Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 12 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Center renovations update

Default Ford Center renovations update

Second round begins for Ford Center face-lift; project on target
    by Brian Brus
    The Journal Record March 4, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY – Almost $4 million in work has been completed in the first phase of a massive renovation of the Ford Center arena in downtown Oklahoma City, Benham Cos. Senior Project Manager Jim Reynolds told City Council members Tuesday.

The next phase, which will involve the majority of the $100 million tax-funded project, is expected to begin in April after a quick turnaround in the bidding process.

“It will start as soon as the season is over,” Reynolds said. “We’re breaking it up this way because the team is really concerned about not having any construction ongoing during their season.”

Last March, city residents passed a 15-month, 1-cent sales tax worth about $120 million to upgrade the arena in order to improve chances of attracting an NBA team. About $20 million of that total is earmarked for the construction of a separate practice facility for the sole use of the former Seattle SuperSonics basketball team, now the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Among the improvements expected in the arena are the addition of sit-down restaurants and clubs so fans can eat and drink while watching the game, private suites, a larger team retail store area, media broadcast facilities and bigger locker rooms.

Benham won the contract for the upgrade last year. The Oklahoma City company had also provided full architecture and engineering design for the building for its grand opening in mid-2002, then a major component of the original Metropolitan Area Projects, or MAPS, tax initiative.

City Manager Jim Couch, Reynolds and other officials have said it’s likely that minor change orders will be required as work progresses, but Reynolds’ report this week showed the project was largely on target.

“The budget is tight, so it’s a good time to bid projects right now because of the downturn in the economy,” Couch said. “We’re seeing the contractors to be much hungrier; they’re more aggressive in their bidding and there’s a lot more of them bidding. … Our greatest risk right now is to make sure sales tax revenue is maintained.”

The work recently completed focused primarily on restrooms, some electrical wiring for the broadcast media area and the addition of a new restaurant.

Benham will accept bids through March for the second phase, which will consist of about 60 percent of the remaining interior renovations at the event level, Reynolds said. Work on the main entry concourse will be held for a later phase, as will new concession stands and retail outlets.

“We’re trying to get a piece of it out to bid to where it could be constructed before the start of the next season,” he said.

The Journal Record - Article

Default Re: Ford Center renovations update

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Second round begins for Ford Center face-lift; project on target

Among the improvements expected in the arena are the addition of sit-down restaurants and clubs so fans can eat and drink while watching the game, private suites, a larger team retail store area, media broadcast facilities and bigger locker rooms.

The Journal Record - Article
    Is this what is going to be completed during the off season? I forget what the stages are for the renovation.

Yes, as well as the major expansion of the exterior, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Yes, as well as the major expansion of the exterior, etc.
    What is being saved for after next season? The Major SW expansion and the rooftop gardens?

Is a new scoreboard included in all of this? I thought we were supposed to get one this season.

Also, will this next phase complete the part that will temporarily make it impossible to load in large events like concerts?

6. Default Re: Ford Center renovations update

I am fairly sure the ford center will shut down for a few months this summer and thats why the concerts are not going to be able to come. I also think during this time period they will get the majority of the contruction work done on the new entrances and balconies and by the time next season starts all that will be left is cosmetic and interior work

A new scoreboard has GOT to be included in this round; I bet we have one of the worst in the league. Most boards in the Big XII even are high def and have much more information than ours. Look no further than Norman.

so is there any additonal seating if so how many more

I am fairly sure the ford center will shut down for a few months this summer and thats why the concerts are not going to be able to come.
    Right. I just wondering if all the work that will prohibit shows will be included and completed in the next phase. I would hate to lose two summer seasons of concerts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    so is there any additonal seating if so how many more
    Actually, there will be a slight cut of seating due to adding the restaurant, nicer suites, etc. I believe the number is about 500. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I believe that's about right. I think most of it will be in the club level End seating, which will be replaced by what I think is called loge seating. My impression is that it's more of a loungey area.

I'm not sure if the 500 is a net loss or a gross, because aren't they adding "sky boxes" too, which would add some seating up there, right?

12. Default Re: Ford Center renovations update

Yes. They are mirroring (if that's even a word) the sky boxes on the east side to the west side. probably spruce those up a bit as well

this all starts right after the season is over.... correct?

From The Article:

Excerpt: “It will start as soon as the season is over,” Reynolds said. “We’re breaking it up this way because the team is really concerned about not having any construction ongoing during their season.”

Ford Center work OK’d
    Comments 0
    Buzz up!Published: April 8, 2009

Final plans for $12.5 million in improvements to the Ford Center won approval Tuesday from the Oklahoma City Council.

The renovations are part of the $120 million plan approved last year by city voters to bring the Ford Center to NBA standards. The project is funded by a 1-cent sales tax that will expire in March 2010.

Bids on the project will be accepted May 5, with work expected to be done by October. Improvements include new clubs on the lower level and suite levels, new suites and a new locker room.

http://newsok.com/ford-center-work-okd/article/3359867

16. Default Re: Ford Center renovations update

I remember seeing several presentations of the remodel of the Ford Center.

Was one decided yet? Pictures?

Yes, here is the pic again, and I'm pretty sure you can ignore the parking out front.

This is the one from the official Ford Center site (seems to lack the video board):

Improvements - Ford Center

The Ford Center is going to look nice after its done, I think its going to look a lot better then the Sprint Center in Kansas City and the BOK Center in Tulsa.

I don't know if I'd go that far, but as far as amentities it will compete or beat them. The Sprint Center is just AWESOME and the BOK Center is a work of art, at least the outside.

A few more:

22. Default Re: Ford Center renovations update

That's just awesome!

But, I just don't see how it's possible to have such a huge striped cement, unless that stretch of Robinson is taken out.

BTW, anyone know if the team been actively shopping the naming rights?

I ask only because, if they are someone should show it to AT&T... more bars in more places anyone?:

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    That's just awesome!

But, I just don't see how it's possible to have such a huge striped cement, unless that stretch of Robinson is taken out.
    That part of it will probably be toned down, but I would assume it would at least lead up to the street.

BDP, I don't think naming rights will come into play until after the renovations are complete.

Thread Information