Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 16 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Occupy OKC in Kerr Park...

Default Occupy OKC in Kerr Park...

What a Pathetic group, I hope OKC enforces the 11p.m.-6:00a.m. curfew...they never let the homeless stay there...these people have lots of tents like they plan to camp out...

Default Re: Occupy OKC in Kerr Park...

Freedom of speech and freedom to protest!I myself do not support what they are doing but they have the right to do it!

I think the curfew only applies to minors, but beside that, how would folks camping there affect you? You seem angry by calling a group of peaceful activists, "pathetic". Are you against the concept of people having the right of redress as articulated in the 1st Amendment to the constitution?

What stops a homeless person from waging a perpetual state of protest?

I may not agree with them 99%, but when was the last time any of us ever cared so much for a cause that we made a hand-made sign and/or risked our lives by sleeping in a park? Me, never.

Oh yea, anyone else see the sign on Channel 5 news last night that read "Don't be Douchy"???? Best ever.

Absolute curfew from 11p.m.-6:00a.m. Not just for minors....pathetic because I walked through there today and saw them...no problem with freedom of speech but they are not saying anything ....

I've been pretty amazed to hear lack of comprehensive and coherent response from many of the protestors in other cities when asked to voice what their goal is in gathering. No one seems to know - not even the protestors...

Pretty sure that they have a three day permit to stage their protest, that could explain the lack of curfew enforcement.

Hopefully their protest will be over before that building they are camped right next to starts to come down.

Quote Originally Posted by Frustratedoptimist View Post
    I may not agree with them 99%, but when was the last time any of us ever cared so much for a cause that we made a hand-made sign and/or risked our lives by sleeping in a park? Me, never.

Oh yea, anyone else see the sign on Channel 5 news last night that read "Don't be Douchy"???? Best ever.
    Risk their life for sleeping in a park? That's a bit of a stretch don't you think....

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerus View Post
    What a Pathetic group, I hope OKC enforces the 11p.m.-6:00a.m. curfew...they never let the homeless stay there...these people have lots of tents like they plan to camp out...
    God forbid you should actually SEE people who disagree with your politics. OKC, business as usual.

Absolute curfew from 11p.m.-6:00a.m. Not just for minors....pathetic because I walked through there today and saw them...no problem with freedom of speech but they are not saying anything ....

They have a permit. They're allowed to stay there all night.

That is discriminating against the homeless and I object...curfew signs are very prevalent in the park...you must say something before somebody can disagree with you...these people say nothing, a bunch of nobodies...

The homeless are free to show up at this event if they so desire.

That is discriminating against the homeless and I object...curfew signs are very prevalent in the park...you must say something before somebody can disagree with you...these people say nothing, a bunch of nobodies...
    That "Don't Be Douchy" sign was for you soonerus.

They need to stay all year and are not allowed...not fair...

Homeless people do sleep in that park. I see them on the stairs around the water stage most mornings.

One guy has lived there for about 15 years and that's it...it is his turf...

I've seen more then Timothy there. Although I haven't seen him around for a couple of weeks.

He is still there...

21. Default Re: Occupy OKC in Kerr Park...

Quote Originally Posted by redrunner View Post
    That "Don't Be Douchy" sign was for you soonerus.
    LOL +1

Soonerus, did you complain this much about the Tea Party protests?

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    I've been pretty amazed to hear lack of comprehensive and coherent response from many of the protestors in other cities when asked to voice what their goal is in gathering. No one seems to know - not even the protestors...
    This begs the question of whether or not they are receiving fair and complete coverage. I'll give my impression though.

If there is no social contract requiring the wealthy to pay more in taxes, then there should be no social contract requiring the rest to bail them out.

If we really want a free market, why are we giving tax breaks and subsidies to corporations. Why are we bailing them out.

If John Doe makes poor financial choices or suffers from unforeseen fiscal circumstances, than John Doe is screwed. If John Doe CORP. makes poor financial choices or suffers from unforeseen fiscal circumstances, John Doe CORP simply dissolves or becomes the newly formed Jane Doe CORP.

I'm not professing a belief in either way at the moment, but I believe these are the questions and issues (among many) the protesters want answered and resolved.

23. Default Re: Occupy OKC in Kerr Park...

Probably comes as no surprise I support them in spirit/theory. I wish more people would actually stand up for something beyond griping around a table at some coffee joint or tapping away on their keyboard. Peaceful protest is great and I've seen a very few instances where violent/physical protest was even necessary (mostly in other countries). I can make jokes about the appearance and apparent lack of cohesive message/goals of these protestors, but beyond that I say "go for it!"

During TV interviews in other States, it's obvious most were protesting to be protesting, most of the ones interviewed couldn't explain in any detail what, or why they were protesting. In this instance, maybe a "silent" protest would have been called for.

these people say nothing, a bunch of nobodies...
    Yea! Just like these jokers!

Thread Information