Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cow Calf-Hay

1. Multiple Locations Cow Calf-Hay

The brothers that own/operate the City Bites chain of sandwich shops have a new burger place in Edmond. It's called The Cow Calf-Hay and all their burgers are a full 1/2 pound of certified Angus Beef. If you're thinking, "yeah I tried the Mad Cow place they had before," this is much better.

Went there today for lunch with a party of 5 and we used to all go to Nic's and this was as good in my opinion. I did the grilled onion burger with bacon and onion rings.

Located on the SE corner of 33 and Broadway behind the Jamba Juice location.

Odd hours right now while the owners work it themselves to make sure it's done right.... Mon-Thurs 10:30-2:30 and Fri 10:30-8pm.

If you're in the area it's worth s try.

Default Re: The Cow Calf-Hay open in Edmond

Thanks for the lead, but what's with the name?

3. Default Re: The Cow Calf-Hay open in Edmond

Apparently there was an "issue" with the Mad Cow name, and this is someone's idea of cute. I don't really get it, but the food is really good. I hope it stays that way.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Thanks for the lead, but what's with the name?
    A cutesy (to someone anyway) play on Cafe

I saw the Cow Calf-Hay last week when I was dropping someone off at Firestone and the exterior signage is quite gaudy which didn't make me want to eat there. But I'm sure the food speaks for itself. Maybe if they come out on Groupon I'll check them out.

I thought Mad Cow was pretty good, I was disappointed when they closed it. I also like the Curly's that was in that location before.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    I thought Mad Cow was pretty good, I was disappointed when they closed it. I also like the Curly's that was in that location before.
    same here

8. Default Re: The Cow Calf-Hay open in Edmond

I was told they couldn't secure financing with that name. Odd but I trust my source.

9. Default Re: The Cow Calf-Hay open in Edmond

This place is definitely not a little secret anymore. Going on a Friday night is out for me - line out the door. Went for lunch again a couple of days ago, burgers and rings were wonderful as always. They were experimenting with a vodka spiked ketchup on a burger that was pretty good. I love that there is a real alternative to Nic's that you can go to and actually find a seat and not smell like grease when you leave.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Absolutely. LOVED Curley's. Mad Cow was good too from what i remember. While a cute name, think the Mad Cow disease thing was just too close to home for many people and they said...never mind. LOL

Reminds me of the classic case of Chevy Novas not selling well done in South America. Would you buy a car that was named "Won't Go" on it and featured in all of the advertising etc? LOL

They have the menu posted on their Facebook page:

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    This place is definitely not a little secret anymore. Going on a Friday night is out for me - line out the door. Went for lunch again a couple of days ago, burgers and rings were wonderful as always. They were experimenting with a vodka spiked ketchup on a burger that was pretty good. I love that there is a real alternative to Nic's that you can go to and actually find a seat and not smell like grease when you leave.
    When I saw the original post date of this thread and that you replied many months later, figured it was about it closing. I always assumed it closed down a while back because I only go by it in the evenings or on a saturday. I'll have to hit it up on a friday night sometime soon.

My wife and I tried Cow Calf-Hay and thought it was great as well. Service was excellent.

14. Default Re: The Cow Calf-Hay open in Edmond

This Tweet just went out....... YES!

cowcalfhay The Cow Calf-Hay
    NEW HOURS STARTING MAY 3rd! @cowcalfhay will be open Tues-Sat from 11am-8pm. No you're not dreaming, this tweet is REAL!

This Tweet just went out....... YES!
    This is great news. We love that place, but we rarely around to go for lunch. Only being open on Friday nights really limited our ability to enjoy their great burgers. Although, I'm sure my cholesterol level and my doctor will not be happy.

Damn... I really wanted to try this place out today..

Unhappy Re: The Cow Calf-Hay open in Edmond

Tried to go on Saturday, but they weren't open.

18. Default Re: The Cow Calf-Hay open in Edmond

Quote Originally Posted by MEvans View Post
    Tried to go on Saturday, but they weren't open.
    Yeah, not till May. The brothers who own City Bites actually work this restaurant themselves, so the hours reflect their schedule. This is more of their pet project and it has proven a success. Speaking of pets, they have the coolest collect of humongous turtles I have ever seen at their homes.

Yeah, not till May. The brothers who own City Bites actually work this restaurant themselves, so the hours reflect their schedule. This is more of their pet project and it has proven a success. Speaking of pets, they have the coolest collect of humongous turtles I have ever seen at their homes.
    They have come a long way since the days of when the City Bites on 23rd between Rockwell and Council was their "winter income" for their landscaping business.

May 3rd needs to get here now.. I really want to try this place out! I have heard great things about it from friends.

I tried this place about a week ago and was pretty impressed. The fries are nothing special but the burgers are fantastic!

What's better here, the fries or the rings? I've got a lunch appointment at the CCH on Wednesday and I'm trying to decide which to order with my burger.

Get the onion rings and come back and tell us how they were.

I must have went on an off day. I didn't think the service was that great. The burger was good, but very greasy and the fries were nothing special. It is a small restaurant and as a result they don't have very many high chairs and they day I went the 2 they had were already in use. I had to bring my one year old in a stroller which was a less than pleasant experience. I would be willing to try again, though.

Quote Originally Posted by AFwife04 View Post
    I must have went on an off day. I didn't think the service was that great. The burger was good, but very greasy and the fries were nothing special. It is a small restaurant and as a result they don't have very many high chairs and they day I went the 2 they had were already in use. I had to bring my one year old in a stroller which was a less than pleasant experience. I would be willing to try again, though.
    So the rings, then?

Thread Information