafe (think that's the name) on Santa Fe. Probably some of the best chicken fried steak I've ever eaten. Now that place is (or was) your typical greasy spoon diner!
    Nothing glamorous intrepid...Worked as a temp (whatever it was called...around 9 months full time and your time was up) in the Will Rogers bldg on 2 different occasions probably around '92

I caught it, too. It looked like Guy (the host) was having a good time and enjoyed the food.

Only downside, it made me hungy for some BBQ.

18. Default Re: Leo's BBQ on Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Nothing glamorous intrepid...Worked as a temp (whatever it was called...around 9 months full time and your time was up) in the Will Rogers bldg on 2 different occasions probably around '92

Ahh....the good 'ole temp, 900 hrs State jobs. Held several of those while going to school.

That's it Intrepid...Good money for a 20 yr old back then and I got an inside view of how hard state employees worked

Was always left wondering how Sports Illustrated and the Daily Oklahoman were required reading for every state employee I ran across

How on earth could a Leo's thread go on fo this long without mention of the strawberry banana cake.

21. Default Re: Leo's BBQ on Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives

They showed the cake on the show. Looked pretty tasty...especially the "enticing icing," as the owner called it.

Been to Leo's. Enjoyed it. It wasn't Hubert's Wild Horse Mtn., or Slicks of Muskogee, but it was right fine all the same. Haven't been back in quite a while.
    Maybe I oughta fix that this week since I'll be up that way anyways.

In more recent years, I've been a big fan of Vann's in Norman and Red Zone, formerly a Bob's, in the Sooner Legends, formerly the Ramada, in Norman.

Good stuff.

They do good ribs.. Went with my dad and my brother. Not much meat on those bones -- but what meat there was is quite tasty.

Don't be afraid when the dinner has 6 ribs in it. That sort of portion is not unmanageable.

24. Default Re: Leo's BBQ on Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives

It's probably because they use spare ribs, instead of baby back ribs...I'm guessing. I could be totally wrong.

Default Leo's BBQ is Closed

I went by the Leo's on N.E. 4th and the original on N.E. 36th and Kelley today and they were both closed. Each had the orange paper with the notice from the tax commision that they had been shut down for nonpayment of taxes. I hope they can work this out and reopen soon. Leo's is my favorite BBQ in Oklahoma City. I went to Bedlam BBQ at N.E. 50th and Lincoln today and I talked to a few people that had gone to Leo's but went there when they saw Leo's was not open. Bedlam was packed! I like it to.

Bigray in Ok

Thread Information