Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Friday 2014

Default Black Friday 2014

The competition is on to see who'll open earlier.

JC Penney to open at 5 p.m. on Thanksgiving | KFOR.com

Default Re: Black Friday 2014

Stores use a lot of scams to get folks in... Big screens for $400 while supplies last and they only have 1.

4. Default Re: Black Friday 2014

I need a fridge this year for the new house.

I just hate the whole black friday deal so I might just buy online and take those savings.

I wonder why they don't just stay open 24/7 from Halloween through Jan. 2 . . .

6. Default Re: Black Friday 2014

You mean Black Thursday?

Black Wednesday if you're in the Airline Industry.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    You mean Black Thursday?
    I remember a Black Thursday once. Was years before Mama let Pops near the stove again.
    Pops had many skills and was a very bright man, and he could handle an outdoor grill just fine.
    But indoor cooking ... not in his skill set Not one little bit.

9. Default Re: Black Friday 2014

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I need a fridge this year for the new house.

I just hate the whole black friday deal so I might just buy online and take those savings.
    Hahn appliance is having a black friday sale all of November. Might find a good deal before the madness begins.

10. Default Re: Black Friday 2014

This why for years now we go out of town (skiing) for Thanksgiving. Just not into all the Black Friday hype. I've never gotten a deal I couldn't have gotten at a later date and without the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    This why for years now we go out of town (skiing) for Thanksgiving. Just not into all the Black Friday hype. I've never gotten a deal I couldn't have gotten at a later date and without the hassle.
    Interesting. I'm always in town on that day and manage to avoid the manic shoppers quite easily.

12. Default Re: Black Friday 2014

I'll admit I am a big Black Friday shopper, but mostly just online now. Love this site: Black Friday 2014 | Black Friday Ads | Black Friday Deals | BFAds.net

Usually able to get the "door buster" or "early bird" deals on the store websites instead of having to go stand in line. Also Amazon is fantastic with the lightning deals every years (they are already going on) and get some really good deals through them. Pair it with my Prime account and never have to worry about shipping.

13. Default Re: Black Friday 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Interesting. I'm always in town on that day and manage to avoid the manic shoppers quite easily.
    Never said I couldn't avoid the manic shoppers. I said I'm not into the Black Friday hype. No need to be in town to try and find deals or avoid them. Some people plan weeks in advance for shopping that day - I just don't get it.

I value my time. When I do choose to fritter some away just to do so, it is on doing things I enjoy. Scoring a door buster sale price at 3:12 am is not on the things I enjoy list.

For those of you who find BF shopping better than left over gravy on a turkey clad biscuit, knock yourself out. But hey, do try to avoid getting knocked about. You can and will be up against some folk who are capable of becoming downright scary and brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I value my time. When I do choose to fritter some away just to do so, it is on doing things I enjoy. Scoring a door buster sale price at 3:12 am is not on the things I enjoy list.

For those of you who find BF shopping better than left over gravy on a turkey clad biscuit, knock yourself out. But hey, do try to avoid getting knocked about. You can and will be up against some folk who are capable of becoming downright scary and brutal.
    Why I recommend carrying a stun gun

Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    Why I recommend carrying a stun gun
    Do you suppose any retailers will have extra good deals on those if one shows up at their place of business at, say . . . 2:00 pm Thanksgiving afternoon?

Never said I couldn't avoid the manic shoppers. I said I'm not into the Black Friday hype. No need to be in town to try and find deals or avoid them. Some people plan weeks in advance for shopping that day - I just don't get it.
    there are deals I've seen you can't get any other time. Saw a 65'' Samsung advertised at Walmart for like $250 a year or so ago. I couldn't believe it. I'm sure they only had one or two, but damn. Where else are going to even touch that.

I can't disagree about the crazy shoppers and I'm not one of them. I somehow suspect, however, that you might still be going on your trip even if there wasn't a Black Friday.

19. Default Re: Black Friday 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I can't disagree about the crazy shoppers and I'm not one of them. I somehow suspect, however, that you might still be going on your trip even if there wasn't a Black Friday.
    Probably... even if you remove 'Black Friday from the equation, you still have all the relatives that somehow always expected us to be the one's who spent our holiday traveling from this relatives house to this relatives house...... Its insane.

Plus, I'm a fair weather skier. I love to just throw on a light jacket and ski and then sit at the base lodge outside in a long sleeve t-shirt and jeans and eat and drink. Beginning an end of the season is about the only time you can do that.

20. Default Re: Black Friday 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    there are deals I've seen you can't get any other time. Saw a 65'' Samsung advertised at Walmart for like $250 a year or so ago. I couldn't believe it. I'm sure they only had one or two, but damn. Where else are going to even touch that.

A Walmart 65" TV marked that low is almost guaranteed to be a bare bones 60Hz virtually none in stock outdated paperweight. Who in their right mind fights the Walmart crowd to buy 'stuff'?

I'm frugal - almost to a fault - but I draw the line at joining the throngs that simply remind everyone else how out of touch and primitive much of society really is. I've gone to Lowes and Home Depot once or twice to get a Shop Vac or latter I really needed. But there were no crowds when I'd go.

Give me an excellent returned or 'last one' marked down item at Sam's or a quality Pawn Shop deal any day though.

A Walmart 65" TV marked that low is almost guaranteed to be a bare bones 60Hz virtually none in stock outdated paperweight. Who in their right mind fights the Walmart crowd to buy 'stuff'?

I'm frugal - almost to a fault - but I draw the line at joining the throngs that simply remind everyone else how out of touch and primitive much of society really is. I've gone to Lowes and Home Depot once or twice to get a Shop Vac or latter I really needed. But there were no crowds when I'd go.

Give me an excellent returned or 'last one' marked down item at Sam's or a quality Pawn Shop deal any day though.
    I can't argue with you there, I'm just saying that was a hella good deal for quite a bit of people and I doubt they have them that cheap during other times of the year.

I don't participate in Black Friday though. I'm sure most of these 'deals' you can get or get close to other days. I've even heard cyber Monday has better deals, but I don't like buying tech on the Internet unless I'm super familiar with the actual product.

That does it. I'm staying home... again.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    That does it. I'm staying home... again.
    I won't be home, per se, but I won't be shopping, that's for sure. Good on you.

Every "holiday" needs a song. Here's one I wrote a couple of years ago.
    (anyone know Bing Crosby's phone number? how about Al Yankovic?)

I'm Dreaming of a Black Thursday

(Introduction)
    I remember Thanksgivings of childhood
    I recall family dinners and time
    Together around the old table
    With warmth and good feelings sublime.

There were stories about the old pilgrims
    And Squanto and Indian guides
    There was turkey and taters and stuffing
    And football on TV besides . . .

I'm dreaming of a Black Thursday
    With phony bargains all around