Widgets Magazine

Thread: Windsor Hills Shopping Center (The W District)

Default Windsor Hills Shopping Center (The W District)

http://journalrecord.com/2014/09/29/...n-real-estate/

It looks like the Windsor Hills Shopping Center is in the lands of a local group again. That's good to hear...hopefully they will pump some money into the center to couple with the new streetscape that is currently being constructed.

Default Re: Windsor Hills Shopping Center (The W District)

Strengthening a cornerstone: Windsor Hills Shopping Center’s new owners want to be part of district’s revitalization

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record September 29, 20140

OKLAHOMA CITY – The Windsor District on NW 23rd Street in the city’s western corridor has been undergoing changes, including a $13.2 million streetscape upgrade. The Windsor Hills Shopping Center’s new owners said they want to be a part of the revitalization efforts.

The 194,000-square-foot shopping center at 4605 NW 23rd St. was purchased by Square Deal Capital, which manages the investments for Dave and Jean McLaughlin. Dave McLaughlin is a co-founder of Enid’s Advance Food Co., which is now part of AdvancePierre Foods. Square Deal paid $11 million for the center.

The Windsor District spans on NW 23rd from Interstate 44 to Bethany city limits, north and south between NW 20th and NW 26th street, a total area of 3 square miles. District Director Barbie Smalley said she is excited that the center is now locally owned. The leasing will be handled by Newmark Grubb Levy Strange Beffort.

Smalley said she would like to see Christmas decorations return to the center. She has previously heard from residents about how the center was once heavy with holiday décor.

“We’d like to deck it all out,” she said.

The center was once home to BC Clark Jewelers and Hyde Drug. The plaza’s tenants include Dollar Tree; The B & B Theatres Windsor 10; RadioShack; Cato; Goodwill Donation Center; Aaron’s rent-to-own furniture, electronics, and appliances; and soon a T-Mobile cellphone store. A dd’s Discount Store opened Saturday in the center.

Square Deal Chief Financial Officer Grant Soderberg said the company is excited about the center’s potential.

“We view it as a cornerstone of the community,” he said. “We plan to enhance it over the next couple of years to build it into a most significant presence. We want to be a substantial part of the community for years to come.”

Specific property improvement plans are still being evaluated, Soderberg said.

Drew Dozier, senior director at Sperry Van Ness/Land Run Commercial, handled the transaction. He grew up in the area and said the center serves the community well.

“Square Deal wants to make sure it’s not just involved in properties that have a certain cap rate,” Dozier said. “They want to be sure they are contributing to the community where the properties are located.”

Smalley said the center is already contributing, as she has organized community events at the Windsor 10. She said she has already spoken to the Gold Dome Multicultural Society about an international festival at the center.

“I think (the festival) will help us bring in the international flair,” she said.

Other developments in the district include the city starting the second phase of the streetscape project. The second phase will stretch from N. Ann Arbor to N. Peniel avenues on NW 23rd Street. The renovation will include a mill-and-overlay process to smooth the road, new sidewalks and an intersection design. She said district markers should be in place in October.

“We’re the only district with LED (light-emitting diode) lights in our district markers,” she said. “In the end, it’s going to be nice. It’s going to be a nice new area for new development and new ideas. It’s a nice new canvas for someone to paint on.”

A building at 2216 N. Portland Ave. has already received more than a fresh paint coat. It is now home to the Mighty Dog, a hot dog restaurant serving Schwab’s-brand hot dogs and Weber’s Superior Root Beer. Smalley said the district had its parklet on Better Block OKC’s Parking Day at the restaurant and she hopes to host more district events there.

“It’s important to have the events just to allow people to venture on down,” she said. “It just creates awareness that there is a district going on. If they can take the construction and just put it aside, (the district) will be the next big thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Strengthening a cornerstone: Windsor Hills Shopping Center’s new owners want to be part of district’s revitalization

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record September 29, 20140

OKLAHOMA CITY – The Windsor District on NW 23rd Street in the city’s western corridor has been undergoing changes, including a $13.2 million streetscape upgrade. The Windsor Hills Shopping Center’s new owners said they want to be a part of the revitalization efforts.

The 194,000-square-foot shopping center at 4605 NW 23rd St. was purchased by Square Deal Capital, which manages the investments for Dave and Jean McLaughlin. Dave McLaughlin is a co-founder of Enid’s Advance Food Co., which is now part of AdvancePierre Foods. Square Deal paid $11 million for the center.

The Windsor District spans on NW 23rd from Interstate 44 to Bethany city limits, north and south between NW 20th and NW 26th street, a total area of 3 square miles. District Director Barbie Smalley said she is excited that the center is now locally owned. The leasing will be handled by Newmark Grubb Levy Strange Beffort.

Smalley said she would like to see Christmas decorations return to the center. She has previously heard from residents about how the center was once heavy with holiday décor.

“We’d like to deck it all out,” she said.

The center was once home to BC Clark Jewelers and Hyde Drug. The plaza’s tenants include Dollar Tree; The B & B Theatres Windsor 10; RadioShack; Cato; Goodwill Donation Center; Aaron’s rent-to-own furniture, electronics, and appliances; and soon a T-Mobile cellphone store. A dd’s Discount Store opened Saturday in the center.

Square Deal Chief Financial Officer Grant Soderberg said the company is excited about the center’s potential.

“We view it as a cornerstone of the community,” he said. “We plan to enhance it over the next couple of years to build it into a most significant presence. We want to be a substantial part of the community for years to come.”

Specific property improvement plans are still being evaluated, Soderberg said.

Drew Dozier, senior director at Sperry Van Ness/Land Run Commercial, handled the transaction. He grew up in the area and said the center serves the community well.

“Square Deal wants to make sure it’s not just involved in properties that have a certain cap rate,” Dozier said. “They want to be sure they are contributing to the community where the properties are located.”

Smalley said the center is already contributing, as she has organized community events at the Windsor 10. She said she has already spoken to the Gold Dome Multicultural Society about an international festival at the center.

“I think (the festival) will help us bring in the international flair,” she said.

Other developments in the district include the city starting the second phase of the streetscape project. The second phase will stretch from N. Ann Arbor to N. Peniel avenues on NW 23rd Street. The renovation will include a mill-and-overlay process to smooth the road, new sidewalks and an intersection design. She said district markers should be in place in October.

“We’re the only district with LED (light-emitting diode) lights in our district markers,” she said. “In the end, it’s going to be nice. It’s going to be a nice new area for new development and new ideas. It’s a nice new canvas for someone to paint on.”

A building at 2216 N. Portland Ave. has already received more than a fresh paint coat. It is now home to the Mighty Dog, a hot dog restaurant serving Schwab’s-brand hot dogs and Weber’s Superior Root Beer. Smalley said the district had its parklet on Better Block OKC’s Parking Day at the restaurant and she hopes to host more district events there.

“It’s important to have the events just to allow people to venture on down,” she said. “It just creates awareness that there is a district going on. If they can take the construction and just put it aside, (the district) will be the next big thing.”
    All of that is great news for the Windsor Hills area. One thing that jumped out at me at the end was the mention of the hot dog shop with "Weber's Superior Root Beer." Is this really the original Weber's/Coit's formulation? Does anybody know?

Chicken In The Rough Guest

I grew up in this neighborhood. The shopping center was once home to Hyde Drug, Anthony's, Street's, BC Clark, Kimberling's, and one of the biggest TG&Ys I can remember. There was an O'Mealley's Cafeteria, which later became a Furrs, and a number of other eateries. I also fondly remember Henry Higgins Books. This was like a small Barnes & Noble way before there was Barnes & Noble. The shopping center had very elaborate Christmas decorations every year - this was always a highlight for the neighborhood. Times have changed, and the demographics of the area have as well. But I hope the new local ownership can restore a few of these traditions; and perhaps start a few new.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken In The Rough View Post
    I grew up in this neighborhood. The shopping center was once home to Hyde Drug, Anthony's, Street's, BC Clark, Kimberling's, and one of the biggest TG&Ys I can remember. There was an O'Mealley's Cafeteria, which later became a Furrs, and a number of other eateries. I also fondly remember Henry Higgins Books. This was like a small Barnes & Noble way before there was Barnes & Noble. The shopping center had very elaborate Christmas decorations every year - this was always a highlight for the neighborhood. Times have changed, and the demographics of the area have as well. But I hope the new local ownership can restore a few of these traditions; and perhaps start a few new.
    There was a hobby shop in that center as well. I don't remember the name. Do you? I bought a train set there and lots of model cars, airplanes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    There was a hobby shop in that center as well. I don't remember the name. Do you? I bought a train set there and lots of model cars, airplanes, etc.
    I think it was just called "the hobby center" or hobby shop. IDK I may be thinking of the hobby shop that was in shepard mall.

Im really pulling out brain cells but was it something like Schmidts Hobbie?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I know, it's driving me crazy. I bet Pete will know - that was his old stomping grounds.

Mine too but not quite as close as Pete. I Used to buy slot cars there.

Mine too but not quite as close as Pete. I Used to buy slot cars there.
    Sorry, off-topic here, but SO DID I! Did you ever go to the slot car track next to the Comet Skating Club?

It was Schmitt's Hobby Shop.

Article Window

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    It was Schmitt's Hobby Shop.

Article Window
    Yes! Yes! mugofbeer had it, but the spelling went right over my memories. When I saw the spelling in your post (and in the ad) it triggered one of those, "Of COURSE" moments. Thanks my friend!

This is great news for the area! It's been fun watching the streetscape and sidewalk development unfold. The new signals are in at 23rd and Meridian. Such a welcome change. It's also refreshing not to completely destroy your car driving on NW 23rd. The roads there were THE WORST for a long time.

That shopping center gets a lot of activity. There are some real anchors like Gopuram, Radio Shack, and others. It's not going to become a hipster haven anytime soon, but that's just fine. This is a culturally and economically diverse part of the city. Hopefully a couple more quality restaurants and retailers can be added to give this place more life. But I'm optimistic: this center is in a lot better shape than a lot of other aging shopping centers in OKC, and with a Crest Foods and other destination-type retailers, it has a lot to work with.

Also excited to see the Morelo's Mexican grocery store being completely renovated. This Windsor Area Business Group is active and engaged, and they are making an impact with the business owners. Once the streetscaping, lights, neighborhood signage, and sidewalks are complete, there's going to be a lot of incentive for the small businesses to improve their aesthetics.

It's also exciting that in my neighborhood nearby, there is a lot of activity of gutting, renovating and flipping houses. This bodes very well. The prosperity and demand neighborhoods to the east are experiencing with residential real estate is spreading to the west.

It seems they are still using asphalt for the road which sucks. It is better than what it was though.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    This is great news for the area! It's been fun watching the streetscape and sidewalk development unfold. The new signals are in at 23rd and Meridian. Such a welcome change. It's also refreshing not to completely destroy your car driving on NW 23rd. The roads there were THE WORST for a long time.

That shopping center gets a lot of activity. There are some real anchors like Gopuram, Radio Shack, and others. It's not going to become a hipster haven anytime soon, but that's just fine. This is a culturally and economically diverse part of the city. Hopefully a couple more quality restaurants and retailers can be added to give this place more life. But I'm optimistic: this center is in a lot better shape than a lot of other aging shopping centers in OKC, and with a Crest Foods and other destination-type retailers, it has a lot to work with.

Also excited to see the Morelo's Mexican grocery store being completely renovated. This Windsor Area Business Group is active and engaged, and they are making an impact with the business owners. Once the streetscaping, lights, neighborhood signage, and sidewalks are complete, there's going to be a lot of incentive for the small businesses to improve their aesthetics.

It's also exciting that in my neighborhood nearby, there is a lot of activity of gutting, renovating and flipping houses. This bodes very well. The prosperity and demand neighborhoods to the east are experiencing with residential real estate is spreading to the west.
    . . . also live in the area and I'm excited about what is happening. I lived at the Heritage House (13th/Meridian) in the late 60s and remember when WH was "it". . .not looking for that again at all. . but I love my neighborhood and am excited about what is happening in this area.

5 Below coming to Windsor Hills:

Thread Information