Widgets Magazine

Thread: What does it take to get City of OKC traffic engineers to reprogram EK Gaylord?

Default What does it take to get City of OKC traffic engineers to reprogram EK Gaylord?

Driving every morning on EK Gaylord getting off Shields from I-40, I notice the incredibly poor timing of the traffic signals. I'll preface my argument by stating I am for walkability and such, and aware of it's arguments, especially on EKG by Sante Fe Station, however the massive influx of vehicles coming off I-40 at peak times, the traffic signals are creating unnecessary bottlenecks. The E/W lights coming in and out of Bricktown and Deep Deuce will run forever with no cars coming through, meanwhile, you'll have dozens of cars waiting to go N/S on EKG and you'll wait 5 minutes before the light turns. Anyone have any advice how to inform the city, I get no luck with the "Action" Center.

Default Re: What does it take to get City of OKC traffic engineers to reprogram EK Gaylord?

Ive complained about lights by my office and near my home that were historically good at changing when yourself or another car pulled up to it but have since gone to what appears a timer based system. Nothing has happened after my multiple calls.

Default Re: What does it take to get City of OKC traffic engineers to reprogram EK Gaylord?

I think the traffic congestion will be relieved when the eastern and western ends of the boulevard are connected to I-40. Capacity will more than double for people commuting to the CBD. This was one of the primary fallacies of Wenger and OKCPW's insistence on the poor boulevard design they are pushing - they completely ignored this capacity that will be available.

Screw the boulevard and even so, we're supposed to wait 1-2 years instead of them adjusting the sensors and/or timers?

5. Default Re: What does it take to get City of OKC traffic engineers to reprogram EK Gaylord?

When you find out, let me know. They have some work they need to do at 240 Sooner as well. Not to mention Meridian.

I'm gonna bet that if you time the lights on your cell phone timer that it's not 5 minutes... You should film it and upload it to YouTube to prove your point.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Screw the boulevard and even so, we're supposed to wait 1-2 years instead of them adjusting the sensors and/or timers?
    You can do that if you want to, but the fact remains it will help with the problem you mentioned - eventually. It doesn't even matter what the middle section looks like, simply reconnecting the street grid to I-40 in two locations will double capacity at least thereby alleviating the problem you are having to deal with now. Hopefully our Public Works Department will spend less time screwing up Project 180 bike lanes and actually work on issues like signal timing and synchronization.

Agreed. Instead of setting up light timeing for what it would be in the future re-time them for traffic as it exists now. When the boulevard gets finished revist the issue. Pretty simply for an educated mind to understand. City Traffic recieves over 100+ light retimes every week. For every request made there is somebody else wanting the exact opposite.

I know you're talking about city streets, but it's all relative to the I-40 relocation stuffs. Try contacting the Planning Division at ODOT. I was eventually routed to them and got the timing worked out at Penn and Reno where there was a bottle neck right after I-40 opened. Now I'm sure it wasn't just my call, but I got a positive response from that contact.

Driving every morning on EK Gaylord getting off Shields from I-40, I notice the incredibly poor timing of the traffic signals. I'll preface my argument by stating I am for walkability and such, and aware of it's arguments, especially on EKG by Sante Fe Station, however the massive influx of vehicles coming off I-40 at peak times, the traffic signals are creating unnecessary bottlenecks. The E/W lights coming in and out of Bricktown and Deep Deuce will run forever with no cars coming through, meanwhile, you'll have dozens of cars waiting to go N/S on EKG and you'll wait 5 minutes before the light turns. Anyone have any advice how to inform the city, I get no luck with the "Action" Center.
    So, I'm assuming they won't really do anything with this seeing as they are redoing it with P180?

Thread Information