Widgets Magazine

Thread: Stillwater Regional Airport Marks One Year of Commercial Flights

Default Stillwater Regional Airport Marks One Year of Commercial Flights

Flying high: Stillwater Regional Airport marks one year of commercial flights. http://www.stwnewspress.com/news/loc...2afe38019.html

Stillwater Regional Airport celebrates a year of partnership with American Airlines . http://www.ocolly.com/news/stillwate...436bf94fe.html

Default Re: Stillwater Regional Airport Marks One Year of Commercial Flights

Is a 73% load factor enough to keep the service?

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Is a 73% load factor enough to keep the service?
    Very similar to OKC's, Tulsa's and Lawton's 2016 averages. There is also similar percentage at Manhattan(KS), which IIRC was the model they pitched to airlines that it could work at Stillwater.

They also seemed to feel confident enough to discus efforts to get flights to a second hub.

The people I've spoken to at SWO have said that passenger counts have surpassed original projections and that American Airlines is very happy. They are pulling passengers from Edmond/Guthrie, Enid, Ponca City, Sapulpa and other areas in north central OK. I like flying out of Stillwater because it's a relaxed 45 minute drive from my north Edmond home and the security/boarding process is so dang easy. If they are able to pull off adding a daily flight to Chicago, I'd be ecstatic.

I flew American out of Okc to Dallas on Monday. I wished I remembered about this. I would like to have compaired the price of tickets. I'm 30 min from Will Rodgers and 45 min from Stillwater. On the way back, the aproach took us directly over Stillwater and got to see the airport from the sky. jFirst time in 40 years of flying out of OKC that I remember coming in from the north.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    I flew American out of Okc to Dallas on Monday. I wished I remembered about this. I would like to have compaired the price of tickets. I'm 30 min from Will Rodgers and 45 min from Stillwater. On the way back, the aproach took us directly over Stillwater and got to see the airport from the sky. jFirst time in 40 years of flying out of OKC that I remember coming in from the north.
    Very comparable for the flights I just booked.

OSU from the west side of campus now has direct 4 lane access to the airport entrance, via the recent widening of Western St. It makes little difference from taking the Country Club Rd. and Lakeview route. Maybe in time Lakeview will be 4 laned for two miles from Western to Country Club Rd. for all 4 lane northwest bypass.

Hopefully, from the flights, Stillwater gets more business and industry while OSU gets more students, including successful recruitment of high school sports stars for the athletic programs. It's only a little over 2 miles from the airport to OSU, compared to 24 miles from Will Rogers to OU. OSU-Stillwater currently has 24,150 students.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    including successful recruitment of high school sports stars for the athletic programs. It's only a little over 2 miles from the airport to OSU, compared to 24 miles from Will Rogers to OU. OSU-Stillwater currently has 24,150 students.
    The airport being 22 miles closer won't make any difference..

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    The airport being 22 miles closer won't make any difference..
    5 minutes vs close to 30 minutes makes for a lot of noticeable difference.

I think BG918 was referring to making a difference in recruiting... it won't.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    I think BG918 was referring to making a difference in recruiting... it won't.
    Thinking it'll make a difference going head to head against ou is insane.

Saying it'll help recruiting overall because Stillwater is now easier to get too is absolutely the case.

Saying it'll help recruiting overall because Stillwater is now easier to get too is absolutely the case.
    You are correct.

I hope you'll be proven wrong.

I hope you'll be proven wrong.
    I won't be. An airport won't change the fact ou is a blue blood in football.

For around a third of the US population that time difference can be more than offset by getting a direct flight to OKC.

Plus if they live in an adjoining state, flying is probably not saving them much time or money verses driving to either place.

16. Default Re: Stillwater Regional Airport Marks One Year of Commercial Flights

For those that think Stillwater is going to win recruiting battles against OU because of their 2 regional jet flights a day, I present Kansas State. Does KSU win that many recruiting battles against OU based on its having 5 regional jet flights a day (3 to DFW; 2 or ORD)? The answer is no.

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    For those that think Stillwater is going to win recruiting battles against OU because of their 2 regional jet flights a day, I present Kansas State. Does KSU win that many recruiting battles against OU based on its having 5 regional jet flights a day (3 to DFW; 2 or ORD)? The answer is no.
    Is that only based on your idle assumption? Or did you read a story in the sports section in which an OU recruit, such as one from northern TX, said he was NOT swayed by the airport being closer to OSU?

Is that only based on your idle assumption? Or did you read a story in the sports section in which an OU recruit, such as one from northern TX, said he was NOT swayed by the airport being closer to OSU?
    I don't think the burden of proof is on him. It's on you.

Find me a story that a recruit says he specifically chose OSU over OU because of the airport.

Stillwater Regional Airport using $4.5 million in FAA grants to fund taxiway project. http://www.stwnewspress.com/news/sti...1f48ed4e5.html

Thread Information