Widgets Magazine

Thread: Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium

1. Default Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium

Saying “Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium” isn’t quite as clumsy as reading it. Reading “Gaylord Family – Oklahoma Memorial Stadium” in a news article is like a speed bump; it makes you angry every time you hit one. I know the Gaylords are royalty in Oklahoma, but is it a good thing for them to be cursed every time “Gaylord Family – Oklahoma Memorial Stadium” appears in print? Why can’t it just be OU Stadium? Or Gaylord Stadium? Or good ole Memorial Stadium?

Default Re: Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium

Let's just call it Owen Field.

Should be Oklahoma Memorial Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Let's just call it Owen Field.
    which it still is .... and is what lots call it ... "Historic Owen Field"

Blog Entries

Love's Field at Bank First's Gaylord Family - Memorial Stadium.

That sound better?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    which it still is .... and is what lots call it ... "Historic Owen Field"
    Bingo, I still hear a lot of old timers say this and I've adopted it as well.

Palace on the Prairie branding has actually grown on me.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Palace on the Prairie branding has actually grown on me.
    It's a great nickname for sure.

9. Default Re: Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium

It's been known as Owen Field since the 1920s, and nothing has changed about that. The STADIUM is named Oklahoma Gaylord Family Memorial Stadium, with "Gaylord Family" added when the Gaylords made a massive donation toward the expansion (plus the journalism school) of a couple of decades ago. The "Memorial Stadium" name was attached to the STADIUM in the '20s, to honor fallen Sooners who had lost their lives in World War 1. "Palace on the Prairie is a nickname, and I agree with the folks who like it. But that's a marketing name, not an official one. But Owen Field is still Owen Field, nothing more, nothing less. You don't have to be an old timer to call the field itself by the correct name.

Blog Entries

OU Re: Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium

The Gaylord family have donated millions since 2000 to OU for stadium renovations and the journalism department.

Leave the stadium name to include Gaylord. They donated funds to help OU in times of need. Just don't get this trend to rename things.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Bingo, I still hear a lot of old timers say this and I've adopted it as well.
    I never went away from Memorial Stadium

Btw, the vibe and activity around campus and Norman this past weekend for Tenn. was next level. Never felt that kind of energy before in Norman and it really started on Wed. as that's when many Vols fans started to arrive. The SEC is a totally different beast. They travelled in hoards, probably close to 10k Vols fans. They toured, RV'd, spent tons of dollars, tailgated and were a huge part of the weekend vibe. Big 12 fans don't travel at all like that and for the most part, come the day before and leave. SEC fans take great pride in learning and fully experiencing opposing college towns. They immerse themselves. The lack of hotel rooms in Norman allows for massive spillover into the metro so the impact can't be overstated.

13. Default Re: Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by LRSooner View Post
    Btw, the vibe and activity around campus and Norman this past weekend for Tenn. was next level. Never felt that kind of energy before in Norman and it really started on Wed. as that's when many Vols fans started to arrive. The SEC is a totally different beast. They travelled in hoards, probably close to 10k Vols fans. They toured, RV'd, spent tons of dollars, tailgated and were a huge part of the weekend vibe. Big 12 fans don't travel at all like that and for the most part, come the day before and leave. SEC fans take great pride in learning and fully experiencing opposing college towns. They immerse themselves. The lack of hotel rooms in Norman allows for massive spillover into the metro so the impact can't be overstated.
    Imagine when Alabama comes to town. It's going to be a madhouse

The one thing I'm not sure I like about the Gaylord name is that it might limit another institution/family from wanting to make a an even bigger donation to the stadium and knowing that some other families name would still be on it.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    The one thing I'm not sure I like about the Gaylord name is that it might limit another institution/family from wanting to make a an even bigger donation to the stadium and knowing that some other families name would still be on it.
    The one thing OU has never struggled to get are football donations. Other sports, sure. But not football. I don't think this is an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    The one thing OU has never struggled to get are football donations. Other sports, sure. But not football. I don't think this is an issue.
    OU needs about 400 mil to complete the stadium renovation ..

they don't have that money ..

they need 200 mil for the football facility they don't have that money ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    OU needs about 400 mil to complete the stadium renovation ..

they don't have that money ..

they need 200 mil for the football facility they don't have that money ..
    But it isn't because the Gaylord name is on the stadium. OU just doesn't have many BMDs.

Thread Information