Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best metro burgers picked

Default Best metro burgers picked

Slice magazine's current issue picks 10 of the best burgers in the metro. Check it out: ISSUU - Slice Aug13 by sliceok

Default Re: Best metro burgers picked

I love that magazine and I'm mortally embarrassed that I've only tried one of those burgers.

See Below

Isn't Slice that free tree-recyling AdMag next to the door as you exit various libationaries, restaurants, et.al.?
    The one on the rack next to The OK Gazette and various "real estate" freebees?
    I could never understand how they could afford such pleasing glossiness.
    (Slice . . . not the gazette)

5. Default Re: Best metro burgers picked

I've had 8 of the 10. That looks like a fairly solid lineup.

3 of 10. I should get out more I suppose, or eat Tex Mex and Italian less frequently when I do go out.

I was not impressed with Tucker's. It was little too greasy for me and I usually love a little grease on my burgers. The others look like they are worth checking out.

8. Default Re: Best metro burgers picked

I can say I've been to all 10..... And I personally think Bricktown Burger is better than several on this list.

Quote Originally Posted by MWCGuy View Post
    I was not impressed with Tucker's. It was little too greasy for me and I usually love a little grease on my burgers. The others look like they are worth checking out.
    It's a good list. I absolutely love Tucker's. I've had 6 off the list, but I'd put a Republic Burger over all of the ones I've tried on the list.

10. Default Re: Best metro burgers picked

Been to 9/10. Its a respectable list. Definitely like a Republic burger. I eat at Tucker's about 1-2 times a month and love it each time. Being doing the garage lately because its by my house. Though I've eaten at the Cow Calf Hay downtown recently a few times too (very good).

Quote Originally Posted by athensjohn View Post
    Slice magazine's current issue picks 10 of the best burgers in the metro. Check it out: ISSUU - Slice Aug13 by sliceok
    I notice all of the places on the list have thick patties. Bricktown Burgers and the onion burger places such as Bunny's use a thinner patty. I can't argue with any on the list, although I did not think Tucker's was anything special, but I have only been there once. The Rib Shack on Reno and Council Road across from the old Western Electric plant and the Outlet Shops has good burgers. They are associated with the Rib Shack in Guthrie. Earl's Rib Palace has decent burgers also. I love burgers and even eat a Whataburger for breakfast once in a while. I need to try the Patty Wagon, I have not been there and it looks really good.

Bricktown needs more good burger places that are open at night. Bricktown Burgers is only open M-F during lunch. I grew up with the owners and go there occasionally at lunch. I hang out in Bricktown a lot at night and Sonic, Hooters, McDonalds, and IHOP about the only burger options I can think of.

Bigray in Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrayok View Post
    Bricktown needs more good burger places that are open at night. Bricktown Burgers is only open M-F during lunch. I grew up with the owners and go there occasionally at lunch. I hang out in Bricktown a lot at night and Sonic, Hooters, McDonalds, and IHOP about the only burger options I can think of.

Bigray in Ok
    Bourbon St. Cafe, Bricktown Brewery, Brix, Hooters, Red Pin, Tapwerks, and Toby Keith's serve burgers. They may not be your favorites but finding a burger in Bricktown is not difficult day or night.

13. Default Re: Best metro burgers picked

If "bodacious" means it's too sloppy to pick up with your hands, Slice picked the right 10. If it means "excellent," they didn't taste a McNellie's hamburger. There are some good burgers on their list... but McNellie's makes the best real burger in OKC.

Have had 6 of 10. I think the turkey burger from Republic is a little better than VZDs Gobbler. The firestarter from Irma's is probably my favorite on that list. Crazy to the the OKC institution Johnnie's not apart of the list.

I know this will probably make the natives go mad, but I think onion burgers are terrible. friends raved about Tucker's and I thought it was terrible.

a good No Name patty at Irma's is tough to beat, but I think S&B's does a nice job with their theta burger.

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    I know this will probably make the natives go mad, but I think onion burgers are terrible. friends raved about Tucker's and I thought it was terrible.

a good No Name patty at Irma's is tough to beat, but I think S&B's does a nice job with their theta burger.
    If you want a "real" theta burger, go to Johnnie's. They have the best sauce, although Charcoal Oven's sauce is pretty good, too.

As for onion burgers, don't rule them out until you've at least had one at Johnny's in El Reno (note: different spelling and different restaurant than Johnnie's in OKC). They are my favorite, although Sid's in El Reno is pretty good, too.

Also, you should at least give a shot to Nic's in OKC before you decide onion burgers are not your thing. I don't care much for Tucker's either, so I don't think you should write off onion burgers until you've had some from the masters.

I've had them from Bunny's and Tucker's. I mean, i'll eat them, but they just aren't my fave. I will give those places out in El Reno a shot.

The theta is such a weird concept, but damn I like them everywhere. Never heard of them before I moved here.

I've had them from Bunny's and Tucker's. I mean, i'll eat them, but they just aren't my fave. I will give those places out in El Reno a shot.

The theta is such a weird concept, but damn I like them everywhere. Never heard of them before I moved here.
    The story is that the Theta Burger originated in Norman back in the 30's at the Town Tavern. It was invented to simplify late night deliveries to the Theta sorority house. A cook who worked there took it to the Split-T in OKC

That spawned the phrase "I ate a Theta" on campus.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Bourbon St. Cafe, Bricktown Brewery, Brix, Hooters, Red Pin, Tapwerks, and Toby Keith's serve burgers. They may not be your favorites but finding a burger in Bricktown is not difficult day or night.
    Do Bourbon Street and Red Pin serve regular burgers or just sliders? I like sliders once in a while, but they are not what I am thinking of when I am looking for a good burger. I went to Red Pin once and thought the food was ok, not spectacular. I was the only person eating in the restaurant. I have had a burger at Toby Keith's and thought it was overpriced and mediocre tasting. I do not drink alcohol so I really do not want to have to go to the Brewery, Tapworks, or Brix to get a burger. I have been to the Brewery and Tapworks before, but I have never been to Brix. I may try Brix one of these days.

When I think of a good burger place, I want to go to a place where I do not have to spend ten dollars or more for a burger that is not the specialty of the house. I do not want to have to spend a lot of time waiting in line and dealing with wait staff that are more interested in getting me to buy a beer than serving me food. I wish Bricktown had a late night burger counter type place like Camelia Grill in New Orleans or Burger House and Burger Bar in Dallas. Anther place in Bricktown I did not mention in my previous post that has decent burgers is Earl's Rib Palace. I like burgers. Bricktown needs a good casual, inexpensive burger place that is open late night.

Bigray in Ok

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    If you want a "real" theta burger, go to Johnnie's. They have the best sauce, although Charcoal Oven's sauce is pretty good, too.

As for onion burgers, don't rule them out until you've at least had one at Johnny's in El Reno (note: different spelling and different restaurant than Johnnie's in OKC). They are my favorite, although Sid's in El Reno is pretty good, too.

Also, you should at least give a shot to Nic's in OKC before you decide onion burgers are not your thing. I don't care much for Tucker's either, so I don't think you should write off onion burgers until you've had some from the masters.
    I can see why someone would not like an El Reno style onion burger like Sid's, Robert's, Johnny's, Fat Elvus Diner, Abrahams, or Bunny's serves. They may be an acquired taste for some people. I have found they taste better if you get more than one patty since the places I mentioned tend to use thin patties on their burgers.

Nic does not make his burgers like the El Reno style places do. The El Reno style places cook the onions on the patty while Nic cooks the onions on the grill then puts them on the hamburger. Nic uses a thicker patty and his onion strings are thicker also. George Motz who wrote a book called "Hamburger Nation" and recently had the show Burger Land on the Travel Channel loves El Reno style onion burgers and has visited El Reno on their onion burger day in May. I do not think he has been to Nic's. He needs to try Nic's and write about it in his book.

Bigray in Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrayok View Post
    Do Bourbon Street and Red Pin serve regular burgers or just sliders? I like sliders once in a while, but they are not what I am thinking of when I am looking for a good burger. I went to Red Pin once and thought the food was ok, not spectacular. I was the only person eating in the restaurant. I have had a burger at Toby Keith's and thought it was overpriced and mediocre tasting. I do not drink alcohol so I really do not want to have to go to the Brewery, Tapworks, or Brix to get a burger. I have been to the Brewery and Tapworks before, but I have never been to Brix. I may try Brix one of these days.

When I think of a good burger place, I want to go to a place where I do not have to spend ten dollars or more for a burger that is not the specialty of the house. I do not want to have to spend a lot of time waiting in line and dealing with wait staff that are more interested in getting me to buy a beer than serving me food. I wish Bricktown had a late night burger counter type place like Camelia Grill in New Orleans or Burger House and Burger Bar in Dallas. Anther place in Bricktown I did not mention in my previous post that has decent burgers is Earl's Rib Palace. I like burgers. Bricktown needs a good casual, inexpensive burger place that is open late night.

Bigray in Ok
    Perhaps, but I think maybe most people can find what they are looking for in the way of hamburgers in Bricktown. Both Bourbon St. Café and Red Pin have a variety of full size burgers. I think it's quite possible to buy a burger in a restaurant that serves liquor without being pressured into buying some. I do that quite frequently and it works just fine. It sounds like you are just looking for something very specific.

I've eaten at most of the restaurants mentioned and can tell you that my personal favorite is a bacon cheeseburger at Nic's with onions and jalapenos. There is a total of 17 seats in Nic's but they manage to churn the customers through in fine style without rushing anyone, every day. The meat is very good quality, the bacon is thick and hearty, the buns are even above average, but the thing is the "experience". Nic is a nice guy, his side-kick is nice, they have a system that works....pile of onions simmering on the grill, pile of jalapenos simmering, ground beef patties go here, the bacon goes there, the buns go there, side kick or Nic say "what do you want to drink?" then take your food order then when it is nearly ready ask how you want your burger dressed. By then I have usually slobbered a gallon and feel like I'm starving. Love, love, love me some Nic's.

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    I've eaten at most of the restaurants mentioned and can tell you that my personal favorite is a bacon cheeseburger at Nic's with onions and jalapenos. There is a total of 17 seats in Nic's but they manage to churn the customers through in fine style without rushing anyone, every day. The meat is very good quality, the bacon is thick and hearty, the buns are even above average, but the thing is the "experience". Nic is a nice guy, his side-kick is nice, they have a system that works....pile of onions simmering on the grill, pile of jalapenos simmering, ground beef patties go here, the bacon goes there, the buns go there, side kick or Nic say "what do you want to drink?" then take your food order then when it is nearly ready ask how you want your burger dressed. By then I have usually slobbered a gallon and feel like I'm starving. Love, love, love me some Nic's.
    "Mayonnaise or Mustard?" (Answer) "Cheese and everything?"

25. Default Re: Best metro burgers picked

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    "Mayonnaise or Mustard?" (Answer) "Cheese and everything?"
    For me it's "Mayonnaise cheese and onions?"

Now I only eat there once or twice a month and I know a lot of people go throuigh that place every day but he always remembers what I have for lunch and breakfast.

Thread Information