Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: KWTV News 9 on a decline.

Default KWTV News 9 on a decline.

Since the pandemic and especially after the move to downtown was announced. I couldn't help but notice that KWTV is on a sharp decline. Can anyone relate?

Default Re: KWTV News 9 on a decline.

Also they seem to refuse that moore exists. These two stories show, they either don't mention it when footage is shown within moore city limits or mention another nearby city when it is clearly within moore to anyone that knows the city well

https://www.news9.com/story/668fb633...ordon-released

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    Also they seem to refuse that moore exists. These two stories show, they either don't mention it when footage is shown within moore city limits or mention another nearby city when it is clearly within moore to anyone that knows the city well

https://www.news9.com/story/668fb633...ordon-released
    the weather team certainly acknowledges Moore’s existence

4. Default Re: KWTV News 9 on a decline.

I guess that is why we have choices. I myself prefer channel 9 for the following reasons. They are the only locally owned news station. Their weather equipment is better that the National weather Service in Norman which means better storm tracking. Love the morning news crew.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    I guess that is why we have choices. I myself prefer channel 9 for the following reasons. They are the only locally owned news station. Their weather equipment is better that the National weather Service in Norman which means better storm tracking. Love the morning news crew.
    None of that means a thing if it's not used well. I have no use for seeing a live shot of Val's windshield wipers while he's in a field in nowhere Oklahoma. I need to know when the tornado will hit my house. But 9 is more interested in showing and talking to their chasers than showing me a map or radar or the storm tracker. And David is about the total opposite of Gary England.

I like Channel 9. Much prefer them to any other local news/weather choice. I think they do a good job of covering a large amount of Oklahoma. I think David Payne is a good and generally low key weather host. I think Lacey Swope is growing into the lead job, and I'm guessing she would be well respected as the head of the weather department if they go that direction.

I like 5, only helicopter in the air, all the time.

I only watch News9

I watch KWTV news only because they aspire to local coverage, not the repackaged, homogenized pablum the corporate news gods approve for dispensation to the masses via their corporate-owned echo chambers.

As for their health, I think serious issues are afoot. They spent untold $$ on the move downtown, but not even 18 months in, they're rebuilding their main news studio set and have already started paring staff as evidenced on the recent morning news shakeup. I think more will be heard of as time progresses.

I haven't watched a local newscast in probably five years or more because I just think any of them are any good. That being said, I do watch 9 during severe weather events.

I was at Beaver Lake in NW Arkansas over Memorial Day weekend when multiple tornados came through the Rogers area after midnight. Talk about a difference in local TV storm coverage. In OKC , you know exactly when and where the storm is. The storm information being provided in Rogers was about 10 minutes old, an eternity when a tornado is around. My hat is off to the KWTV weather team for their great coverage.

Depends on what your definition is of decline.

I don't think there are as many eyes tuning in at a specific time for a newscast compared to just a few years ago, especially under a certain age. So, in this case a ratings decline.

However, on the flip side, the social media and digital aspect has a lot of opportunity to grow. I see more of News 9, KOCO 5, and KFOR in my news feeds across all platforms in a given week about what is happening at the state and local level than I ever watch on traditional TV. My Apple TV has News9's app and also KOCO's Very Local. Both are great in getting the headlines of the day on demand. KFOR use to have an app, but it went away when they sold to Nexstar. With the digital side, all three stations can get all sorts of metrics on who is tuning in compared to linear TV. If you're a weather nerd, the local stations will do hour-long facebook live videos breaking down all of the data and discussion on what may or may not happen. The live-streaming aspect on smart devices has been great.

Local news, weather, and sports still matter, just the delivery model is evolving.

One of the biggest differences of local TV affiliates compared to the newspaper model is that they still give their content away for free and rely heavily on advertising and sponsorships. As long as there are heat/air companies, car dealerships, and injury lawyers, local news will be healthy.

With the amount of money Griffin has spent on investing in news, as well as KFOR's new station, and KOCO on the helicopter and complete studio and newsroom remodel in recent years, local TV news seems to be doing okay.

I've noticed the decline. They must not employ an audio engineer anymore because there is on occasion no sound for a second or two when the camera focus switches to another anchor. Jim Gardener's audio feed from the helicopter sounds horrible and at an extremely low volume. I do find the audio from KOCO's Chase Rutledge's helicopter is outstanding.

The whole morning newscast and the 9:00am morning show has turned into a gab fest. No real news just vapid conversations.

The ousting of Hannah Scholl for becoming pregnant.

The exile of Storme Jones to the noon newscast which is good since Lisa Monohan rarely shows up on air for work.

Pushing the morning newscast to 4:30am from 4:00am.

The Coca-Cola "Porch" which is an excuse to not report on news and let local advertisers to promote upcoming events.

I feel sorry for Addie Crawford since she does the bulk of the field reporting.

Lacie Lowery's new mukbang segment which encourages the "large" anchor to become even more so.

I have now become a regular viewer of KOKH Fox 25 for better news reporting.

14. Default Re: KWTV News 9 on a decline.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    None of that means a thing if it's not used well. I have no use for seeing a live shot of Val's windshield wipers while he's in a field in nowhere Oklahoma. I need to know when the tornado will hit my house. But 9 is more interested in showing and talking to their chasers than showing me a map or radar or the storm tracker. And David is about the total opposite of Gary England.
    It may not mean a thing to you, but I prefer Channel 9. As i said, that is why we have choices. Enjoy whichever channel makes you happy.

15. Default Re: KWTV News 9 on a decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I like Channel 9. Much prefer them to any other local news/weather choice. I think they do a good job of covering a large amount of Oklahoma. I think David Payne is a good and generally low key weather host. I think Lacey Swope is growing into the lead job, and I'm guessing she would be well respected as the head of the weather department if they go that direction.
    I agree. I have noticed that Lacey Swope seems to be headed for the top meteorologist job too. I think she is very good at weather forecasting.

All local news is terrible.

Anytime anything happens, and they actually report, it usually consists of "A shooting occurred in NW OKC (actually downtown on nw 4th or something). There is one victim and no suspects. We will keep you updated". No update ever happens. There is zero follow-up and accountability.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    All local news is terrible.

Anytime anything happens, and they actually report, it usually consists of "A shooting occurred in NW OKC (actually downtown on nw 4th or something). There is one victim and no suspects. We will keep you updated". No update ever happens. There is zero follow-up and accountability.
    I"m not sure what channels you watch, but that isn't my experience. I just watched the evening news on KFOR and there were updates on several previously reported stories.

saw a Logo for a "5 Star Media Group" on KWTV the other day. Is this the end for griffin commutations it showed griffin communications on their closing segment as of the end of the 6 am broadcast

19. Default Re: KWTV News 9 on a decline.

During my time in OKC, I have preferred channel 4. While I like Mike and Emily, David on channel 9 is the most interesting to watch during a tornado. However, have started putting 4, 5, 9, and 25 all on my TV (kind of like pic in pic, but one in each quadrant) and turning the sound to whichever one looks the most promising at the time.

The rest of the news I typically find online.

saw a Logo for a "5 Star Media Group" on KWTV the other day. Is this the end for griffin commutations it showed griffin communications on their closing segment as of the end of the 6 am broadcast
    I think 5 Star Media is a production company for commercials and infomercials.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesta Parker View Post
    I was at Beaver Lake in NW Arkansas over Memorial Day weekend when multiple tornados came through the Rogers area after midnight. Talk about a difference in local TV storm coverage. In OKC , you know exactly when and where the storm is. The storm information being provided in Rogers was about 10 minutes old, an eternity when a tornado is around. My hat is off to the KWTV weather team for their great coverage.
    Grew up in OKC. Still work in the metro four days of the week.. The other three I am at our farm in McDonald County just fifteen minutes north of Bentonville. That night I had the same realization as you. The coverage was a joke. The following day it was even worse as there were some small, but still rotating storms coming in from the west. The weather guy actually told everyone to not get excited due to the wall cloud and that was only a small part of the tornado threat. He was more interested in keeping people calm than telling them the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    I agree. I have noticed that Lacey Swope seems to be headed for the top meteorologist job too. I think she is very good at weather forecasting.
    They seem to be propping her up as David Payne's Replacement, Seeing Commercials showing her as The Oklahoma Weather Expert. (the title reserved for David Payne)

lol

They seem to be propping her up as David Payne's Replacement, Seeing Commercials showing her as The Oklahoma Weather Expert. (the title reserved for David Payne)
    I noticed recently that every on air weather person is introduced as “Oklahoma Weather Expert” when their segment starts. Haven’t noticed if David Payne is now “Most Expert Oklahoma Weather Expert”.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I noticed recently that every on air weather person is introduced as “Oklahoma Weather Expert” when their segment starts. Haven’t noticed if David Payne is now “Most Expert Oklahoma Weather Expert”.
    Don't give them any ideas.

Thread Information