Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lotus in Bricktown closed

Patrick Guest

Default Lotus in Bricktown closed

Well, downtownguy predicted right! Lotus is history! Unfortunately, the sales news isn't good for Bricktown, at least for this merchant.

-------------
    "Bricktown eatery falls after trying battle: Vendor lawsuit spurs closing
    by Heidi R. Centrella
    The Journal Record
    1/11/2005

Staff and owners of Lotus Steaks Sushi and Seafood served their last supper Monday. Bill Tackett, Lotus co-owner, said the two-year-old restaurant closed after Arvest Bank decided not to hold the note.
    The restaurant has experienced a 24 percent growth rate over this time last year. Still, Tackett said, they never hit their target sales for this market.

Tackett said his equipment vendor, to whom he owed a debt, changed hands. The new vendor, unaware of the repayment plan Tackett had with the original vendor, sued Lotus owners and their banks.

"They tried to negotiate with us some, but as a group of owners, we were unwilling to go the way that they wanted originally," Tackett said. "And then they sued."

Around the same time, Arvest Bank acquired the equipment note. Bank officials then decided not to hold the note, which resulted in Lotus closing its doors.

"We (Tackett and co-owner Kevin Crysler) had our whole lives in the restaurant - emotionally, financially, knowledge-wise, everything," Tackett said. "It was an unfortunate situation.

"They have their standard of performance, and I guess we didn't meet up to that expectation," he said. "As I said, we've never missed a payment - ever, ever."

Arvest Vice President and Sales Manager Becky Franklin said privacy issues would not allow her to comment on a customer's business.

Tackett said he and Crysler have made every attempt to place their 45 employees with other restaurateurs. He said the reason the restaurant stayed open an extra week was because all five of the owners wanted to make sure that all of the employees were paid.

"That's the bottom line," he said. "They're my family. I raised them. All five partners were insistent that our people were taken care of. That shows the character of the men who put this together.

"To the patrons, Kevin and I want them to know that we have so deeply appreciated the opportunity to have them in our home," Tackett said. "This is our house, our home."

Default Re: Lotus in Bricktown closed

Sad. Really sad. This was a great restaurant.

They had wonderful steaks and sushi. I think the sushi was what killed them though. So many Oklahomans are afraid of the stuff for some reason.

4. Default Re: Lotus in Bricktown closed

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner
    They had wonderful steaks and sushi. I think the sushi was what killed them though. So many Oklahomans are afraid of the stuff for some reason.
    Affraid? I think not. Try the fact it is raw fish. YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Floating_adrift Guest

I'm all about trying new things, and I tried really hard to like sushi. I've been to sushi restaurants a dozen times or so trying to aquire the taste, but I guess I just never 'got it'. It just doesn't have any flavor to me. For the money, I'd much rather have Steak Gorgonzola or something...

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson
    Affraid? I think not. Try the fact it is raw fish. YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I guess age and experience don't equate to an open mind. I could understand someone trying it an not liking it (like Floating Adrift), but not liking it 'just because'?

Actually, a lot of sushi just consists of vegetables and rice wrapped in seaweed, like California rolls. Often, the fish will be cooked, for example, you'll never see raw shrimp on a sushi roll but when it's not, you can rest assured, it's safe.

The taste of sushi is what I'd best describe as very different from any western cuisine. Probably more different than anything I've had (and I've had a lot). The flavors are new and unfamiliar. I guess new and unfamiliar is something that Oklahomans don't get much of.

7. Default Re: Lotus in Bricktown closed

I guess age and experience don't equate to an open mind. I could understand someone trying it an not liking it (like Floating Adrift), but not liking it 'just because'?

Actually, a lot of sushi just consists of vegetables and rice wrapped in seaweed, like California rolls. Often, the fish will be cooked, for example, you'll never see raw shrimp on a sushi roll but when it's not, you can rest assured, it's safe.

The taste of sushi is what I'd best describe as very different from any western cuisine. Probably more different than anything I've had (and I've had a lot). The flavors are new and unfamiliar. I guess new and unfamiliar is something that Oklahomans don't get much of.
    "Just because?" That is not a reason. That is hiding the truth. PErsonally, I will NOT eat sushi because I can not stomach the thought of eating raw fish. It may have other things, however, it is still raw fish.

"Just because?" That is not a reason. That is hiding the truth. PErsonally, I will NOT eat sushi because I can not stomach the thought of eating raw fish. It may have other things, however, it is still raw fish.
    Actually, truth be told, "Sushi" does not ever contain raw fish. If it did, it would be called "Sashimi".

Go to a sushi bar sometime, you'll quickly note that there are plenty of dishes that don't involve raw fish. It's a common misconception though.

So literally speaking, if you don't like sushi because it contains raw fish, it's like not liking tea because it's coffee. In other words, "Just because".

Floating_adrift Guest

I always get Sushi and Sashimi twisted - it's the raw fish I couldn't develop a taste for. It wasn't that I didn't like it, it just didn't have any flavor. Except Sea Urchin and Salmon Roe, both of which made me kinda wanna spit it back out.

So I guess it's the Sashimi I don't care for. I dig california rolls and stuff. And the wasabi feels like it opens a hole in my head everytime I eat it, but for some reason I keep going back for more!

Quote Originally Posted by Floating_adrift
    I always get Sushi and Sashimi twisted - it's the raw fish I couldn't develop a taste for. It wasn't that I didn't like it, it just didn't have any flavor. Except Sea Urchin and Salmon Roe, both of which made me kinda wanna spit it back out.

So I guess it's the Sashimi I don't care for. I dig california rolls and stuff. And the wasabi feels like it opens a hole in my head everytime I eat it, but for some reason I keep going back for more!
    Wasabi is great. I also like the lotus petals.

Sushi Neko had better food in my opinion anyhow. I haven't been to Musashi's yet, but I hear they're more of a steakhouse anyhow.

I can tell you that the Lotus had excellent steaks though.

swake Guest

I don’t think you can say that Sushi is not popular in Oklahoma, it’s very popular here in Tulsa. In the Raw on Brookside is always packed, and they have now opened a second location in south Tulsa. Tsunami, Tulsa’s downtown sushi place just expanded and is now also opening a south Tulsa location. Fuji near Woodland Hills is the best in town in my opinion and there are others. You can also get sushi at many of the nicer grocery stores. Most of the sushi here is not raw, the fish is usually pickled or cooked, since we are so far from the coasts but it’s still good.

12. Default Re: Lotus in Bricktown closed

I love sushi. It's too bad Lotus in Bricktown had to close. Whether or not sushi is popular in Oklahoma City, Tulsa, or the state is not the issue. Just look at the other sushi bars around Oklahoma City. They have been here for years. And... sushi is also available in Oklahoma City grocery stores. Don't give me that "it's Oklahoma" dance again. The ploy is getting old.

If you pay close attention to the article, it has nothing to do with bad sales. It has more to do with bad decisions made on behalf of the vendors and a bank who decided that a 24 percent sales growth over the previous year was not good enough. I don't like Arvest Bank anyway.

13. Default Re: Lotus in Bricktown closed

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse
    I love sushi. It's too bad Lotus in Bricktown had to close. Whether or not sushi is popular in Oklahoma City, Tulsa, or the state is not the issue. Just look at the other sushi bars around Oklahoma City. They have been here for years. And... sushi is also available in Oklahoma City grocery stores. Don't give me that "it's Oklahoma" dance again. The ploy is getting old.

If you pay close attention to the article, it has nothing to do with bad sales. It has more to do with bad decisions made on behalf of the vendors and a bank who decided that a 24 percent sales growth over the previous year was not good enough. I don't like Arvest Bank anyway.
    24 percent not being good enough? That is crap. 24 percent is a very high profit margin. I learned several years ago from a man named Joe Leder, who owned Ace Pawn Shop (try contacting him Midtowner if you want proof), that 20 percent was a target range. I tend to believe bad management.

Oh by the way. Arvest seems fine to me... Well, maybe it is because my dad is the largest depositer with their branch by Brookwood Village.

Floating_adrift Guest

24 percent not being good enough? That is crap. 24 percent is a very high profit margin. I learned several years ago from a man named Joe Leder, who owned Ace Pawn Shop (try contacting him Midtowner if you want proof), that 20 percent was a target range. I tend to believe bad management.

Oh by the way. Arvest seems fine to me... Well, maybe it is because my dad is the largest depositer with their branch by Brookwood Village.
    Sales growth and profit margin are completely different things! You can have a 100% sales growth and still be losing a lot of money.

Sounds like your dad is a big fella if he's their largest depositor.

Angry Re: Lotus in Bricktown closed

Originally Posted by mranderson

Actually, truth be told, "Sushi" does not ever contain raw fish. If it did, it would be called "Sashimi".

Go to a sushi bar sometime, you'll quickly note that there are plenty of dishes that don't involve raw fish. It's a common misconception though.

So literally speaking, if you don't like sushi because it contains raw fish, it's like not liking tea because it's coffee. In other words, "Just because".

Indeed, this is a common misconception as most sushi is not raw! have you ever tried it? sashimi is also good such as tuna or salmon, you cant hardly even taste it and its probably if not the, one of the most healthy things you can eat. Its sad this business went under even though I think they were overpriced. I new one of the owners but he never came across me in a good way even though I ate there at least once a week and rented it out for parties.

Floating_adrift Guest

Quote Originally Posted by metro
    sashimi is also good such as tuna or salmon, you cant hardly even taste it and its probably if not the, one of the most healthy things you can eat.

This is why I don't care for it - it feels like your paying top dollar for something that you can hardly taste. Do you eat it for the flavor or the healthful aspects?

Always been curious about this. As I said before I've tried it quite a few times and it just doesn't have much flavor. I've felt that some people I know eat it only because 'all the cool people are doing it' "Look at me, I'm eating raw fish and I really like it! (even though I don't really taste anything!)" :P

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse

With Bricktown, you have to offer a food that can't really be found elsewhere in the city. Folks aren't going to pay $8.00 for parking and then eat when they could eat the same thing closer to home and park for free.

I don't think Lotus did a great job of this. I think they had excellent food, but it wasn't anything to write home about. One thing about Bricktown though, they'll fill the space quickly.

With most bars and restaurants, owners and investors need to be prepared to wait 3 years until they are in the black. I don't recall exactly when Lotus was started, but I don't think it's been quite 3 years yet (maybe 2?)

I'm excited to see who takes that space over though. I'd love for an ESPN Zone to come to Bricktown. I think that'd be a terrific fit.

Floating adrift, I eat it both for the unique tastes and for the amazing healthful aspects, and hey if you dont like spending alot on so little, Lotus had $1.00 sushi sundays, the portions were cut in half, but the price was cheap enough for people who werent sushi fans coulda sample a few and get out of the place less than $5 bucks a person. Someone also mentioned Sushi Neko is better and have not been to Mushashi's. They are the same company and owners. Mushashi's is more a japanese steakhouse and on sundays (the only day Sushi Neko is closed) they bring Neko's sushi chef over for the only day Mushashi's serves sushi.

Floating_adrift Guest

Where are these places? I'll give them a try.

on Western over by the Will Rogers theatre/Wills Cafe, VZD's etc...even if you dont end up liking it, it is important to have diverse cuisines like this so our city can continue to grow both culturally, numerically, and economically

21. Default Re: Lotus in Bricktown closed

Western Avenue is a real cool area. It's an upscale alternative for Oklahoma City dining, as opposed to Bricktown which has family dining, upscale dining and a number of night clubs. Plus, it's a pretty street.

Patrick Guest

With Bricktown, you have to offer a food that can't really be found elsewhere in the city. Folks aren't going to pay $8.00 for parking and then eat when they could eat the same thing closer to home and park for free.

I don't think Lotus did a great job of this. I think they had excellent food, but it wasn't anything to write home about. One thing about Bricktown though, they'll fill the space quickly.
    I don't think that's necessarily true. Chelinos has a location everywhere in the city, but the Bricktown one, where people have to pay to park, still does well. Also, Zios has other locations, one on Meridian in fact, with free parking. But the Zios in Bricktown still does well. Abuelos has another location on Memorial Rd. with free parking, but the one in Bricktown actually does better than the one on Memorial. Coach's has other locations, but the one in Bricktown still does well. Varsity has several other locations, but the one in Bricktown still does well.

I think Lotus was a unqiue restaurant...I think its problem was more with mangement and misunderstanding. Some were driven away because they thought it was just a sushi bar. Others simply didn't know it was there. Lotus didn't advertise much. Still others thought it was a little too pricey. For steak, many probably preferred to go to Mickey Mantle Steakhouse, a lot nicer restaurant in my opinion.

With most bars and restaurants, owners and investors need to be prepared to wait 3 years until they are in the black. I don't recall exactly when Lotus was started, but I don't think it's been quite 3 years yet (maybe 2?)
    This is so true. Many businesses locate in Bricktown and don't even think about the long term. The owner of the Laughing Fish Gift shop in Bricktown is pretty intelliegent. When he first opened his store in Bricktown he knew exactly what to expect. He knew that he'd have to make enough to hold him over during the winter months, a time he knew when traffic in Bricktown was down. He had an enitre year's rent and operating expenses saved up before opening....very smart! Even smarter, he opened up stores at Crossroads and Quail Springs, to supplement the losses at the Bricktown store during the winter months.

It seems like the businesses that do best in Bricktown are those have other locations to supplement their Bricktown losses during the winter. Chelinos has many other locations. Laughing Fish has mall locations. Zios has other locations. Abuelos is a nation-wide chain with another location in the metro and locations across the country. Coach's has other locations (the largest being in Norman). Spaghetti Warehouse is a nation-wide chain. Varsity has other locations. Hooters is a nation-wide chain. Nonna's will be successful because she has another location to supplement her Bricktown losses during winter months. Same with Earl's and Marble Slab.

The only restaurant that bucks this trend is Taste of China...they have several locations around the metro, yet their Bricktown location closed. Again though, I wonder if that has to do with unrealistic expectations from the beginning, or just a lack of publicity of their Brictown location. I never really heard a lot about their restaurant after it opened.

I'm excited to see who takes that space over though. I'd love for an ESPN Zone to come to Bricktown. I think that'd be a terrific fit.
    I used to be in favor of an ESPN Zone, Hard Rock, etc., but Norm Bekoff, former manager of the OKC Water Taxi operations, not in the Woodlands, TX, changed my mind! He pointed out that there's nothing unique about theme restaurants. They're just another chain restaurant. He's right. Sure, I gues it wouldn't hurt to have a few theme restuarants just to give us some popularity, but I'd rather have local venues like Toby Keith's, Earl's, Coach's, etc. Everytime I go out of town to eat, I always avoid the chain restaurants, and try to find something unique. Why eat at chain restaurants on vacation? It's just the same food everywhere across the country. I'd trade a Hard Rock or ESPN Zone for Toby Keith's Roadhouse any day of the week!

As for chains, I agree.. But they're building an IHOP.

I'm extremely concerned that the lower-end national chains will get a foothold in Bricktown -- the Olive Garden, Chiles, etc. As for 'special' or higher-end things like the ESPN Zone, a location that they'd no doubt broadcast from for OU games, I think there are a few benefits. The free publicity for the riverwalk alone would make ESPN-Zone a good fit -- although, there are already quite a few sports-themed restaurants down there.

24. Default Re: Lotus in Bricktown closed

I wanted to chime in here, being that sushi/sashimi is my favourite food and I am part Japanese.

Midtowner and OKCpulse are correct; Most sushi does not contain raw fish.

The term sushi actually refers to the RICE that makes up sushi. Sushi comes in rolls, zushi (a cone shaped roll), thumbnails called nigiri sushi (pronounced nee-gee-lee, the R has an L sound), and other less popular varieties (at least in America).

Sushi rolls (I forget the japanese word momentarily - now I remember, I think it is INARI SUSHI, pronounced EE-NAH-LEE sushi) most often have COOKED fish meat and vegies inside a roll surrounded by seaweed. More expensive varieties have the rice on the outside of the seaweed, with roe or sesame seeds sprinkled on the outside. Popular american sushi rolls are - California Roll (crab meat, avacado, cucumber), Shrimp roll (shrimp salad mixture), Alaska Roll (smoked salmon), and Spider Roll (prawn tempura). MOST Inari Sushi is cooked or vegetarian.

Zushi rolls are a complete cone, unlike the sushi rolls which are sliced (in restaurants). Ingredients are similar but zushi will more often have uncooked fish inside. Popular varieties are spicy tuna and spicy salmon.

Nigiri sushi is probably the most popular IMAGE people have of sushi and why most typical Americans consider sushi to be RAW as it is very similar to sashimi. Nigiri sushi has sliced fish on-top of a thumb sized portion of rice. Nigiri comes in many varieties, with popular ones as SAKE (raw salmon), MAGURO (raw (red) tuna), TAKO (Octopus), TOMAGO (EGG), EBI (cooked shrimp), and AMEBI (uncooked shrimp).

SASHIMI is raw fish fillet, sliced when close to frozen - but served slightly thawed. Take what I said above about Nigiri Sushi and subtract the rice, and you have sashimi! There are endless varieties of sashimi in Japan and large japanese American cities like Vancouver, San Fran, NY, Chi, so on. You have heard of Blowfish, well it is a fish which in large amounts can kill you instantly! But is a delacacy. There is also beef sashimi, but even I am afraid to try that!

ONE MORE NOTE, for those of you who are afraid of raw fish - dont worry. All you have to do is wash the sashimi with WASABI (pronounced WAH-SAH-BEE) - japanese root like horseradish. Follow the following steps:

1) get/ask for a small saucer (usually fine sushi restaurants will automatically give you a small saucer, if not ask for it
    2) place some of your wasabi in the saucer
    3) slowly add SOY SAUCE over the wasabi as you mash the wasabi, making a paste

WARNING HERE - the thicker the paste, the better it will KILL germs of the raw fish but will be very uncomfortable (HOT/SPICY) in your mouth. Find what you can bear.

4) once you have your paste (should be about a tablespoon size for most dipping saucers), pick up your sashimi slice with your chopsticks and smother it in the wasabi/soy sauce paste.
    5) then place it in your mouth, chew, and enjoy

I PROMISE YOU GUYS, TRY this methodology and you WILL ENJOY SASHIMI. Make the same paste for INARI, ZUSHI, and NIGIRI sushis but probably does not need to be as thick.

IF you try this suggestion and still do not like sushi or sashimi, then I guess it is not for you. But trust me, give it a shot. There is nothing to worry about, as long as the restaurant is reputable - their sushi and sashimi will be very nice. Maybe sashimi is not your cup of tea, well try the Inari sushi (see above). Most of it is cooked and can be eaten without additional preparation. California Inari sushi is the most popular and easiest to try.

ONE FINAL WORNING - sashimi tends to be very expensive. Do not go there expecting to GET FULL or anything. It is a treat! A delecacy! Somewhere to take your spouse! I would only go to the all-you-can-eat sushi joints in cities where there are a lot of Japanese Sushi Restaurants as the competition keeps the food fresh and the price very very affordable (see my list of cities above).

Hope that helps,

ARIGATO!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Interesting read, HOT ROD. Thanks for the info.

Thread Information