Widgets Magazine

Thread: Cabrito

Default Cabrito

I have eaten cabrito (Young Goat) in restaurants in Texas. Do any restaurants in OKC serve Cabrito?

Bigray in Ok

Default Re: Cabrito

No but Torero in Tulsa has it

3. Default Re: Cabrito

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrayok View Post
    Do any restaurants in OKC serve Cabrito?
    Been several years since I've been there but last time I was in Taste of China at I-240 and Western they had a Mexican section added to their buffet that had cabrito.

Wouldn't be surprised if it could be found on some of the taquerias around town too.... Or check with Birreria Diaz in Bethany.... I know they serve sheep. They may serve cabrito as well.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Been several years since I've been there but last time I was in Taste of China at I-240 and Western they had a Mexican section added to their buffet that had cabrito.

Wouldn't be surprised if it could be found on some of the taquerias around town too.... Or check with Birreria Diaz in Bethany.... I know they serve sheep. They may serve cabrito as well.
    OKBBQEA,
    Sheep or lamb? If they serve sheep (mutton), that would be strange, but lamb is available at several places, heck even Walmart carries it in some stores. I would be interested in cabrito, I have only had it in San Antonio and it was really good.
    C. T.

5. Default Re: Cabrito

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    OKBBQEA,
    Sheep or lamb? If they serve sheep (mutton), that would be strange, but lamb is available at several places, heck even Walmart carries it in some stores. I would be interested in cabrito, I have only had it in San Antonio and it was really good.
    C. T.
    Menu says sheep.

Menu says sheep.
    OKBBQEA,
    I have been told that sheep (mutton) has a terrible taste, but that's not first hand, my friend from London told me that but I don't know if she has actually ever eaten it. It might be something like a "wild" taste and puts some people off. I would be interested in trying it. I do enjoy lamb.
    C. T.

7. Default Re: Cabrito

OKBBQEA,
    I have been told that sheep (mutton) has a terrible taste, but that's not first hand, my friend from London told me...
    I'm not fond of the lamb I have tried. So I will probably never try it myself.

I'm not fond of the lamb I have tried. So I will probably never try it myself.
    OKBBQEA,
    Lamb shanks are great, comparable to pig wings but larger. I also enjoy lamb chops and other preparations. I know we all have different tastes, but my first experience with lamb was in the late 60's and a friend's aunt served leg of lamb and it wasn't very good. Since I have a friend from London and have spent a lot of time over there I have really enjoyed lamb. I wish your experiences had been better, because I think smoked with pecan or hickory, lamb would be great. I'm a native Okie and love my beef and pork but if I still had my offset/dropdown smoker I would have to give it a shot. I believe Roccoco serves lamb shanks but the only place I know to buy them is Whole Foods Market.
    C. T.

By the way, when I said lamb shanks were comparable to pig wings, I didn't mean taste, but the cut is comparable although the lamb shanks are larger. One lamb shank is a very satisfactory entree, but I have eaten several "pig wings".
    C. T.

10. Default Re: Cabrito

I wish your experiences had been better, because I think smoked with pecan or hickory, lamb would be great. I'm a native Okie and love my beef and pork but if I still had my offset/dropdown smoker I would have to give it a shot.
    I tried smoked mutton at Moonlite Bar-B-Q in Owensboro, KY last year and while it was a little lean and required some sauce to get down. The flavor was good and it was the only lamb I could say I ever enjoyed the flavor of.

The other times I tried it was at Fogo de Chao and Texas de Brazil and I didn't really enjoy either offering.

Thread Information