Widgets Magazine

Thread: City Water

Default City Water

I have lived on an well water for forty years so I really don't remember what city water should taste/smell like, but now that I'm on Midwest City (or is it Mid-Del) water, I don't care for it. Is it just my place, or does the water "smell" everywhere? My place is about seven years old. It definitely has an odor to it that I don't like. I do remember when I was working that the water would sometimes get an algae smell during a hot, dry summer.
    Just curious, I'm not going anywhere. The problem is, there is no way to install a water softener which would probably eliminate the odor plus. I owned a water softener for forty years and I really miss bathing and washing with it. I am going to install an RO filter for drinking and cooking and I need it for my oxygen concentrator's humidifier and my BPAP humidifier. But it won't help the regular tap water used for washing and bathing.
    C. T.
    p.s. I know, I'm just a whiner!

2. Default Re: City Water

It's always been nasty. It's not as bad as Norman water, but it's not tastey by any means. The only way to tolerate it is to put a filter on your tap for fridge.

I'd ask around some more on the water softener/filter thing. Even the oldest of homes in MWC, have a place to put them. It's usually a matter of it you have the room though or the budget if you need to alter something for it. I guess that goes along with the adage, "given enough time and money, anything can be done".

Default Re: City Water

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    It's always been nasty. It's not as bad as Norman water, but it's not tastey by any means. The only way to tolerate it is to put a filter on your tap for fridge.

I'd ask around some more on the water softener/filter thing. Even the oldest of homes in MWC, have a place to put them. It's usually a matter of it you have the room though or the budget if you need to alter something for it. I guess that goes along with the adage, "given enough time and money, anything can be done".
    BomberMWC,
    I'm in an independent living center and there really isn't any place to put a softener other than in my hallway. I think I'm just going to have to be thankful for my RO system. It will provide the water I need to cook with, drink, and fill my humidifiers, and maybe plumb it into my ice maker and coffee maker.
    C. T.

C.T. , When we moved from the city out on to our acreage, we noticed a big difference in our well water as compared to the city. It was nice a clear and tasted great, although harder than the city water we left behind, which our water softener took care of. After 10 years we moved back into Edmond and wow! ... what a difference. As you say, we could tasted it AND smell it, but I guess we're growing accustomed to it again. Having grown up on city water, I guess I didn't notice it that much, but moving back to it?.. yes, big difference.

No it's not just you, MWC water has always sucked and apparently it always will.

Blog Entries

OKC water got some award somewhat recently for taste, right?

So OKC and MWC source their water from different places?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    OKC water got some award somewhat recently for taste, right?

So OKC and MWC source their water from different places?
    Shawnw,
    I suspect that Midwest City has their own water treatment plant even though the source is Draper lake which also provides water to Oklahoma City if I'm not mistaken. Regardless, different treatment facilities can produce different tastes and odors.
    C. T.

Blog Entries

Oic

10. Default Re: City Water

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Shawnw,
    I suspect that Midwest City has their own water treatment plant even though the source is Draper lake which also provides water to Oklahoma City if I'm not mistaken. Regardless, different treatment facilities can produce different tastes and odors.
    C. T.
    Correct, different sources and different treatment plants.

Although I live in Del City we get our water from the same place which is Lake Thunderbird. As for the bad smell and taste. I got the chance to tour Del City's water treatment plant a few years back with a local scout troop. We got to ask quite a few questions one of which was about Midwest City's water. Apparently Del City and Midwest City use the same treatment process, the technician while not really knowing how much chemicals Midwest City's uses he believes that's the root cause to the waters taste and smell. Its strange that two different city's who get their water from the same body of water and use the exact same treatment process but get two distinctly different tasting water.

Midwest City and Del City get there surface water from Lake Thunderbird, not draper.
    Both cities also use a multitude of deep water wells to augment the Lake T bird water.
    Del City cuts the lake water 50/50 in the summer time so as to reduce treatment cost and to improve the summer lake water taste.
    In the winter time when water consumption is lower the vast majority of residential drinking water is well.
    Hope that helps some

Thread Information