Widgets Magazine

Thread: Pho Nomenal - NW OKC Pho!

Default Pho Nomenal - NW OKC Pho!

Pho Nomenal just opened up on N. May near Wilshire last week. It is next door to and owned by the people who own Okura Sushi.

I have been in 3 times already and the Pho is pretty good. I have yet to try any other entrees ( I had the crab rangoon, those were good too) but I'm impressed so far.

So anybody who enjoys Pho but doesn't feel like driving all the way to 23rd, go check it out!

Also anyone who has no idea what Pho is, it's essentially fancy Ramen. But it's really good and healthy for you too.

Default Re: Pho Nomenal - NW OKC Pho!

Not sure what all the craze is with Pho lately, OKC already had/has quite a few Pho places, and it seems several are opening up all over the metro.

It is probably because of all the Vietnamese in OKC. The Vietnamese population is growing. Hopefully we can attract more with these types of establishments. Houston has a huge Vietnamese population.

Yes, but there has always been a lot of Pho places in the "Vietnamese District" aka little Saigon or Asian District. I'm talking about these places coming to Edmond, N. May, etc. all over the place lately, like it's a trend.

Metro, I think they have figured out that people really like Pho and not all of them live near the Asian District. There is a market for it in other areas of town.

I ate at Pho Nomenal on Saturday, it is a two minute drive from my house. It was good; not as good as Pho Hoa, but still good. Because of the proximity, I expect it will be a regular stop for us.

I've gotta agree with Kim on this one. I don't see Pho as a sudden trend so much as I see that there are intelligent business owners and entrepreneurs seeking to open their wares to new markets. They know Pho is successful; they want to increase that success by expanding the market.

I realize that to some, it is antethetic to eat Pho anywhere but in the "Asian District," but on weekends, I'm just not going to make that drive from Edmond to go eat noodle soup. I WILL drive to 33rd and B'way, which is about 12 miles closer to home.

Now, during the week when I'm working downtown, or during those times when I happen to be near the Asian District and the craving for lime, hoisin and cilantro just won't go away, then I'm happy to hit any one of the stops along Classen.

My guess is with a DMA of 1.2 million, we can handle a few Pho places outside the 23rd & Classen corridor.

I mean, if I can get real mexican in Edmond (similar to what you find on SW 44th), why can't I get real Pho?

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FritterGirl View Post
    I realize that to some, it is antethetic to eat Pho...
    As adept as I am with the English language, what do you mean by
    antethetic?

I'm familiar with antithetic, which means in opposition or in direct contrast.
    Is that what you mean?

uh geez, well my guess would be that she just spelled antithetic wrong.

but yeah, Pho, get it where you can get it, y'know? I don't even care if the providers of the Pho are Vietnamese as long as it's decent quality.

This place is not worth it. The food was below subpar and unsubstantial. I ordered Grill Meat with Vegetables, only the meat did not look nor taste like meat- had a rubber consistency and no flavor.

hmm, not sure about the quality of the other dishes, I've only had the Pho soup, you may be right.

but just an update, I still go there, and the pho is still good! thanks.

Pho is not real hard to make at home. There are recipes on the web, also vietnamese cookbooks in the library. I like the beef balls, except I no longer get them in restaurants because I figure they're made out of floor scrapings. But they are easy to make if you have a food processor.

I'm getting hungry just writing this...

And btw, the correct pronounciation is more like "fuh".

Duckslammer
    in OKC

The trouble with most Asian restaurants is that they cut too many corners with their ingredients. I like Pho Hoa because the menu is specific enough as to what's in the bowl that in most cases, it'd be damn near impossible to cut corners.

Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I like Pho Hoa
    Good stuff.
    Had lunch there today. I tried it a few months ago and I am HOOKED and have been back numerous times. Number P11 add some sprout, lime, kirachi (sp?) sauce and a dash of soy and I couldn't agree more good stuff. The spring rolls there are out of site probably the best peanut sauce I have had anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by dalelakin View Post
    Had lunch there today. I tried it a few months ago and I am HOOKED and have been back numerous times. Number P11 add some sprout, lime, kirachi (sp?) sauce and a dash of soy and I couldn't agree more good stuff. The spring rolls there are out of site probably the best peanut sauce I have had anywhere.
    Totally agree, has been a staple of my diet all winter. P8 or P11 and some spring rolls make for a great meal. Its also a meal that is inexpensive for the amount and quality of the food.

Thread Information