Widgets Magazine

Thread: Uptown Plaza

1. Default Uptown Plaza

I've always been facinated with Urban Renewal and WP Bill Atkinson. Well, another Atkinson is at it again.

We've all seen the Beautiful Uptown Plaza and Oklahoma Journal Record Building on Key. After seeing some construction on the facade of another building over there, I shot an email over to Joseph Atkinson of North Star and it seems like that's them too. In a very short reply, they will be doing all the buildings over in that direction. I can't wait to see a newer improved area over there.

Now to only clear out the housing along 15th and turn it into a REAL upscale shopping area. Not like the business of Air Deport's '70's/'80's Retroness, or the cheap attempt at a town center on 29th.

If Joseph Atkinson is really related to Bill Atkinson, I wish him all the best in this endeavor. I'd like to see what a REAL attempt at doing something right the first time will look like. If it's anything like the Uptown Plaza, I can't wait.

And Yes, I am saying that our Town Center is cheap. Just looking at the roads, parking lots, and design. It's all cheap. Not to mention not that well thought out.

2. Default Re: Uptown Plaza

I would have much rather seen the original "downtown" kept.

3. Default Re: Uptown Plaza

If you go to Northstars site, at least they used to, have the 3 phases of Uptown with their renderings. Phase 2 was supposed to be the part they are working on now where Evelyn's is and then Phase 3 was where Michael's is. I've been confused why they were doing the more vacant buildings first....seems like it's short changing the current tenants.

They took a different approach with phase 2 though...they didn't strip out nearly as much building as they did with Phase1. Basically it looks like they are just covering what's there. Slap some lipstick on the pig. LOL. I just hope they don't save a buck somewhere and make the phases not match. Granted the front of phase 1 had so many different facades on it with that bar and the rental places, it probably saved money just tossing it....but it almost seemed silly to tear out everything but the roof.

Default Re: Uptown Plaza

Now if only the could put some new tenants in the empty spots. Does anyone know if they have anything going in them?

5. Default Re: Uptown Plaza

Well the old tenants are still pretty full on the Key Blvd side, but those front two slots....they make the whole place look empty....and I don't think there is ANYTHING in the Oklahoma Journal.

I did hear at one time about some pie place based out of Harrah or Choctaw or something that was supposed to go in on the SW corner suite....but that obviously never happened, and I don't know why. It was some restaurant/pie place that was supposed to have good food but I don't know the name. That area could use a pharmacy though...something local. I miss the grocery store on the west building...not so much for me, but all the elderyly people in the area went there and a lot of them would walk because it was so close...they could get exercise at the same time. And a pharmacy right there too, it would be great for them again.

I could easily see the Journal turning into profressional offices like Lawyers/Title Co's. It looks like a really nice building on the outside now. Curious about the inside.

Oh man! You hit it right on the head! The Town Center that 95% occuppied is cheap compared to the flourishing Uptown Plaza with it's loan tenant and same old crappy parking lot.

Uptown Plaza

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've always been facinated with Urban Renewal and WP Bill Atkinson. Well, another Atkinson is at it again.

We've all seen the Beautiful Uptown Plaza and Oklahoma Journal Record Building on Key. After seeing some construction on the facade of another building over there, I shot an email over to Joseph Atkinson of North Star and it seems like that's them too. In a very short reply, they will be doing all the buildings over in that direction. I can't wait to see a newer improved area over there.

Now to only clear out the housing along 15th and turn it into a REAL upscale shopping area. Not like the business of Air Deport's '70's/'80's Retroness, or the cheap attempt at a town center on 29th.

If Joseph Atkinson is really related to Bill Atkinson, I wish him all the best in this endeavor. I'd like to see what a REAL attempt at doing something right the first time will look like. If it's anything like the Uptown Plaza, I can't wait.

And Yes, I am saying that our Town Center is cheap. Just looking at the roads, parking lots, and design. It's all cheap. Not to mention not that well thought out

7. Default Re: Uptown Plaza

Id take Town Center any day too shoemaster.

Now I will say at least they did redo the whole parking lot for the phase 2 building and part of it for the phase 1. Now they just need to include that with phase 3's stuff.

8. Default Re: Uptown Plaza

ooo sarcasm. I get it.

I'm talking quality. If you've ever really gotten out of your car and walked to look at the building quality, the Town Center, is cheap. It lacks a community feel. Now the actual center to the entire place, yeah, it has an attempt at looking nice, but still lacks a feeling of genuine quality. To some who have never actually seen "quality" (nor do I say i'm an expert), this place looks cheap. From landscaping to layout. It seems to lack any forethought in planning. The best I can compare to this, the Pinnacle Hills Promenade in Rogers, AR. [ Cubellis Dougherty > Portfolio > Completed Portfolio > Lifestyle Centers > Pinnacle Hills Promenade ]

In my complete and honest opinion, the town center is a failed attempt at providing a lifestyle center for Midwest City. It's looks like 3 parts of different "styles" of retail developments. You have the line of big box stores, a smaller, off centered lifestyle center type promenade, and what seems to be a reenactment of a small city downtown.

Now, I do believe the Uptown Plaza, though lacking what appears to be, only 4 tenants, Just appeals to be not just another, out of the box shopping center. Lots of cookie cutter buildings get built, just look at new construction on douglas, south of 15th street, or pretty much any strip malls. Boring, lacking style, and lacking originality. They all look like another run of the mill place.

I won't apologize for wanting something a little more that sits our city apart from others. It feels like Midwest City leadership is just looking for quick fixes to spruce of the city. We do have a few decent people building great looking areas. For example, the Cherry Center and Crest, the new construction on Reno and Post, the retirement center at Adair and Air Depot, the hospitality district (ie Reed Center), Woodlands Office Park, and many more. I can't wait to see the milano done.

What I do hate seeing, is the First State Bank on Douglas, the stuco strip mall on the east side of air depot just south of 15th, the cookie cutter strip of Kenwood Plaza or even north of that, the building that houses Curves, Uncommon Grounds, and a dry cleaners. We can even add many more to that list. I dislike the fact that some business people are in it for the buck and not hometown pride.

9. Default Re: Uptown Plaza

Well Town Center is one of those weird places that the city has the site plan, and then the developers really get to decide the look...to some extent. I'm not making comparisons at all, but it's the same world C2S is going to be in. The city lays out the site plans (which were available online with some tenants shown for at least a year before construction started) and then each tenant that comes in gets input with Sooner Investments and the city on what the place will look like. IE Best Buy....they want it to look like a Best Buy, but the city wants it to blend with the other buildings...it's a compromise.

You have to think about how little there was here before...the lack of precedent on buildings. It really wasn't until Town Center was announced that anyone around MWC did work on their strip centers. I was so glad to see that everyone started to do any work at all on their strip malls. We could still see the same crap we had before, but at least there has been improvement.

I know not everyone is happy with Town Center, but I love it. Remember it's not done yet...there are a lot of lots still open. I prefer the less confied shopping atmostphere where you have to walk (get off your lazy butts and walk please...don't drive from Target to Kolh's). We have things in MWC we would NEVER have had if it weren't for that place.

I agree that many strip centers leave much to be desired on their aesthetics. But at least we dont' look like those north of 10th...OMG. We are lucky to have some local investors like the Atkinson's that honestly are here to help the city...and dare say the Harroz family. Folks committed to improving MWC. But we're also stuck with the average joe builder as well. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Ok. Maybe they could have done a few things differently at the town center. But how does Uptown stand apart from all the other development? No buildings were leveled. They just stuck a new front up. Not sure if the roof was redone. If not, the age of those buildings will eventually become an issue.

I agree with bombermwc - TC is better than what we had and the walking is good.

It does seem to me, however, that there were more sidewalks originally platted and maybe even a walking trail? Or did I dream that as wishful thinking?

When Uptown was in its heyday, I shopped there often and even worked there at the Frederick's of Hollywood before I moved to the Crossroads store. They did do some structural improvements on the Journal Bldg, but nothing but facade eleswhere. Some of those spaces were a bit dicey in the 70's. I can't blame any prospective tenants from shying away - I'm sure the rent was jacked to pay for that nice extra plywood and paint.

Quote Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post
    ooo sarcasm. I get it.

I'm talking quality. If you've ever really gotten out of your car and walked to look at the building quality, the Town Center, is cheap. It lacks a community feel. Now the actual center to the entire place, yeah, it has an attempt at looking nice, but still lacks a feeling of genuine quality. To some who have never actually seen "quality" (nor do I say i'm an expert), this place looks cheap. From landscaping to layout. It seems to lack any forethought in planning. The best I can compare to this, the Pinnacle Hills Promenade in Rogers, AR. [ Cubellis Dougherty > Portfolio > Completed Portfolio > Lifestyle Centers > Pinnacle Hills Promenade ]

In my complete and honest opinion, the town center is a failed attempt at providing a lifestyle center for Midwest City. It's looks like 3 parts of different "styles" of retail developments. You have the line of big box stores, a smaller, off centered lifestyle center type promenade, and what seems to be a reenactment of a small city downtown.

Now, I do believe the Uptown Plaza, though lacking what appears to be, only 4 tenants, Just appeals to be not just another, out of the box shopping center. Lots of cookie cutter buildings get built, just look at new construction on douglas, south of 15th street, or pretty much any strip malls. Boring, lacking style, and lacking originality. They all look like another run of the mill place.

I won't apologize for wanting something a little more that sits our city apart from others. It feels like Midwest City leadership is just looking for quick fixes to spruce of the city. We do have a few decent people building great looking areas. For example, the Cherry Center and Crest, the new construction on Reno and Post, the retirement center at Adair and Air Depot, the hospitality district (ie Reed Center), Woodlands Office Park, and many more. I can't wait to see the milano done.

What I do hate seeing, is the First State Bank on Douglas, the stuco strip mall on the east side of air depot just south of 15th, the cookie cutter strip of Kenwood Plaza or even north of that, the building that houses Curves, Uncommon Grounds, and a dry cleaners. We can even add many more to that list. I dislike the fact that some business people are in it for the buck and not hometown pride.
    FYI - The First State Bank is a temp building, they will be constructing a permanent building behind the current location. I believe Clark Const may already have a trailer up there.

13. Default Re: Uptown Plaza

Yeah and it's been "temporary" for months and months. That whole Sonic went in months after the trailer got there.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Yeah and it's been "temporary" for months and months. That whole Sonic went in months after the trailer got there.
    OK. But lets compare apples to apples.

A start up bank made of mostly local business people or a large fast food corp. Those aren't very similar.

15. Default Re: Uptown Plaza

No, but I don't think a trailer should have ever been allowed to be put in to begin with. I didn't like it when the other bank did it either...it looks cheap and crappy. Who wants to do their banking at a trailer anyway?

16. Default Re: Uptown Plaza

I will say that midwest city is on the up and up from when I was a kid, but I want them to do it correctly and fashionably. I hate cheap and tacky.

Well the old tenants are still pretty full on the Key Blvd side, but those front two slots....they make the whole place look empty....and I don't think there is ANYTHING in the Oklahoma Journal.

I did hear at one time about some pie place based out of Harrah or Choctaw or something that was supposed to go in on the SW corner suite....but that obviously never happened, and I don't know why. It was some restaurant/pie place that was supposed to have good food but I don't know the name. That area could use a pharmacy though...something local. I miss the grocery store on the west building...not so much for me, but all the elderyly people in the area went there and a lot of them would walk because it was so close...they could get exercise at the same time. And a pharmacy right there too, it would be great for them again.

I could easily see the Journal turning into profressional offices like Lawyers/Title Co's. It looks like a really nice building on the outside now. Curious about the inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post

And Yes, I am saying that our Town Center is cheap. Just looking at the roads, parking lots, and design. It's all cheap. Not to mention not that well thought out.
    Good Morning!! That restaurant pie place is us. It is called Lori's Checkerboard Cafe and Bakery from Harrah. Joe's location did not work out for us. We are now going to be located at Air Depot and Reno next to Ofiice Depot. Things just take time to develop but we should be opening in late November. The bakery should be open before Thanksgiving. Joe did a fantastic job in that area. His location was just too large for us. Who knows maybe one day.

Quote Originally Posted by breadlady2007 View Post
    Good Morning!! That restaurant pie place is us. It is called Lori's Checkerboard Cafe and Bakery from Harrah. Joe's location did not work out for us. We are now going to be located at Air Depot and Reno next to Ofiice Depot. Things just take time to develop but we should be opening in late November. The bakery should be open before Thanksgiving. Joe did a fantastic job in that area. His location was just too large for us. Who knows maybe one day.

Breadlady - looking forward to your opening! Other than a bookstore, I think a bakery is the next needed MWC business!

Eclairs? Please say you'll have them!

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri101 View Post
    Breadlady - looking forward to your opening! Other than a bookstore, I think a bakery is the next needed MWC business!

Eclairs? Please say you'll have them!
    Thank You lauri101. We are excited! Eclairs are my favorite too, I don't make them at this time but all things are possible. We are leaving the cake decorating to Sam's. The restaurant is great as well. We have been on Discover Oklahoma 2 times and in all the papers. I was selected by the food editor of the Daily Oklahoman plus 3 others for their skill in cinnamon rolls. We got the privilege to judge the cinnamon roll contest at the state fair, that was so fun. My late husband and I opened the Harrah Location 13 years ago. He was tragically killed 6 years ago. We are carrying on his legacy. He would be so proud/excited of this move.
    The Sun - For Love of Her Husband
    This is an article written almost over 2 years ago about "The Checkerboard" and about my journey. I l have the Harrah location up for sale, it is time to start a new chapter I will miss Harrah so much. Looking forward to meeting everyone!! Have a great great Day!!

I can't wait for a good bakery in MWC! I hate driving to the South Side for a good sweet treat!

21. Default Re: Uptown Plaza

YAY, I'm not crazy...the place really did exist. And thanks for finally reminding me the name. As soon as I saw it, I remembered hearing that! I can't wait for that to open!!!

Quote Originally Posted by masonsmomma View Post
    I can't wait for a good bakery in MWC! I hate driving to the South Side for a good sweet treat!
    Thank you for taking time to post your excitement. It is very encouraging. Please know that we have a restaurant as well. At one time we had been voted one of the top 5 in Chicken Fried Steaks. Funny as my late husband (from NJ) never grew up with that. I did though, I had to teach him how to cook green beans with bacon and onions. He was also a graduate of Johnson and Wales University Culinary Division in Rhode Island. We came back to Oklahoma and within 6 months he was The executive chef at the Waterford Hotel back in its hey day. So he had to really change his style and it paid off. I describe our restaurant as pure comfort food. All made from scratch.

Discover Oklahoma really put us on the map and they aired our restaurant twice. I am carrying on his legacy to MWC I know he would be proud. Tom lost his life while riding his bicycle in Harrah just 6 days shy of his 42 b-day, that was 6 years ago. The MWC Sun was amazing in the coverage of the funeral and after in promoting me and encouraging me to go on. Thank you!!

I am very hands on and you will see me all the time, please introduce yourself. I look forward to meeting everyone. I am nervous going from a very small place to a much larger place. Please be forgiving at the beginning as we find our way. I don't have Tom to help train everyone, so it all comes from me in all area of the restaurant and bakery. A labor of love knowing that a piece of Tom lives on.

I will keep you posted on here as to when we open. Everyone have a really great great day!!!

Lori

YAY, I'm not crazy...the place really did exist. And thanks for finally reminding me the name. As soon as I saw it, I remembered hearing that! I can't wait for that to open!!!
    No Bomber you aren't crazy......well what really defines crazy?? Because I sure can be. I love to have fun and really develop relationships with our guests. I can be silly at times. Thank you as well for your excitement. We are working hard to get it open. MWC has been wonderful to work with on this endeavor. In my spare time LOL I am a wish granter for the Make A Wish Foundation, my wish kids and their families are very important to us. So I do get distracted at times with that. Very rewarding that is for sure.

Looking forward to meeting all of you. Have a great great day Bombermwc!!!

24. Default Re: Uptown Plaza

I can't wait. I'm glad things are finally finding a place here in midwest city. I was happy to get a Best Buy so I didn't have to drive all the way out to the Crossroads area, I'm happy about actually having things locally, so the tax dollars stay here, and I don't have to waste gas money going more than 7 miles out of my way to get what I need. Not to mention saving time and getting to see our city progress.

With my restaurant and bakery coming soon. I wonder if tan and tone will offer specials for my guests?? LOL I know I joined a few weeks ago. It can be good for everyone. (grin)

Thread Information