Widgets Magazine

Thread: ESPN2's Coverage of OU-Tulsa Horrible

1. Exclamation ESPN2's Coverage of OU-Tulsa Horrible

</begin rant>

Some on here know that I am a Sooners fan. Have been since I was little. However, my comments about the coverage of last night's OU-Tulsa game on ESPN2 come from not being an upset Sooner fan, but an upset sports fan.

I realize that networks have to have "filler" in their broadcasts. I get that. I know that not all games are going to be nailbiters. I get that too. But what I do not get is why in the world the announcers, and subsequently ESPN2 because they ultimately are in charge of the announcers, would go off on a tangent about Notre Dame and their woeful start, during the first/second quarter?!?!

The game was still a 7/14 point game at that point and the announcers (who were absolutely boring) start talking about Notre Dame. During this time, play-by-play of the game is lost. There were several penalties not covered, catches made not covered and Notre Dame graphics on the screen, thus blocking viewing of the game. To make things worse, they brought in Bob Davie (former Notre Dame coach and now ESPN color analyst) to stand with the two announcers and prolong this discussion. Bob is as boring as they get. He also did the OU-Oregon debacle last year and got so many facts wrong it was embarassing. Finally, to top it all off, they go to SEVERAL live shots of Lou Holtz, in studio, to discuss Notre Dame as well.

From what I understand, last week's Friday night game (when Troy beat Okie State..hehehehe) was called by the same crew and the complaints were the same.

It seems that ESPN has chosen to use their Friday night NATIONAL broadcast's as one giant advertisement for the games on Saturday.

It is my hope that people either write or call in to ESPN and express their displeasure with how the game was called.

It is also my hope that OU should have never agreed to play on a Friday and hope they never play another Friday night game again. Friday is for the high school's, in my opinion.

</end rant>

Default Re: ESPN2's Coverage of OU-Tulsa Horrible

totally agreed; i was thinking the exact same thing last night. there was hardly any play-by-play whatsoever in the second half. most of the penalties were overlooked and paired with the fact that the ref's mic wasn't working it wasn't always clear what penalty occurred or which player committed it.

-M

3. Exclamation Re: ESPN2's Coverage of OU-Tulsa Horrible

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    totally agreed; i was thinking the exact same thing last night. there was hardly any play-by-play whatsoever in the second half. most of the penalties were overlooked and paired with the fact that the ref's mic wasn't working it wasn't always clear what penalty occurred or which player committed it.

-M
    I could've actually lived with the "filler" in the second-half. Like I said, I understand the need for it in a blow-out game. For it to occur when it did was absurd.

My only other option was to turn the TV down and listen to the play-by-play with Bob Barry, and I wasn't bound to do that. I like Bob, but when you hear other people in the background telling him what went on, makes me wonder if it's time for a new OU announcer. But that's another thread. LOL

4. Exclamation Re: ESPN2's Coverage of OU-Tulsa Horrible

For those who want to share your frustrations with ESPN, click on the link below:

ESPN - Contact ESPN - Sitetools

You can also call 1-860-766-2000 and ask for customer service. This number is a long distance call to Connecticut, home of ESPN.

I am glad it was not just me. I am not a big sports fan but I do like to watch our home town team play now and then. The whole game they talked about Notre Dame and how bad they are. Several times I wanted to yell at the TV and tell these guys they were at a game. There were several times I would see a yellow flag fly then ESPN2 would go to Lou Holtz to talk about Notre Dame leaving us wondering who the penalty was against. It was not a Notre Dame game and had nothing to do with them but that is all they talked about.

At one point, at half time they were showing another game and got so excited it was clear in their voice. When our game came back on, it was back to Notre Dame. I am glad that other people noticed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    It is also my hope that OU should have never agreed to play on a Friday and hope they never play another Friday night game again. Friday is for the high school's, in my opinion.

Agreed!!

Thank goodness this rant has been started. I was ready to drive to Tulsa and barge my way into that broadcast booth to tell those knuckle-dragging buffoons to shut the #*$& up about Notre Dame and stick to the game at hand.

My husband and I couldn't believe our eyes, or ears, when there were so many long stretches and cut-aways of those ding idiots NOT calling the came they were hired to call. It was the WORST broadcast job I think either of us had ever seen.

No offense to N.D. fans everywhere, but their time has come. I would rather have heard about other schools, such as SC, LSU and/or Florida, or even some of the top competition than the abysmal state of ND football. I think they rambled on for nearly 15 minutes of air time (at least), talking over valid plays, and penalties, which were not shown, nor described.

It was a complete disaster.

8. Default Re: ESPN2's Coverage of OU-Tulsa Horrible

NewsOK: Tubbs' shot: Stick to game plan<br/><span class='hl2'>Ex-OU coach objects when Davie, Holtz talk Irish football</span>

By John Rohde
    Staff Writer

TULSA — Lamar athletic director and former Oklahoma men's basketball coach Billy Tubbs, who was watching Friday night's OU-Tulsa football game on ESPN2 at his home in Beaumont, Texas, called midway through the second quarter and demanded action.

"Are you in the pressbox?” Tubbs asked. "Go up there and kick Bob Davie's (butt) at halftime. And if you don't have time, then I'll go up there and do it myself.”

One of Tubbs' biggest pet peeves is when television announcers discuss topics not directly associated with the game they're covering.

Tubbs was upset Davie, a former Notre Dame coach, was talking about the Fighting Irish with fellow former Irish coach Lou Holtz, who was back in studio.

ESPN/ABC are always disrespectful of OU. I hate watching an OU game on either network. FSN is 100x better. During OU's romp of North Texas, FSN followed the game the entire time.

I just love Brent "Bandwagon" Musburger on ABC. The next time you watch one his sportscasts pay close attention. He always routes for the winning team scutinizes the losing team. I have seen that man switch sides several times in one game.

Thread Information