Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Ed's

1. Northwest OKC Big Ed's

Is Big ed's still around? I knew Ed and his wife, I used to go over and make deliverys to them, They sure were nice people. I think he is lebonese (sp).

2. Default Re: Big Ed's?

I loved Big Ed's burgers! One of my favorites!

3. Exclamation Re: Big Ed's?

Quote Originally Posted by davido
    Is Big ed's still around? I knew Ed and his wife, I used to go over and make deliverys to them, They sure were nice people. I think he is lebonese (sp).
    I found this on a recent google search.

Big Ed's Hamburgers
    Cuisine: American
    General Location: North
    Address: 524 N.W. 10th St.
    City: Oklahoma City, OK 73103
    Phone: 232-5419

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Review: There are two locations for Big Eds. One is on N.W. 10th Street, while another is at 12209 N. Pennsylvania. Big Ed's is a local burger chain that was established in the early Eighties and it's first location was at 63rd and Meridian. As usual, burgers at Big Ed's are made the old-fashioned way: slapped on a hot grill and cooked and then dressed up with everything including cheese, onions, lettuce and whatever you request. Big here means big! $$ Hamburgers

http://www.okgazette.com/restaurants...1&Orderby=Name

4. Default Re: Big Ed's?

I think there use to be big ed's in norman in the 80's. If its the right big ed's think it was on lindsey street or could be alamedea it was so long ago and IO was so little I barely remeber it.

Default Re: Big Ed's?

There was a Big Ed's in the shopping center at 12th and Lindsay in Norman in those days. The shopping center where the Safeway used to be located.

6. Default Re: Big Ed's?

Oh yea the safeway I remember now.

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid
    I found this on a recent google search.

Big Ed's Hamburgers
    Cuisine: American
    General Location: North
    Address: 524 N.W. 10th St.
    City: Oklahoma City, OK 73103
    Phone: 232-5419

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Review: There are two locations for Big Eds. One is on N.W. 10th Street, while another is at 12209 N. Pennsylvania. Big Ed's is a local burger chain that was established in the early Eighties and it's first location was at 63rd and Meridian. As usual, burgers at Big Ed's are made the old-fashioned way: slapped on a hot grill and cooked and then dressed up with everything including cheese, onions, lettuce and whatever you request. Big here means big! $$ Hamburgers

http://www.okgazette.com/restaurants...1&Orderby=Name
    I think the 10th is the one that was demolished for St. Anthony's expansion.

I think the one on 122nd is still there I have not been in that area in awhile,

quailcreekgal Guest

The real Big Ed passed away a few years ago. I 'm pretty sure there is still a Big Ed's at 122nd and Penn and there used to be on in Edmond somewhere.

The real Big Ed passed away a few years ago.
    Yeah, and it was kind of a sad story. When Big Ed's chain was at it's prime, it was a very successful. A story in the Oklahoman a few years ago reported that some investors approached him about taking the chain national, and apparently offered him quite a bit of money as an incentive, but he declined, thinking the timing wasn't right (or something similar). Some of the restaurants started failing and were closed, and that combined with some health problems he encountered left the family in a bit of a financial crunch if I'm not mistaken.

It's been a few years since I read that article, so I might be missing some details....they did make GREAT burgers, though. There used to be one at SW 89th and Western, and I think one time my family went there and got a Big Ed and split it amongst ourselves...it was e-stinking-NORMous...

-SoonerDave

There used to be one at 50th and Meridian next to Little Caesar's pizza also but it closed years ago. The one on nw 10th got torn down a year or so ago due to the St. Anthony's hospital expansion. I hear the one on 122nd is still there. I'm not sure though.

MadMonk Guest

Yes, the 122nd and Penn location is still open.

Yes, Big Ed was a great guy.

His first location was actually at 50th & Meridian, as I went to nearby Putnam City and it was all the rage for a while.

Then, he started opening locations all over the city... He had at least 10 at one time.

Like so many small places, took much growth ruins what made them special in the first place. Cocina de Mino is another local restaurant that fits this description IMO. The original location on SE 29th was fantastic.

Like so many small places, took much growth ruins what made them special in the first place. Cocina de Mino is another local restaurant that fits this description IMO. The original location on SE 29th was fantastic.
    From what I understand, it wasn't just unchecked growth that hurt Cocina de Mino....it was, shall we say, less than comprehensive internal financial oversight.

-SoonerDave

I think I ate at a Big Ed's in Enid a long time ago, but I was too young to really remember for sure. Anyways I drove by the Big Ed's on Penn yesterday and I think my husband and I might eat there soon just to show support for the business.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider73068
    I think there use to be big ed's in norman in the 80's. If its the right big ed's think it was on lindsey street or could be alamedea it was so long ago and IO was so little I barely remeber it.
    Actually I worked at Big Ed's Hamburgers for a very long time. The first one was on 23rd and MacArthur, right next door to the old MacArthur Park Theater, then they opened #2 on 50th and Meridian. I worked at both of those when I was a teenager. I have known both Ed and Jenny my entire life. They and my parents were and have remained friends for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by quailcreekgal
    The real Big Ed passed away a few years ago. I 'm pretty sure there is still a Big Ed's at 122nd and Penn and there used to be on in Edmond somewhere.
    The "Real Big Ed" has not passed away. As a matter of fact I talked to him on the phone yesterday. He is not in the best of health, but is still with us.

Default Big Ed's

Who runs the Big Ed's today, I had a bad experience happen to me today. I have ate there for a long time and would like to speak directly with whoever run's the locations now. I believe my experience was with one of the manager's. Not a big deal, just need to let them now. I still plan on eating there, just need an apology. Thanks Jason

18. Default Re: Big Ed's

I believe the man, the big and fat one, is the owner of the last store. You probably did had an issue with the owner, which is quite a surprise. Talk to him, work it out. He's very loyal to the company and customers. Ya know, think of it, probably just a bad day.

Default Re: Big Ed's

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I believe the man, the big and fat one, is the owner of the last store. You probably did had an issue with the owner, which is quite a surprise. Talk to him, work it out. He's very loyal to the company and customers. Ya know, think of it, probably just a bad day.
    Working anything out with "the big and fat one" will be hard to do.

20. Default Re: Big Ed's

if you are talking about the store at 122nd and Penn, i also believe the manager is the owner.

in my experience, no one works harder than that man to put out a great product and make sure his customers are happy.

that is one of the best places on the NW side for a good burger and fries, quick and inexpensive.

i'd also recommend talking to him, and if you can't, chalk it up to a gross misunderstanding....cool off and go back much later.

Here's the story you guys probably want to see:

http://newsok.com/for-many-oklahoman...rticle/3342206

Default Big Ed's 3

Sorry if there is already a thread about this, but can someone give me some quick history about the place? I went to the one downtown before it closed, and have been to their only location up on 122nd. Was it big back in the day? And was big ed really around? I saw pics, but not sure if they were legit.

Tried to follow the links, but too much work. Big Ed's original joint was at 50th and Meridian and he indeed did preside there. Big Ed was really big and he had the "Big Ed" on the menu. One of those challenge things if you cared to try it or it could be cut like a pizza and shared by a family. His burgers were good and he was a great guy too. I don't know how many places they had at their peak, but they were all over town.

Excerpt from obituary:
    By Associated Press
    Published: 1/31/2009 10:16 AM
    Last Modified: 1/31/2009 12:08 PM

OKLAHOMA CITY — Edward L. Thomas, the founder of the Big Ed's Hamburgers chain, has died. He was 66.

Thomas died Thursday in Oklahoma City of congestive heart failure, his daughter, Nicole Thomas, said.

Thomas opened his first hamburger joint in Oklahoma City in 1974, and over the next decade Big Ed's Hamburgers became a household name across Oklahoma with 42 stores, as well as four stores in Kansas.

Best known for its 12-inch-diameter hamburger, free to anyone who could eat it in less than 45 minutes, the business continued to grow until "Big Ed" sold the chain in 1996.

All that's left of the chain is a restaurant in a shopping center in north Oklahoma City, where owner Cyrus Naheed still practices the principles he picked up from the original owner.

"He told me, 'You've got to build your customers one at a time and then just take care of them,'" Naheed said.

Funeral services will be at 4:30 p.m. Sunday at St. Elijah Orthodox Church in Oklahoma City.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...0_OKLAHO384806

Thread Information