You know how we all get used to hearing things and it doesn't mean much to us. People from Iowa that I know got the biggest kick driving down to southern Oklahoma and passing through a town called "Pauls Valley." It sounds normal to us, but it was funny to them. They asked if there was a "Bill's Mountain" nearby. Just an example. Which brings me to.......

We've heard, "Will Rogers World Airport" all of our lives and think nothing of it. I've been traveling recently and was flying into Oklahoma City when a businessman said, "You know, every time I fly into Oklahoma City I am mortified that they would name an airport - of all things - after a person who died in a plane crash!" The lady on the aisle across from us heard him and agreed. The businessman (from Chicago) said, "Why not Oklahoma City International?" I thought about it.....hmm.....OKCI.....maybe they have a point. I didn't go on to mention that our general aviation airport is named after Wiley Post (died in the same plane crash as Rogers). But that makes sense given that Post is known for his aviation history.

The man said you could build the biggest statue of a man in the world and Will Rogers would deserve it - but an airport? He was really put off. I wonder how often people that know their history are bothered by our "Will Rogers World Airport?"

It's one of those things that I had never given much thought to. But, in these image conscious days for our city as it grows, what do you think of Will Rogers name being attached to our airport? Are there better ways to honor him? Would OKCI - or something else entirely - be better? What do you think?

------------------------