Widgets Magazine

Thread: Sam Noble Museum

Default Sam Noble Museum

I don't know if there is another thread on this (couldn't find one that but that is probably operator error). Anyhoo, I finally got around to visiting it, today, and enjoyed myself. There was way too much for me to take in with just breezing through but it was very nice and I'll probably drag my husband down there at some point. It is only five dollars (four if you have a Triple A card - I felt like a cheapskape to use it).

It is summer and a few kids there but not that many and they were well behaved since their parents were bringing them as opposed to hordes on a field trip. Parking was good, it was easy to get to and there is a cafe if you want to take advantage of that. They had an art exhibit of Society of Animal Artists entitled Art and the Animal that was outstanding. Made me want to take up oil painting. I thought that exhibit, standing alone, was worth the cost of entry. http://www.snomnh.ou.edu/exhibits/spex/index.htm

Default Re: Sam Noble Museum

I believe that they still have free admission the first Monday of every month. It is a really great place to bring the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by acumpton View Post
    I believe that they still have free admission the first Monday of every month. It is a really great place to bring the kids.
    It's a worthwhile time for the adults sans the kiddos as well. One anniversary weekend we took in a few museums and art exhibits over three days. Sam Noble was a delightful morning.

They have a "Wolf to Woof" exhibit starting in October that I understand has to do with the evolution of the domestic dog. It looks pretty interesting and the hound lovers among us might want to visit while it is in town. It will be here several months.

I'm not sure if it is still there, but the Mediterranean art and artifacts exhibit was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by BDK View Post
    I'm not sure if it is still there, but the Mediterranean art and artifacts exhibit was fantastic.
    I didn't see that - was it in the Brown exhibit hall if you remember? I thought that was where they have the traveling exhibits.

ETA - here is a link to that exhibit from last year. http://newsok.com/multimedia/video/622729902001 It looks like it was beautiful.

Besides helping build the building, I visit now and then too. Last time was to see "One Hundred Summers," a Native American ledger display.

http://www.snomnh.ou.edu/db2/ethnolo...horn/index.php

Thread Information